Chapter 57

Masha

A wet, cool nose nudged my face. I winced, and slowly opened my eyes. I saw bare earth and blackened grass, ash and smoke wafting on the breeze.

"He's awake! Masha, can you get up?" asked Keanu, as he wave the others away to make a room for me as I slowly sat.

After a take a deep breath to calm myself, I climbed on my feet. I frowned, wondering what haf happened, and looked around. Smoke and charred meat filled my nose, and I sneezed. Bodies were burnt past recognition and lay scattered across the ground under the trees, and there wasn't a tree or patch of ground untouched by flame and smoke.

Several wolves sniffed at the bodies or huddled together, and they ducked their heads when they saw me looking, afraid to meet my eyes. I lifted a brow at that, and shrugged.

"Where are Uncle and Mickey?" he asked, suddenly worried he'd scorched the two, and turn to his father, frantic. He pointed with his chin, his eyes glittering. He looked where he indicated and smiled in relief, glad to see the both of them were untouched by the lightning storm.

He ran over the wet earth, squishing under his bare feet. Mickey got up, covered in mud and blood. Keanu's brother was still on the ground, in his human form, naked and bloody. He was pale and shivering, and a a small gray wolf hovering at his side, licking his shoulder, the alpha wolf slowly blinking and quite dazed.

"You okay, Masha?" Keanu asked gruffly, and suddenly reached out, grabbing both of my shoulders, pulling me close. "What the hell was that?"

"I stopped them, Father. That's all," I said instead of answering. I actually wasn't too sure of myself, and couldn't think of anything else to say. "Has anyone heard from Louis and his team?"

I could feel a burning rage along with my connection to my mate, my mate's full focus and attention on whatever task he was performing. I tried to get through, but Louis was too intent, his anger and bloodlust overpowering, and I gave up after a few tries.

"Because I lost my connection to them a few minutes ago," I said, worry evident on my voice. "I think something happened."

"I can feel them, but its faint," Keanu growled, his dark eyes glowing, his hands tight on Masha's shoulders.

"Then we go to them," I said, and stepped back in the mud and gore. Keanu's brother tried to stand, but fell back to the damp earth. I hurried to his side, and put a hand on the alpha's bulky chest. For some reason I know what to do. I poured power and strength back into him, and the dull haze over his eyes cleared, and his shivering ceased. He inhaled deeply, and then nodded in thanks to me. I helped the alpha to his feet, and called to his power again.

He found his wolf-form in less than a thought's time, and waited for the others to Change.

I waited only a few heartbeats, his body vibrating with the need to run, but I would not leave them behind. They may be capable alphas and beta warriors, but I'm aware that I was the strongest here, and they were mine to protect.

But my heart was with Louis... and my alpha was out there hunting.

###

Louis

All the vehicles were either disabled or the drivers dead, torn apart on the pavement. I'm covered in blood, breathing through the heavy stench of fear that hovered over the pack gates.

I knelt on the freezing pavement at Dough's side, and pulled the wolf's head into my lap. He sighed, his great form heaving with the effort to keep himself under control. I felt his pain, the shotgun blast having torn through fur, skin, muscle and tendons along his side, the silver in the buckshot burning and searing flesh. It was serious, perhaps mortal, and I feared he would not make it through the injury, not without some crippling or maiming.

'I called for Chris...he is coming once my mother says it's safe,' I whispered.

He look at me and panted, mouth open, his blood still seeping from the long wound along his ribs and flank. His golden eyes were the barest lines in his dark chocolate brown furred face, and I gently petted his ears.

The storm was calmer, the rain falling slow. His eyes shut, the golden light dimming.

"I know Chris can help you, just hang in there as long as you can," I whispered, droplets of rain running down on my cheeks, tears pricking my eyes. "Stay awake, don't go to sleep."

'I won't...' Dough said, so softly. I bit my lip, refusing to cry, my other team mates nearby watching, silent. They all waited, I called wordlessly to the rest of my team to wait at the gates, and they came, in ones and twos, hunkering down in their wolf-forms and watching me as I held Dough. I might have known him for a short time, but he's still one of my wolves. He's my responsibility. Dough's heart still beat, slow and struggling, the poison from the silver coursing through his veins.

"Stay awake," I ordered, unleashing the Alpha's dominance on him. Just a small amount, the power barely tangible, but enough to affect him. I shuddered, and he opened his eyes and his mind came back from the edge of consciousness. "I haven't given you permission to die, dammit."

'Ugh,' Dough gasped, the pain brutal now that I was forcing him to stay alert and conscious. His heart thundered, offbeat and labored.

'Stay awake! Stay alive! I am ordering you to stay here!' I hugged him to my chest, crying now, not caring if my team saw me or not. I was a killer, an alpha, and even I don't have strength to stop death. A lot of my wolves have died tonight. I don't want to witness another death. Not on my watch.

'My love, my mate, don't worry I'm here I will help.' I was startled when I heard Masha answered my cry.

I looked up, down the road towards the tree line, and I could see, my little mate moving faster than the wolves who struggled to keep pace with him.

Masha broke through the wind and rain, shining brighter than the Northern Star, running full out and devouring the distance between them. Dough went limp just as Masha leaped over to us, gracefully kneeling at my side. And then he put his hands over Dough's wounds.

Burning heat and blinding light erupted from under my mate's hands, and I was forced to look up. I watched my mate's face, and the serenity and joy there made my tears fall all faster. Somehow I knew one of my wolf will be saved...

________________________________________________