Chapter 5 | Gravestones

"Hey, Babe

"Hey, Babe. Whatcha doin'?" I ask.

"Nothing. Just getting ready for that dinner tonight."

"Oh, so you're at home?" I ask, flipping through channels.

"Yep, heading out in about twenty," Phoenix replies.

"To see her?"

You're stirring the pot.

"Ari, babe. You know this already. You know what I gotta do."

"But how do you know she's not trying to suck you in, Phoenix? How do you know this isn't a ploy to get you to come back to her?"

"That's not what this is. Besides, her intentions don't matter. It's my intentions, my heart that matters when it comes to us. I don't want Nora and there's nothing she can do that will change that. I want you."

"So just cancel that dinner tonight. Come over, spend the night with me."

"You know I can't do that. If I don't honor my word, she won't honor hers. Listen, Ari. Nora has been straight up with me, no games. As far as the divorce, she filed it with me, no static. At this point, she is just my friend. You don't need to feel threatened—"

"Threatened? Ha! Me? Threatened?" I roll my eyes. "I am not threatened by your ex. I just don't want to have to keep dealing with her."

"Ari, Listen," Phoenix's voice gets very matter-of-fact. "Nora is the mother of my children, we will always have to deal with each other. You know that don't you?"

A huff escapes me. "Yes, I know. It's just . . . irritating, this whole situation."

"I've been upfront with you about everything. I don't hide anything. But I can't keep wasting time having these conversations every day. We're both adults here, let's act like it!"

The sharp turn in his tone catches me by surprise. I cough trying to catch my breath. "Oh really. Adults? You want to go there? I can't believe this bullshit." I throw my hands up. "Alright. I'll leave you to it." Hanging up the phone, I put on my coat and jet out to Phoenix's house. I need to see what's going on with my own two eyes.

Getting there just in time, I spot his Range Rover still parked in front of his house. I drive into the condo parking lot across the street, making sure to avoid all boulders, rocks, statutes, and such. I turn the lights off and sit quietly as I watch his front door.

Sure enough, there he is, locking the front door. He gets into the all-black Ranger Rover and pulls off. I wait a second or two then proceed to follow him from a distance. The last time I had this nagging feeling, I found out quite a bit I had no idea about. I wonder what I'll learn this time.

Ari, if you need to do this, you need to leave this man. This is no way to maintain a relationship.

A tinge of guilt rises in my throat. I promptly swallow to rid myself of it.