49

TIME JUMP: 1 MONTH

VERONICA MALFOY

"Ronnie, it's time." Draco said. He stood in my doorway in his black suit. I wore a plain black dress with sheer sleeves, tights and heels. My hair was in a bun and I had minimal makeup to conceal the fact I had been crying. My mark hurts...still. I was worried. Draco said his mark didn't hurt anymore. Only when we were being summoned. But mine, mine still hurts. I didn't know what it meant. I couldn't tell Draco because he was already worried enough about me as it is. The only person I could ask was Mattheo. But I won't. I'm still trying to hate him.

"Are you ready?" he asked. I looked at him as I grabbed my wand and tucked it in my cloak. "Yes." I said. He nodded and we walked downstairs. Mum stood there with a small smile on her face. "Remember, speak when spoken to, listen closely, don't show weakness and do whatever he asks. Is that clear?" she said. We both nodded. "I'm proud of you two." she said. "Mum, we are death eaters. That's not something to be proud of." I said. She sighed and shook her head. "I'm proud of you for being there for eachother. I know you didn't want this, and I'm sorry this is your life but-" she started. "Mum-" Draco said, cutting her off. "It's alright, we'll be fine." I said.

"Apparate." she said. The world spun and we landed in Diagon Alley. "Follow me." she said. Draco held out his hand and I looked at it. "I'm not scared." I said. I was lying. He forced a smile...

"I am." he said softly. I nodded and took his hand. Then we followed mum. We stopped outside of a store and mum went inside. "Borgin & Burkes?" I said. He shrugged. Then we went in.

When we stepped inside, it was immediately cold. I looked around at the room filled with death eaters. At least 10 of them. Then I saw The Dark Lord... Then I locked eyes with him.

Mattheo stood next to his father and looked at me. His face was pale and he had bags under his eyes. There was a cut on the side of his head and he had a huge bruise on his cheek. I could tell by the way he was breathing that his ribs were injured. It hurt to look at him.

"Ah, The Malfoy Twins, welcome." The Dark Lord said. "My Lord." Draco and I said, bowing our heads. He nodded at us. "Do you know why you are here?" he asked. "To serve you, My Lord." Draco said. He smirked at us. "Very good," he said. He walked over and began to circle us.

"I have a task for each of you." he said. I looked at Mattheo and he had sorrow in his eyes. "What is it, My Lord?" I asked. He walked over to a large cabinet with iron detailing. "Do you know what this is?" he asked calmly. We both shook our heads. "It's a vanishing cabinet," he said. Draco reached out his hand and ran it over the smooth wood. "It has a twin, in Hogwarts. Together they form a passage." he said. Draco and I looked at him. "Unfortunately, the one in Hogwarts is broken. Draco..." he said pausing.

"Your job is to mend it." he said. He nodded. "Yes My Lord," Draco said. I couldn't stop looking at Mattheo. "Then what am I to do?" he asked. "Then you are to kill Albus Dumbledore." he said. My heart stopped. "Do you understand?" The Dark Lord asked. "Yes, I understand." Draco replied.

"Good, now you Veronica." The Dark Lord said looking at me. "My Lord?" I questioned. "Ever since I've announced my return, the order has come back together. Harry Potter is going to more paranoid then ever." he said. Mattheo looked at me with tears in his eyes. "What would you like me to do My Lord?" I asked. "Provide a distraction" he replied.

"A distraction? How?" I asked. "Seduce him. Make him fall in love with you. Whatever you have to do to keep him distracted." he said. I just nodded. "If Harry Potter discovers what your brother is doing before the right time- well let's just say you don't want that." he said. " I understand My Lord." I said. He gave me cruel smile. "Good." he stated.

Draco's hand tensed in mine as he thought of what we had to do and we looked at each other.

"I suggest you do not fail, if your family disappoints me again, the consequences will be severe." he said. I swallowed my fear and nodded. "We won't fail you My Lord." I said. He gave me a smug grin. "I should hope not..." he started. He walked over to me and leaned in to whisper in my ear. "I know you know what would happen and I'm sure you fear that, don't you?" he whispered. My eyes watered and I blinked back tears. He was taunting me. "Yes," I said barely above a whisper. He nodded. "Excellent. Now that this is all settled, I must be going. I can't be here too long." he said. Within a split second, he and Mattheo were gone. I let a single tear fall before I quickly wiped it away.

"Children, get home ok? I have business to attend to and you cannot be present." mum said. Draco and I nodded. I took his hand and we apparated home. Draco and I sat in my room and he was pacing. "Draco, breathe." I said. "This is all his fault." he snapped. "What? Who?" I asked. "Father," he said. I furrowed my brow. "If he hadn't failed the Dark Lord, we wouldn't have to do this. It's payback, revenge, whatever. It's punishment to our father, making us do this."

"You're right."...