Chapter 36 | New Year's Revelations

1 Month Ago

January 1st (5 Months Pregnant)

"Ten, nine, eight, seven, six, five," the crowd intensifies, "four, three, two, one! Happy New Years!"

Phoenix cradles my face as we kiss, celebrating the moment.

Pentatonix's version of "Auld Lang Syne" permeates the air, tugging at my heartstrings. The bittersweet realization of one year gone and the excitement of a new one to look forward to, leaves me at a crossroad. I know I'm stepping into the future, but with all that I've gone through this past year, it's hard to let go. Even though it was a monumental struggle, it's grown me up, fast. I'm on the cusp of motherhood, I've got my man by side and everyone I love the most is right here in this room.

You're blessed, girl.

Phoenix and I hug, swaying from side to side to the music, as he sings softly in my ear.

Mia takes a fork to her champagne flute. "A toast! Let's toast! We made it! Happy New Year!"

The crowd responds with jubilant, drunk cheers.

Riz pours and passes out flutes to all the guests.

Mia taps Riz on the shoulder. "Sparkling apple cider for Ari."

He looks back. "You sure? It's just a toast."

I nod. "She's right, Riz. Sparkling apple cider for me."

Riz passes the champagne flute intended for me to Phoenix. "Where is it?"

"As soon as we got here, I put it in the wine fridge in the kitchen." Standing behind me and Phoenix, Mama whispers, "Pickle! Your house is gorgeous. Phoenix sure knows how to treat a lady."

I look back to find a huge grin on her beautiful face.

"Son-in-law." Mama elbows Phoenix and they both laugh.

"Your mom! She's good people."

"Yeah, she is."

Tell your dumbass father that!

Nick brings Mama down for a dip as they dance, causing Penelope to exclaim. "Ow ow!" She looks to JC. "Do me!" She pleads like a little kid.

JC proceeds to dip Penelope as if they've stepped back to the fifties for a moment. Penelope comes back up, svelte as a diva. She high-fives Mama and they laugh.

"Mama's feeling herself, tonight." I whisper to Phoenix.

"She's just having a good time," he replies.

"Now that Nick has come into the picture, she's a whole new person." I can't help but smile at her happiness. "It's crazy, you never know how sad someone really was until you see how happy they can be. She's been sad for years and now it's like the biggest weight has been lifted off her shoulders. I never would've noticed that if it wasn't for Nick. I had gotten so used to her being that way, it just felt normal. But it's not. This is her normal. This is how I remember seeing her before my father left."

"I'm happy for your mom. It's better late than never."

"Say that again." I tell him as I wrap both arms over his shoulders. We kiss again.

"Go find a room." Troy nudges my shoulder.

I turn. "Troy! Aya? When did you get here?"

"Right before the countdown." Troy sips the last of his champagne.