Not a Date

"I'm sorry," Naruto said as he and Sasuke sat in their room. They hadn't talked for a week. Naruto had tried, but Sasuke either ignored him completely or gave some excuse to leave so he didn't have to talk to the other teen.

Sasuke just remained silent, not wanting to talk about why he reacted the way he did. It wasn't as if he were going to tell his problems to Naruto. He couldn't explain his reasons so he just read his History book instead.

"Seriously Sasuke, I'm sorry about the research, about trying to make you talk, and about the fighting," Naruto said, just wanting them to start talking again. The blonde hated the tension between them.

Sasuke looked at him, putting down is book. The raven sighed and mumbled, "The fight wasn't really your fault." He knew it partially was, but it was more so his fault because he didn't tell Naruto about Orochimaru. He knew if Naruto knew about what happened to him, he wouldn't have gotten in his face. He had been talking to Suigetsu, whom had convinced him that it wasn't only Naruto's fault. Naruto may have gone about it the wrong way, but he hadn't necessarily done anything wrong. He wasn't intentionally hurting Sasuke, he just wanted to know what was going on.

"Wait, what?" Naruto asked, taken by surprise. He never expected Sasuke to take the blame for anything that had happened that day. Naruto had apologized because he wanted to get back to how things were, not because he thought that he was the cause of the whole problem.

"I said, it wasn't all your fault," Sasuke said, looking at him with a glare. Naruto knew not to ask him to repeat himself again because Sasuke wouldn't admit his fault again.

It wasn't often Sasuke took blame for things in their fights, so Naruto was happy to see him actually do so for once. "You're warming up to me, aren't you?" Naruto grinned as he moved closer to the raven. He couldn't help it, he knew Sasuke in high school Sasuke never would have taken blame; therefore, it was the only possible explanation.

"Shut up moron, I am not," Sasuke said pushing him away as he looked anywhere but the blonde. He hated that Naruto made it impossible for him to stay mad at him. He hated that Naruto had somehow become a friend, no matter how much he didn't want to admit it. He refused to acknowledge it to himself so he would never admit it out loud.

"Just admit it, you are. Otherwise, you'd do what you did in high school and just glare at me and act as if you wished I didn't exist," Naruto said with a smile. Sasuke rolled his eyes but didn't deny it. "See I knew we were friends," the blonde said as he put his arm around Sasuke.

Sasuke immediately pushed the arm off, "If you ever pull something like this again I won't be so forgiving," he warned the blonde. "And I never said you were my friend. I just said you were tolerable, remember?" There was no real bite behind his words, it seemed as if he were more reminding himself that they weren't friends.

"Okay, you can call it whatever you want but we're friends," Naruto laughed. Naruto grinned as he pulled Sasuke into a hug, "You won't regret it."

Sasuke winced as Naruto touched a bruise and quickly pushed him away, hoping the blonde didn't notice his reaction. He had though that after a week they would be gone and would no longer hurt, but he had no such luck. They were faded, but not completely gone. Maybe the pain was in his mind because he knew the bruise was still there. "No, we're not and even if we were that doesn't mean I want a hug." He fought the blush that was threatening to appear because of Naruto's closeness. He told himself that he wasn't used to being touched in that manner and that it had been so long that he would have felt that way if anyone had touched him.

"Right, sorry," Naruto stepped back. "You know, we've never hung out just you and me and before you say it, tutoring doesn't count."

"Why would we? We aren't friends," Sasuke reminded him. He didn't like the direction the conversation was heading. There were many reasons he could think of as to why it'd be a bad idea for them to hang out, many of which he didn't want to admit.