Prologue

Tommy Henry was just your normal teenager. He went to school, made bad decisions, and even made a very few good decisions, except there was one huge difference: He had been living in the foster system for 15 years, and to say the least, it was a complete and utter nightmare. Tommy had been in and out of homes for as long as he could remember, never staying very long. Most of those families only did it for the money anyway.

Each stay always ended with him having some sort of mental or physical scar.

And once again, Tommy sat in the passenger seat of his social workers black SUV on his way to a new traumatic experience. Every thought was going through his head. How long will I last? Will I come out in one piece? What is this family like?

Tommy didn't know much about this new family except it was a single father and his two twin sons who were either 17 or 18 (He wasn't quite sure). He wasn't too focused on the information his social worker was telling him, he just stared out the window, waiting. Waiting for the moment the family called back Peggy to come take him back.

The black car slowly came to a stop in front of a big house on the good side of the city. If Tommy didn't know better, it seemed to be the richer side of it, this guy must have a very good job. He picked up his red backpack from the foot of the front car seat before exiting the car. His bag was covered in all sorts of stains, from dirt to maybe even a splash of a red substance Tommy chose to believe was cordial and with it on his back he carried his life. Everything he owned.

He followed the older, ginger haired woman up the stairs to the big front door. She turned her focus to the blonde-haired boy in front of her and moved the hair out of his eyes.

"Ready Tommy?" She smiled, placing her hand on his shoulder. For only being 15 (Nearly 16) He was pretty tall, standing at 6' 3". He just silently nodded as Peggy rang the doorbell. Tommy looked behind him, catching his attention to a small boy across the street laying on the grass. He had brown hair and sat in front of a flower garden, his mouth moving but no one to talk to. Tommy rolled his eyes and directed his attention back to the big front door as it clicked open, presumably being unlocked.

It revealed an older man with nearly-platinum blonde hair which nearly reached his shoulders. He had on a green and white striped bucket hat, green (nearly kimono) robe-like clothing and a grey (nearly black) long cardigan to top it off. He smiled warmly.

"Phil Watson? Peggy Buckem, we spoke on the phone" Peggy smiled as she shook the man's hand.

"Yes, do come in" He welcomed warmly. Phil. So that was the dad Tommy presumed. Tommy followed Peggy and Phil down a small hallway which had exactly 6 photo frames hung on the wall. 2 were of one boy with fluffy brown hair, 2 of another who had one blonde hair and the other a light pink, and the final two being the family of 3. His grip on his bag strap tightened as he entered an open kitchen and living room. Phil gestured for his two guests to sit on the couch, which Tommy did so.

Tommy looked around, examining the big house. It was two-storey, with a staircase leading up sitting behind him, nearly in the kitchen, but divided by a door which could easily be a bedroom, or cupboard.

Many things ran through the teens mind.

What does this guy do for a living?

Where are his other two sons?

Is this guy actually thinking he'll actually like me?

What was with that weird kid across the street?

Tommy snapped his thoughts as Phil opened his mouth and turned his attention to the teenager who was sitting in his lounge.

"It's a pleasure to finally meet you Tommy" the older man smiled "I hope you feel comfortable here" he was warm and inviting, however, most families seemed that way until Peggy left. He wasn't that naive. He put on a fake smiled and said a silent 'thank you'

Phil didn't seem to mind Tommy's shyness. He just looked at him with fatherly eyes.

Soon enough, Peggy was gone and it was just Tommy. Phil turned around after he shut the door to look at the teen in front of him. Tommy stood there, waiting to be shoved into a closet which was to be his 'room' or to be reticule and beat just for being in the same room.

He was snapped out of his daydream, more so of a nightmare, when Phil places a warming hand on his shoulder. Tommy flinched, Phil seeming to notice he just whispered.

'It's okay. This is a safe environment'

Tommy just nodded. The older man gestured for Tommy to follow him up the stairs, which he did, not wanting to tick the man off. Phil led him to a door, it was the farthest from the stairs and sat at the end of an open, small corridor, having passed two other doors. One with a sign that read 'The Blade' on it and the other door with a symbol of a guitar and music notes. They were clearly from years ago that weren't taken off. Two other doors sat at the top of the stairs.

"That's my room and then the bathroom" Phil pointed as they walked past the doors. "Then that's Techno's room, I wouldn't advise knocking unless it's important, and then that's Wilbur's, if you need anything, he's a nice guy who is always happy to help" they reached the final door. It was empty and plain with nothing on it "This will be your room" the man smiled as he opened the door.

The room was actually pretty big for a bedroom. There was a small slant in the roof but not enough for Tommy to have to duck under it. He could still have a desk and everything under it. Which there was. There wasn't much except a bed, desk, drawers and a mirror along with a box with a small TV in it.

"Sorry, we never got around to putting it up" the man apologised, he then turned to Tommy, who was shocked. He didn't know what to say, even though he wasn't planning on talking. He just looked around. "Tomorrow, we can go up to the mall and get you some clothes and decorations okay? I'll leave you to it then" the man walked towards the door before stopping. "if you need anything, don't be afraid to ask"

Tommy was alone. He slowly dropped his dirty bag into the dark blue covers of his bed. Taking out the contents.

One screen-shattered iPhone. One battered phone charger. Five T-Shirts. Three pairs of pants. And a dirty, old, plush dog.

He placed the dog onto the bed and smiled at it weakly. He began to place his other clothing items into the drawers and looked out the window, taking note that he could climb out onto the roof if he needed an escape. The same boy from before was still out there, except he was running around with his arms in the air. He looked to be Tommy's age. What a weird kid, he thought. Then, a small blue car parked itself into the drive way and two older boys got out and soon enough, the front door opened and slammed closed

——————————————————

Words: 1,297

First chapter!

The rest may be a bit smaller but I feel this is a good starter!

Feed back is welcomed!
-Ever