Chapter 16 | Jetting Off

I skip to the back of the cabin. The almost white, dove gray leather seats and couches paired with light birch wooden tables make Phoenix's private jet feel exceptionally airy and light. Add Jade stone Chinese character wall accents and Asian influences in the art and décor, and you've got a space that feels stylish and modern yet, serene.

"Welcome aboard, Phoenix and friends. Make yourself comfortable. Jessa will be your friendly flight attendant, today. We'll have Skye in the air shortly." The pilot announces overhead.

"Skye?" I ask.

"Oh, yes. That's the name of the jet." Jessa walks past, heading towards the rear of the cabin.

"Oh. Yeah. Right."

Leon sits closest to the cockpit. He's so quiet and stealthy, I barely notice that he's around. But he's always there, sitting in the cut, hiding in the shadows till he's needed. He pages through the latest edition of the Robb Report.

Mia and Riz sit cozy to my right, whispering sweet nothings. I approach them and they immediately stop talking and stare, as if I'm interrupting. I take that as a sign to push on. Before leaving, I mouth the words to Mia, "We can talk later."

She nods and turns back to Riz.

Penelope sits on the left with ear buds in. I stop for a moment and take the seat next to her.

"Hey, Piña, que paso?" I ask.

She pulls her earbuds out. "Nada mucho. Just listening to this book."

"Let me see that." I grab her iPhone. "What this? Like self-help?"

"Mas o menos. Something like that," she replies. "It's pretty good, actually. Beats watching ID non-stop, right!" Penelope flashes her gorgeous smile. "Girl trying to educate herself, ya know? Been on ID hard lately, I need a new source of info."

"So true!"

We both giggle at her observation.

For a moment, Penelope looks like her old, happy-go-lucky self. "There you are, my beautiful friend! Don't lose your spicy." I snap my fingers.

Penelope wags her finger at me. "Never dat!" She laughs then her smile drops. "Honestly though, chica, life is weird right now, you know?"

"I see you. What you're going through."

"Yeah, I'm like turning guys away, for the first time in like ever."

"Which I'm a little perplexed about. That's not you," I reply.

"Well, that's the thing, chica. When's the last time I spent time with myself? Like I don't even know what I like for breakfast. Basic things. You know. Am I a French toast girl? Or am I team pancakes? What if I prefer omelets? Or cereal? What about oatmeal? Do I like fruit in the morning?" Penelope looks at me with the most serious expression I've ever seen on her face.

"You're not playing, are you?" I ask.

"I basically just follow suit with whoever I'm dating. I like—what he likes." She shakes her head. "I'm done with that. I'm not just arm candy. I am a woman. A full woman. With thoughts and opinions and stuff!"

I lean back and I squint. "OK, I see you, Sis!"

Penelope smiles triumphantly.

"Enjoy the beauty of becoming!"

Penelope playfully shoos me away. "Now, go see about that boy toy of yours as I figure myself out."

"You mean, those thoughts and opinions?" I tease.