27

VERONICA MALFOY

"Do you hear that?" Draco whispered. My fearful thoughts were interrupted and I listened in. It was the sound of voices and footsteps. "What do we do?" I asked. "Just don't anger them. I know you'll want to fight back but you'll only make it worse. If it really is the Dark Lord, you must show respect. Do you understand?" he asked. My heart was racing and I was shaking. "Ronnie tell me understand!" he exclaimed. "I understand." I said quickly. I heard the sound of footsteps coming down the stairs and the door opened. Four death eaters walked in, followed by my father and mother, then a man I didn't recognize and 2 more death eaters dragging someone down. I looked closer and the lights turned on. I saw that the person the death eaters were dragging was Mattheo. He could barely stand and there was blood on the side of his face. "Mattheo!" I yelled. "Silence." the man snapped. Draco bowed his head and I copied. "My Lord." Draco said. Then I realized it. That man was the Dark Lord. I'd never seen him before in the flesh. As you can imagine, Mattheo doesn't have many family photos. "So you are the girl that's captured my son's heart." he said sarcastically as he walked up to me. He used his wand to lift my chin. I looked at him and tried to conceal my fear. "I tried to teach my son that love is a weakness. He's refused to comply with that belief. And look where it's gotten him." he said. Mattheo looked at me and I could see the guilt in his eyes. "I'm sorry." he mouthed. "My son has gone to great lengths to protect you. I believe he is overestimating his power. What should I do about that?" he said casually. "Please My Lord. Please just don't hurt him." I said. "I would never do that." he said in a mocking tone. "I've seen the scars. I know what you are capable of. Do what you feel is necessary to me but you have hurt him enough." I said. "No." Mattheo said. He tried to pull from the death eaters grip but they threw him to the ground and pinned him there. "How very brave. Don't you fear what I may do to you?" he asked. "I'd be foolish not to. But there is a difference between fearing and caring. I fear it but I don't care." I said. "Mattheo was right about you, you would make a strong death eater." he said. "Thanks." I mumbled. "Unfortunately that's a discussion for another time. Right now, I must teach my son a lesson. And another unfortunate aspect is my son doesn't care much about what happens to him anymore. So the only real way to punish him is to punish you." he said. "Don't you fucking touch her. I'll kill you!" Mattheo yelled. "Silence son." he said. He flicked his wrist and Mattheo couldn't speak. "Crucio" he said and light flashed. I felt the pain hit me and it was stronger than anything I've ever felt. I screamed and I could feel my vocal cords tearing. I thrashed in the chair and I ripped through the bonds. I fell to the floor and I started to get dizzy. Then the spell broke. "Well that was entertaining." he said. I laid on the floor trying to catch my breath. "Have you learned your lesson?" he asked Mattheo. "Yes, yes just please stop. Leave her alone please." he begged. "It seems you've learned but one more for good measure." he said. "No!" Draco cried out. "Crucio" he spoke again. Another light flashed and I couldn't breathe. It was like my chest was being crushed and every bone was breaking. I screamed and sweat covered my body. Then the spell broke. I laid on the floor unable to move as tears poured down my cheeks. I looked around and I saw my mother. A tear fell down her cheek and she wiped it away. "Now Mattheo, I can mark her too." Tom Riddle said darkly. He knelt down next to me and lifted up my shirt. I closed my eyes and felt a cold blade pressed to my body. Then he sliced into my skin and I screamed. "Stop! Please Stop!" Draco yelled. He finished carving whatever he was carving and stepped back admiring it.

"Well, we have business to discuss. Let's leave the children down here to discuss what they learned today." Tom Riddle said. Then they all walked out and locked the door. Mattheo rushed over and untied Draco. Then he pulled me into his arms and moved the hair that was stuck with sweat away from my face. "Veronica, can you hear me?" he asked. I nodded weakly. "I'm sorry. I'm so sorry. I never meant for this. I was supposed to keep you safe." he said. He pressed down on the cut to stop the bleeding. I held his face with my hand and smiled. "Ok...it's ok." I said. I could barely speak. I felt my eyelids get heavy and my vision blurred. "Ronnie, come on. Stay awake for me." Draco said. Then it all went dark.

DRACO MALFOY

"Fuck!" I yelled. I shook my sister and she was unconscious. "How could I let this happen?" Mattheo said. I noticed the tears in his eyes and as much as I wanted to blame him, I knew I couldn't. "It's not your fault." I mumbled. "I'm supposed to protect her." he said. I sighed. "So am I. My mother always told me...My sister, My responsibility. I'm supposed to protect her too." I said. He nodded. "She's my sister. My twin. I can't imagine what I would do if I lost her. I can't imagine how I would feel. She's been there my whole life. Imagining living a life without her would be like living a life with this constant hole that I could never fill." I said. "I'll try Malfoy. I'll do whatever it takes until my dying breath to keep her safe." he said. I nodded. "Then I need you to promise me something." I said. "Anything." he said. "Promise me..."