the aftermath

Tyler's pov

The blinding lights burn my eyes as I wake. I try to look around but the brace around my neck makes it impossible. My eyes wonder around, blinking profusely as they adjust to the bright lights. Taking in the white walls, open windows, the pots of flowers around my bed. My eyes land on the sleeping, red haired man. I smile to myself, ignoring the pain coming from inside my mouth. I go to speak, to open my mouth but I can't. What the fuck?

There's a knock on the door, and I stupidly whip my head to the direction of the door. A sharp pain shoots through my neck as a nurse walks inside. He notices that Joshua is still asleep so he just continues about his job. He walks closer to me and that's when I realize, I can only see out of one eye. That mother fucker took my vision!

"Oh shit! You scared me!" The nurse laughed, and almost waited for me to say something. When I didn't give him a response, he continued talking. "I'm just checking your stats, giving you your hourly medicine. Has anyone been in to talk to you in the last hour..." He trailed off and looked at me. "Oh my god, you're awake! Oh my God!"

He ran back out to the main hall when I heard moving around besides me. I looked over at Joshua as he he stretched and sat up. He looked at me and then something clicked in his brain. 

"Holy fuck! You're awake!" 

//

I gave him a confused look as he smiled and nodded. "Yeah, 5 days. I was here everyday. I'm pretty sure I got fired." He laughed. 

I tried smiling but it only caused me pain. "The doctors told me to create a way to communicate with you since you can't speak. I figured you could just blink once for yes and twice for no, does that sound good?" I blinked once and he smiles. "Man, I gotta tell ya, it's weird not hearing your voice. I miss it." He said softly. 

I tried smiling again, not thinking about the pain I'd feel.  "So," He said. "Do you want to know the extent of your injuries?" I blinked once and he smiled. "Okay, well hang tight, you got it pretty bad. I'll start with the bad ones first. He somehow manged to break a part of your collarbone, the doctors said that should take around 7 months to fully heal. He broke three of your ribs, they should take 3 to 4 months to heal. He ruptured your kidney, that's only one month to heal. Broke your pelvis, that's 2 months. Broke your jaw, that's why you can't speak, that's another 3 months. Your right eardrum was blown, that's 1 to 2 months. He broke your left hand and your right arm, your hand will only take 3 weeks and your arm will be about 1 month. You have a lot of swelling around your left eye, and the doctors aren't sure if it'll go away yet. They said it's too early to tell for something like that. If it doesn't go away, well then you'd just look like a badass pirate with an eye patch. That's about all, the doctors will most likely give you much more in depth answers and such." 

He paused and sighed. "I'm sorry he did this to you, but you can make it through this. I know you can." 

Holy shit. I'm alive.