Chapter 60 | From Her Own Mouth

Sheila's Diary Entry:

Don't know how I feel about him, if the love is there anymore. To be honest, I don't know if the love was ever there to begin with. I mean, he wasn't my first choice. Hell, he wasn't my choice at all. He chose me. Why in the world did I say yes? I said yes, thinking I was on to something better than what I already had. He was new to school. Shit, I just wanted to take it for a test drive. Didn't mean to buy the whole car! Damn, I fucked up. Should've held on to what I had...

He keeps pressing me for kids. Definitely don't want kids with him. A kid with Nixon? Genes be all messed up. That kid would be fucked cause the daddy is no prize bull. He ain't got it all, all sickly and shit. That nigga got sickle cell anemia and diabetes, two traits I refuse to pass to my kids. Fuck that! Not my kids! Who wants a forever attachment to damaged nigga like that? Should've stuck with Phoenix. Should've kept him while I had him. He was into me too. Back then, he only had eyes for me. I had him wrapped around my finger. Why did I not see what I had?

But he'll come around again. A couple of moves here and there, he won't know what hit him. He'll be head over heels once again. But we got to clear the board. Nixon needs to be out of the picture. And fuck that bitch he with. He'll have a hard time remembering what's her face once I drop this WAP on him. See, I know what you like. And I've been pent up, repressed as fuck, looking for the right moment ever since that weekend in Miami. Looked so good, I could've fucked you right there in the living room. In front of Nixon! I don't give a damn! I'll give it to you right. I know that crazy ass bitch ain't getting you right. You need a real woman. A grown ass woman like me. Once you get a taste of me, you always come back for a top off. Sheila with the cherry on top. That's what they used to call me. And believe it, he's gonna want my cherry.

Fucking with that young ass, dumb bitch, Aria. She ain't shit. Ain't got shit, ain't gone be shit. That bitch is spacey, running around all suspicious, running out of time, out of hope. I'm gonna wind that bitch up and watch her like a demolition derby as she destroys everything, everything they built together. If it's the last thing I do. That bitch don't deserve him. I do.

                                                                                                 ***

My mouth drops. "I knew she was bat-shit crazy, but damn! She's so gone, babe! And jealous." I smack the book. "It's right here on the page."

Phoenix rubs the back of his head. "If I knew this, she would've never been able to come around me, around us. It all makes sense." Phoenix looks towards Nixon's room. "Man, I feel for him, I really do. He's gonna need family right now, people in his corner. The closest one to you? Does you like this? Does your friends like this? If I was another type of man..."

I nod in agreement. "I know."

A hotel employee shows up as we wait for Nixon to get out of the shower. gives me a large bottle of Gatorade. I take it to Nixon's bedroom, put it on the nightstand and close the door.

The shower stops. We give him some time then Phoenix knocks on the door. "Hey, fam. Can we talk?"

Nixon comes to the door, still worse for wear, but hydrated and freshly dressed. He comes out to the living room as it's being cleaned.

Phoenix holds up the diary. "This bitch don't deserve you, bruh. You won't believe what she's done, almost killed me."

Wearied and worn, Nixon looks down at the carpet and listens.

"Bruh, I never saw it coming..."

Giving them some privacy and badly needing air, I step out on the balcony. No need to relive the treachery that almost brought our house down. The beauty of the day doesn't align with the crazy I've encountered. The sun is shining. A cute kid with kinky hair, no older than 12 or 13 occupies the parking lot, teaching his adorable Boston terrier how to ride a skateboard.

I take a moment. Then step back inside.

Nixon looks shook. "She did all that? It's over. I'm done. I want out. Now."

Phoenix nods. "Bruh, she did all of that. Here's what I can do. I'll use the damage she's done as leverage. She won't get alimony, no spousal support, no half of communal property, none of that shit. She consents to a quick divorce or we turn over all the evidence to the police. She can't live or work here anymore or we turn the evidence over to the police. I can't have her anywhere around me. Who knows what she'll try to do next. And with JC leading the legal team, she'll be lucky to get 20 years. This is possession, sexual assault and attempted murder we're talking about."

Nixon listens and nods.

"I just need to know where she is. Leon went to your house. It was empty. Under the circumstances, I needed him to be thorough, so he got in, like he does and searched the place. No trace of her."

Nixon sips Gatorade. "We bought a condo, off the books. It's not in either of our names. It's actually in Brooke's name. And now I know why." Nixon laughs weakly. "I didn't understand at the time, why she wanted to do that. It all makes sense now. That was a few months ago."

Phoenix rubs his face. "She's been planning this for a while."

Nixon and I nod.

"She's sick," I add.

"I was sick to be with her ass," he replies.

"No, none of this was you, Nixon. This was all her." I look him in the eyes to confirm. He nods and looks down.

"How did I not see it, though?"

"She fooled us all, man. The only one she didn't fool was Aria. She saw it from the start." Phoenix looks at me and laughs. "Can't get nothing past her."

I smile back. "Glad you finally see me, Mr. Prescott."

He gives me a cocky half smile and calls Leon. "Yeah, hey so listen. There's a condo on Lake Drive. I'll text the address. Take reinforcements. Oh, and did you find the rehab? Sounds good, I know that place. Thanks, man." Phoenix turns to Nixon. "Hey, bruh, we need to dry you up, get you right. I found a rehab that will get you straight. You down?"

Nixon rubs his face, finishes his Gatorade. "How long?"

Phoenix rubs the back of his head, shrugs his shoulders. "All I know is that I got here in time, this time. Don't know what could happen next time. You need help man and it's on me. I got you. All expenses covered. And I'll visit every week. We brothers, I can't just let you go out like that."

Nixon contemplates for a while. Nods his head. "I know I need help."

I grab a duffle bag off the floor and flip it to get rid of the debris and crumbs lining the inside. "I'll help you pack your things."

A knock at the door, Phoenix goes to answer.

"Housekeeping." A sweet lady dragging a cart of linen and toiletries walks in and sets up. She goes back out to the hall. "Hey! Tell Cheryl to bring the crew. I need help in here!" She comes back with long rubber gloves and a vacuum cleaner, smiles at us.

Nixon goes to his room.

"This isn't, I didn't stay here. Neither did he." I point to Phoenix.

She laughs and gets to work. 

********************************************************

As the drama unfolds, what do you think will happen next?