Chapter 32 | Sleigh Bells Jingling II

"OK, so from what I hear preggies can't drink egg nog. Gimme that cup." Mia snatches the etched glass cup out of my hand, spilling some of the egg nog on the linoleum kitchen floor.

"Mama!" I call into the living room.

"Girls! Ya'll about grown now!"

A knock on the door takes away her attention. "Let me get the door." Mama opens the door. "Welcome, welcome!"

"Merry Christmas, Mama." Penelope kisses Mama on the cheek and steps inside. "Brought you something." She gives Mama her favorite bottle of red wine.

Mama pulls it away from her face to read the label. "Oh, this put a dent in your wallet. I love this brand! Thank you, Penelope!"

"Nothing's too good for my hot mama!"

Mama bends down, hands on knees and tries to twerk.

"Work it, Mommy!" Penelope throws down pretend dollars.

"No! Don't work it!" Mia yells. "Not like that!"

"Break your back, Mama! Show 'em how it's done." I cheer her on.

Mama stands up laughing and out of breath. "Oh, you're the sweetest." She closes the door behind her. "Make yourself at home, dinner is almost ready."

Penelope removes her boots, leaving them at the door. She takes off her gloves, hat, scarf and coat. She looks at the spread on the dining room table. "Mama! This looks amazing. I can't wait to dig in. You make your famous rolls, this year?"

"You know it! Every year!"

Penelope looks over the table. "What we have yams, greens, cornbread, black eyed peas, macaroni and cheese, dressing, string beans, mashed potatoes, pot roast, carrots, sweet potato pie, cheesecake, apple pie. My mouth is watering just thinking about dinner."

Mama laughs. "Baby girl, if you can just take your coat and sit it on that coat rack in the living room, I can go check on the turkey."

"Sure thing!" Penelope goes into the living room and hangs her coat and purse on the rack.

"Piña!" I run up to her and grab her hand. "Girl, your hands are ice!" I pull back, then looking both ways, I whisper. "Can you go in the kitchen and get me some of Mama's eggnog punch." I look behind my back. "Make sure to put one of those scoops of vanilla ice cream in the cup too."

Penelope peeps game. "I got you." She sneaks into the kitchen and helps herself to the punch, making two cups of it and creeping back to the couch in the living room. Sliding down next to me, she passes the cup with a long dessert spoon. "Here you go."

"Thanks!" I whisper.

The doorbell rings.

Penelope and I look at each other.

"Who else is coming? It's always just us."

"No se, Chica."

Mama calls from the kitchen. "Mia, can you get the door. Let me baste this turkey."

"Gotchu, Mama." Mia opens the door. "Nick? What are you doing here?"

I peek around the corner. "They must be getting serious."

"Who, girl?" Penelope asks. "Spill the tea."

"Mama girl! Her and Nick. They're a thing, now."

"Wha?"