Chapter 56 | When it Hits the Fan Part 2

The phone rings

The phone rings. Someone picks up.

"Tee-tee, it's me," Brooke says sounding like a wounded animal.

"Brooke! Did you do it?" Sheila asks, her tone excited.

"I don't know, Tee-tee. I'm scared."

"Calm down. I can hear the nerves in your voice. What's got you shook? This isn't like you," Sheila pries.

"I don't know, having second thoughts, I guess."

"Since when? You've been on top of everything, eager to take the next step. You got this one last thing and you will be set for life, you hear me? We both will," Sheila replies.

Brooke breathes deeply. "I know. One last step, right?"

"That's right, baby. You know you're Tee tee's favorite?"

Brooke rolls her eyes. "Tee tee, I'm your only niece."

Sheila laughs. "That's right and you're my favorite! That doesn't change a thing." Sheila laughs heartily.

Brooke is silent. She looks up at everyone in the room. Leon prompts her to continue.

"Uh, Tee tee?" Brooke inquires.

"Yeah, babygirl. What's up?"

"What should I do now?" Brooke cautiously asks.

"Brooke? Is somebody there with you?"

"With me? No." Brooke looks around at all of us. "Of course, not."

"You're acting weird. Why do you want me to go over something we've been over like a thousand times?" Sheila presses.

Brooke sighs. "I guess it'll calm my nerves. You know help me focus? You don't know what's it's like here, Tee tee. This corporate environment is cut-throat. I have competition from other executive assistants trying to take my job and his girl, Aria? I think she knows something. I'm telling you she's on to me."

"Okay, okay, okay. Let's not bow out now. You got this far. One more step and we're home free, babygirl!"

"Okay. I'm listening." Brooke replies.

Sheila hesitates as if she's listening, trying to decipher Brooke's background. "You sure no one's around?"

"I'm all by myself."

"Put it on Alyse," Sheila says.

"I put it on my beloved mom who's no longer with us." Brooke stares at Leon with loathing.

"Okay. Okay! This is what you do. Get Phoenix alone. Suggest you two go somewhere private. Say you want to talk to him about something important. Tell him you need his opinion. Say you only trust the advice from someone of his stature. Men eat that shit up. Stroke his ego and he'll be your pet to play with as you will."

"Uh-huh."

"Get him alone. Slip like one, no more than two pills in his drink."

"Hold up, Tee tee. You said one or two? What I give him more than that?" Fear overtakes Brooke's face.

"Babygirl! Now you listen to me. Do not give him more than two pills! You hear me?"

"Uhh..."

"Brooke! Did you drug him already? Brooke! Tell me what is going on! Right now!"

Brooke is silent for a long while.

"Where is Phoenix?" Panic begins taking over Sheila's voice. "Brooke! Is he alright?"

"Uhh." Brooke begins breathing hard. "I don't know what happened, Tee tee. I'm scared." Tears stream down Brooke's cheeks like water from a broken dam. "Tee tee..."

"Oh my God. Is he breathing, Brooke?"

Brooke cries in response.

"Please, God. Girl, all you had to do was drug the man and get a few lewd pictures and videos. That was our ticket, Brooke. A little blackmail for a lot of money. Now, I have to get out of town. You have to get out of town."

Brooke cries to Sheila as if she is a child. Her words are incoherent. Tears and snot alike melt away her remaining makeup, disrobing the sexy video vixen and revealing a vulnerable, unprotected little girl. A pang of deep sorrow plunges into my heart for her. She's been misled, likely by the only person left that she trusts. I turn away to keep my own flood of tears from rushing forth. Rubbing my belly is my only comfort.

I'll never do that to you, my little one. I'll never do that...

Sheila sniffles. "Okay. We can salvage this. Listen. You're there with him?"

Brooke is lost in her sorrow.

"Position him as if he's groping you. Get into a few sexual positions with him. Take some pictures. Take pics with you performing oral on him. If he's out, crop out his eyes. Make it seem as if he is actively pursuing you. Let the pictures tell the story we want to tell. You hear me? God damnit, Brooke! Say something!"

Brooke is inconsolable. Her hands cover her face as if she's hiding from her shame.

Sheila sounds rushed, as if she's moving quickly.

Packing a bag, maybe?

"It will be our word against his! Who's to say he didn't pop those pills himself? Executives and high-powered men are known to want to let off a little steam. They like to party with the best of them. Especially with a young girl like you. The pictures will save us, you hear? Get the god damn pictures and call me back. Leave as soon as you get them." Sheila hangs up.

Leon glares at Brooke, unsympathetic.  

*******************

Please TAP THAT STAR! Be honest, did you see this coming?