Chapter 33 | Finally Face to Face

2 Months Ago

December 26th Day After Christmas (4 Months Pregnant)

Summer Walker, SZA, & Cardi B harmonize in the clean version of "No Love," over the cafe's sound system.

Glancing back and forth, I take them both in.

They're cute.

One with long straightened black hair with a single pink streak, peeking out from under her pink knitted marled winter hat. The other with a multicolored orange knitted marled hat and a messy bob underneath. Hands jammed into their trendy short puffer jackets, neither one says a word. They look as nervous as I feel.

Maybe a smile will ease the tension?

That's pretentious. Just try to be natural.

Natural? Normal? What does that mean, really when it comes to teenagers?

Girl! Chill!

Phoenix walks up to us, his eyes narrowing. "Ari, you good?" He subtly lifts his eyebrows as if to say 'It's OK.' Phoenix plucks a latte marked "Nala" from the cardboard cupholder he's carrying. "Here you go, sweetheart."

Nala reaches for the latte, her newly freed hands reveal adorable matching knitted mittens. "Decaf right, Dad? You know caffeine gives me a headache."

Phoenix smiles. "I got you. Both yours are decaf."

"Perfect." Nala flips one side of her long hair to her back before taking a sip.

Phoenix lifts a cup marked "Nadia" from the cupholder and passes it. "Mocha latte, almond milk for you. Decaf."

Nadia takes the cup and stops. "Dad! I said half-calf. I like a little pick me up in my coffee."

Nala steps in. "Nad, I'll fix it." She takes the latte and walks up to the counter.

"Alright, then." He smiles at me, apologetically. "These girls and their lattes."

I wave his apology away. "It's cool, I get it."

Phoenix snickers and removes my cup from the cupholder. "Anyway. Here you go."

Nadia stares at me bluntly.

The warmth of the cup soothes my cold fingers. I lift the opening to my mouth. "Nothing beats good old fashion hot chocolate with a dash of cinnamon, in the middle of winter."

"What? No caffeine for you?" Nadia asks, behind sharp eyes, a hint of feigned innocence in her tone.

"None for me." I halt myself in the middle of reaching for my belly. "Uh, so how's your winter break so far?"

Her eyes soften. "Break is cool. It's nice being home. Even with everything's that's going on. I'm guessing, since you're here, you know?" She leans in waiting for me to reveal my position.

I look to Phoenix.

"Uhm. Yeah." Phoenix wraps his arm around Nadia. "She knows, Nadia. It's why I brought you all together today."

"Hmm," she replies.

I sip my hot chocolate.

Nadia pulls away from Phoenix. "So, she's mom's replacement?"

Phoenix closes his eyes.

"It's OK, Phoenix." I turn to Nadia. "No one can replace your mom, Nadia. She's irreplaceable. Your dad and I are . . ." I glance at Phoenix.

"We're together." Phoenix waits for her reaction.

Nadia stands stoic, no expression. She searches for Nala, who shows up with a fresh new half-calf latte.