Chapter 2: Too familiar

Near the end of the hall, next to Steve's room, Y/N was shown into their room. Olive green walls were lit up by the light flowing in from the beautiful, large windows across from the door. Their own full bathroom was attached to the right side of the room.

As they looked around, Y/N wondered where all the tech could be that Tony was talking about. Just as they had begun to open their mouth to ask, a familiar voice was heard from the back of their head.

"It's not easily seen, but it's definitely all there. I watched him install it all himself." The redhead stated with a smile. 

Y/N turned around to see Wanda Maximoff standing in their doorway. Their breath hitched at the sight of her, taking in her bright red hair and blue eyes. The two hadn't seen or spoken to each other in years.

"Wanda- wow. It's- it's good to see you." They stuttered trying to get the words out.

Steve was able to quickly feel the energy in the room shift as the two were finally in the same room again since their last discussion that had left them both in ruins. "I'm gonna head out to catch up with Bruce. He wanted to show me something earlier and I assume that you all would like some... time." 

Before heading out, he pulled Y/N into a quick side hug. "I'll catch you later before dinner. Don't forget to call your mom when you get the chance."

Wanda gave Steve a smile as she watched him leave the room and close the door behind him. An awkward silence fell between the two when Wanda's eyes made their way back to Y/N.

"Uh.. so. How have you been? What's new?" Y/N asked as their voice continued to shake. Their mind was racing with the memories of the last time they had seen Wanda's face. Tear stained with bright red cheeks. Her eyes bluer than ever after crying for hours.

She smiled at the question, "I've been good. It's been a while, hasn't it?"

"Two years, I believe," Y/N replied as they gestured toward the bed. "Let's sit." 

As the two sat on opposite sides of the bed, Wanda spoke again before letting the awkward silence fall between them again.

"I don't want things to be awkward while you're here, Y/N. Like you said, it's been two years."

Y/N's eyes widened as they fell to their hands that were fiddling in their lap. Two years, they thought, two years since we nearly broke each other, you mean

"Yeah, you're right. Just.. weird. Seeing you, I mean. We haven't talked since we last... talked."

Wanda laughed a bit. Mostly at the comment, but also at Y/N's awkward demeanor that she always found charming. "We don't have to talk about that. Any of it. It's in the past and I want you to have a fresh start here. We don't have to worry about what happened."

Y/N tried to hide the hard swallow as they choked down the uncomfortable feeling in their throat. It had been two years since they saw each other, but not speaking for those two years following caused many confusing feelings for Y/N when they saw her face again for the first time.

"It might take some time, but I'm sure the more we're around each other, the less awkward this will all feel," Y/N replied.

"Exactly," Wanda answered with a smile. "I'll leave you be to get settled now, though. We're all having dinner together tonight to celebrate your first night with us. I believe Pepper said it should be done around 7."

Y/N was already starting to feel a bit better knowing that the initial uncomfortable conversation with Wanda was over. They smiled and nodded at her, "Thank you. I'll see you then."

Wanda left and closed the door behind her, leaving Y/N alone with their thoughts. They quickly realized that uncomfortable and confusing feeling coming up again, so they searched the room for the tech that Tony said he'd installed.

In an hour, they'd only found a remote that controlled the window blinds, lights, and doors. Just as they were about to give up on the search, a soft knock came from their door.

"You're good!" They replied loud enough for the knocker to hear.

As the door opened, Y/N was able to see Nat's head peek in but not look at them. Shaking their head and laughing, Y/N waved their hands toward them, "Come in, Nat."

"I bring a new face, though. Are you decent?"

Their eyebrows furrowed. A new face? They wondered. I've already seen everyone.

Letting out another laugh, they responded back to Nat, "Yes I'm decent Natasha, come in."

As the door swung open, Nat entered with her sister. Y/N sucked their lips in and looked down but quickly oriented themselves back to try their best to not be awkward.

"This is Yelena. My sister." Nat smiled while looking over at Yelena.

Y/N could tell that Yelena was also holding down a large smile with a smirk across her face. "It's nice to meet you, Y/N."

"Yeah, yes! It's nice to meet you, Yelena." Y/N responded while coughing through the awkward shakiness in their voice. "Maybe you two can help me find all this technology that Tony told me he put in my room."

Nat smiled before creeping toward the door, "Actually, I have a meeting with Nick in ten so I have to head out. Yelena can help you, though!"

Y/N felt their breath hitch at the back of their throat at the thought of Yelena being in their room with them alone. As they looked over at Yelena, they noticed that were already smiling back at them. Either this was planned, Y/N thought, or Nat just enjoys seeing me itch like this.

"Dinner is in an hour, so I'll see you both then!" She stated quickly while nearly jogging out of the room.

Alright, don't be awkward, just shake it out. She's just another girl, it's no big deal. Y/N said to themselves as they looked over at Yelena who was already searching the room to help find whatever Tony had hidden.

"What have you found so far?" She asked while tracing the bottom of the bed.

Y/N picked up the remote and showed her, "Just this. It just controls the lights, doors, and blinds."

Yelena turned around and grabbed the remote from Y/N's hands while laughing, "It does much more than that, Y/N."

As they furrowed their eyebrows, they followed her gaze up to the ceiling.

"Do you like stars?" Yelena asked.

"I love them," Y/N responded.

Yelena glanced down at Y/N who was still looking at the ceiling waiting for something to happen. She pressed the button at the top of the remote that caused a screen to pop up. The small noise it caused made Y/N turn around to see what Yelena was doing.

After she scrolled through the options, she finally found what she was looking for, "Here it is. Okay, look up!"

Y/N looked up to see the panels on the wall flip until they showed the night sky. While Y/N was looking, Yelena hit the buttons to close the blinds and shut the lights off.

"Holy. Shit." Y/N stated, "This is amazing. It's beautiful."

While they were taking in the stars, Yelena walked over to Y/N to hand the remote back, "Mess around with it later on. There's a ton of things on there that I'm sure you'll enjoy." She smiled while placing it in Y/N's hands.

"And then maybe I can come back tomorrow to see what else you've found," Yelena said as she laid her hand on their shoulder.