73

VERONICA MALFOY

There were more footsteps and I turned around. Standing behind me was Draco, Mattheo, Bellatrix and 5 other death eaters. Here it is... the beginning of the end.

Harry saw Bellatrix and a look of concern covered his face. "Veronica, get behind me," he said. I thought I wouldn't feel anything. I thought I wouldn't care about doing this. But I do. I feel guilty.

I drew my wand and slowly backed away from Harry. "I'm sorry." I said only loud enough for him. His face dropped and he drew his wand. The death eaters did the same. I stood next to Mattheo and Draco and we were in a dueling stance. We were ready. I was ready too.

"Veronica, what are you doing? You- you told me- what about us?" he asked. Mattheo laughed. "Wow Ronnie, you really have him wrapped around your finger, don't you?" he said. I smirked. "And other parts of her body." Mattheo said. "Oh piss off. It's not like I enjoyed it. Besides, we still had our time in the ROR." I said. Mattheo laughed. "Touche," he said. I ignored Harry's shock. "So what? You were just using me?" he asked. I shrugged. "In a way. Technically, you were using me. I was tasked to distract you. But in reality..." I said. Draco and I yanked up our sleeves to reveal our marks.

"It was both of you the whole time," Harry said in shock. "Yes, yes, 50 points to Gryffindor for almost figuring it out. You got close with Katie Bell." Mattheo said smugly. "Then I took care of that." I said. Harry had tears in his eyes. Those were hard to ignore. But I did. I ignored his tears and mine. "So you just- I meant nothing to you?" he asked.

I paused. He did. For a time, he did. I cared about him. Despite all of this, I risked my life to stop my aunt at the Burrow. So maybe yes, he did mean something. But I lied anyway.

"Sorry Potter" I said with a shrug. "Enough with the talk, do it Draco." Bellatrix snapped. I rolled my eyes at my aunt. "Draco, you are no assassin." Dumbledore said. He scoffed. "How do you know what I am? This is as much your fault as anyone else. You never cared about anyone other than your chosen one." he snapped. "You made your choice when you continuously sent them home year after year. You knew it wasn't safe for them. Severus told you. You did nothing and they paid the price!" Mattheo yelled. "I would say this isn't personal, but it is." Draco said. "Please, let me help you." Dumbledore said. "It's too late! You know when I needed your help? When my father almost beat Veronica or my mother or myself to death, when Veronica was kidnapped and raped. Or when Blaise was stabbed. You had your chance. You had a lot of chances." Draco yelled. "It's too late." I spat.

"Don't you understand? I have to do this. I have to kill you..." Draco said.

"Or he's going to kill us." I said.

Draco looked at me and I saw it. The fear. The pain. The same things I felt. I nodded and took his hand. He pointed his wand at Dumbledore and took a breath. "Draco, you have to do it." Mattheo whispered. "Now!" Bellatrix yelled. I squeezed his hand and fought back tears.

"No." a familiar voice said. I whipped around and there was Snape. He had his wand trained on Dumbledore. Draco pulled me out of his way and Mattheo stood in front of me.

"Severus...please." Dumbledore said. Sev looked at him and then us. Then Mattheo nodded.

"Avada Kedavra" he said. The green light flashed and Dumbledore was gone.

"No!" Harry screamed. He looked over the ledge and watched him fall. The death eaters started leaving. "Children, we have to leave. Now." Sev said. I started to go when someone grabbed my arm. I was yanked back and I faced Harry. Draco and Mattheo were already down the stairs and it was just us. We had our wands aimed at each other & I had tears in my eyes. He did too.

"Please don't make me hurt you Harry." I said calmly. "How could you?" he said. I said nothing. "Answer me! Fucking say something!" he yelled. "I didn't have a choice." I said. "Bullshit." he spat. "He was going to kill me. Me, Draco, my mum, my father. He would kill us all. I had no choice." I said. "There's always a choice," he said. I shook my head. "Not for people like me." I said. "You never loved me, did you?" he asked. A tear fell and I forced a smile. "I did." I said. A part of me might always care for him.

"But I love my brother and Mattheo more." I added. Tears fell to his cheeks. "I wish you had thought this through before I went and fell in love with you," he said. "You deserve better than someone like me anyway," I said. "Veronica!" I heard Snape yell. "Go." he said. I nodded and turned to leave. Then I stopped. "There was one thing I never lied about." I said. "What?" he asked. "If I thought it would change anything, I really would have killed myself." I said.

"Is that the only thing that was true?" He called after me. I stopped in my tracks. "Are you going back there to be raped again?" he asked. I turned and looked at him one more time.

"I told you there's no other choice for me. Goodbye Potter." I said. Then I caught up with Draco and Mattheo. I don't know if we'll ever return.

It's over. He's dead. So is any innocence Draco and I had left.