A Perfectionist

( ⚠️Ok so this chapter includes triggering things like death and crap like that so beware⚠️)

🌺 Leonessa 🌺

I was skipping along the side of the road, clutching a sheet of paper tightly in my hands as to not lose it.

School was over and I was on my way home with exciting news that I got a 100% for the oh so "difficult" test.

The kids in my class didn't like that and called me a few names but I didn't let it get to me since their peanut sized brains can't comprehend what 9x8 is.

I watch Harry Potter so I know a few spells and I know how to tame a few magical creatures.

Just because I'm 8 doesn't mean that I'm not superior to those mere mortals.

They all should sleep with both eyes open.

I was humming a random tune as I thought about my parents and Phoenix's reaction towards my awesome test score.

We'll probably go out for ice cream like we always do when I do well on my tests. I couldn't help but grin when I thought about eating the deliciously cold dessert.

It's been almost two years since mom and dad adopted me when I was 6 and I couldn't be happier with the family who actually wanted me.

Phoenix, their son, didn't resent me but instead welcomed me with open arms.

He's the best big brother I could ask for.

And of course there are many ups and downs but we always forgive and forget, well maybe not forget but I at least forgive, so it counts.

I fastened my pace when I saw our pale blue, two story house come into view.

I smiled widely as I couldn't wait to tell my family about my test score and possibly getting ice cream as a reward.

But when I closed the door and turned around, I immediately froze.

I could feel my face turning the same colour as the sheet of paper I dropped.

Because what I saw was my mom, laying on the floor with her dull eyes staring into mine, with a hole in her head and a pool of blood beneath it.

"Leonessa don't look!" Someone quickly exlaimed.

I snapped my head towards the voice who said that, only to see that it's my older brother, on his knees, looking at me with panic and pure terror.

His lip was busted and his face was covered in blue and purple bruises. His nose was bleeding and left a trail of blood down to his chin.

"Oh Leonessa! You're back from school, how was your day sweetheart?" Another voice asked happily despite the situation.

My eyes looked up to see Derrick, my adoptive father, with a bright smile on his face, but that smile was one that would appear in my nightmares for the rest of my life.

Then something shiny in his hand caught my eye and when I saw exactly what it was, my blood ran cold.

A black pistol.

Probably the same pistol that took my adoptive mother's life.

I couldn't breath.

My vision started to get blurry as my brain went blank.

I don't know how but the next thing I know, I was harshly thrown down to the floor next to my brother.

My father came back into view with the same bright smile on his face.