Ch.23 Oh, baby.

"A baby shower?"

Izuku lay sprawled on his bed, phone against his ear talking to Uraraka, Katzume was asleep and he took the opportunity to relax in his nest. Katsuki was out getting groceries for them since they were running low supplies.

"Yeah totally, it's a great idea, you could get free things and everyone and can meet Katzume."

Ochako chatted over the phone, taking a sip of her warm jasmine tea, the steam warming the tip of her nose.

The line went quiet as Izuku tugged on a baby hair, biting his lip.

"I-I don't know Ocha, I mean. Isn't that a little much? And aren't you supposed to have a shower before the pup is born?"

She tutted across the phone, clicking her tongue,

"Not at all, typically it's easier since the mother doesn't have to take care of the baby, but I'm sure it'll be fine, plus I know everyone is dying to meet your pup."

He frowned, looking over at his sleeping child, "I don't think it's a good idea, I've been really..."

He was reminded of the bags under his eyes and the increased self-deprecating thoughts, to say the least he wasn't feeling like himself. And having to pretend in front of all his friends really wasn't all that appealing.

"Tired...Really tired, Katzume hasn't been sleeping again."

That much was true, he had decided 1 am was peak time to be wide awake. Then he would take an extra thirty to be put back again, then he would sleep for an hour. And the cycle repeated itself.

He rubbed his eyes tiredly, if only he would go to sleep and just stop crying-.... He stopped that thought where it was. Maybe he should ask his mom to watch Katzume for a day...

Can't you even take care of your own pup by yourself?

Tears welled in his eyes as he shook his head, 'It's nothing just thoughts, you're fine.'

'I'm fine'

"Izuku? We don't have to have a shower if you don't want to, I just wanted to do something for you but if-"

The other omega quickly backtracking after hearing the sniffles. He quickly wiped his face not even realizing when the tears had started, " No-No! It's-..Fine really, I think it's a good idea."

He steeled himself, he should do this. It will be good for him and Katzume. He tried to force down the uncertainty, wiggling it's way up his throat. He should do this and truth be told he did, in some ways, miss his friends.

"You sure? I mean, you don't sound okay with it.." He could hear the concern in her voice, the last thing he wanted was his friends to worry about him.

" Yeah I'm good, and I'm sure, I can't wait to see what you guys get for Katzume."

Urakaka sighed, setting down her empty tea mug, listening to the quiet crackling of the line.

"If you say you're really fine I'll believe you , we'll figure out the details some other time over tea, yeah?"

"Sounds like a plan." He inhaled, noticing the distress phermenoes he'd unintentionally let into the air.

As if on cue he heard the upset cry of his baby as it rattled the air.

"Sounds like you gotta go." Ochako remarked, earning an annoyed grumble.

"Yeah, we'll talk later okay, bye Ochako."

"Bye." she hummed hearing the beep of the line a Izuku cooed to his pup. She put down her phone, taking the tea pot and pouring herself another cup. She sipped it quietly, a small frown wrinkling her lip, he may try to hide it but there was definitely something up.

She held her mug in her lap staring at the reflections on the tea's surface. Izuku was always like that, stubborn never letting anyone in on his real struggle, she thought that maybe after all these years he would be a little more open.

The quiet hum of the city buzzed outside her apartment, the click of the ventilation système the only sound in the house.

She sat in the quiet of one of her fews days off, crime had been rising due to Izuku's absence, saying things like he was permanently retired.

She huffed and blew on her tea.

Izuku would never retire out of the blue like that, he had worked so hard and long for his dream and now just because of a leave everything he's done goes out the window?

She sighed heavily, feeling the gravity of these thoughts, she stared down at her cup, the little bits floating around in the steaming liquid.

Suddenly a crack appeared in her mug making her drop it suddenly with a shriek. She rushed off to grab a towel leaving the tea on the floor.

It spilled across the carpet, the liquid soaking into fabric, staining the pure white cloth.