Chapter 2 | Stunning Jewel

It's Monday morning rush

It's Monday morning rush. I've got my peppermint mocha latte in hand and bagels and cream cheese for my cubemates. I stop at the revolving doors of the huge, all-glass skyscraper that is Prescott Realty. For some reason, Cardi B's "Up" comes to mind. At fifty-two stories and over seven hundred and forty feet, it's the tallest building in Milwaukee and a sight to marvel at. Even for a hot second. I follow the outline. Sunlight sparkles off the oversized glass windows all the way to the top, making the skyscraper seem like a stunning jewel in the middle of a bustling midwestern city. A real treasure, in and out. Especially the people. Everyone I've worked with has been awesome and welcoming. I proudly step into the grey and white marble lobby, ready to start my day.

Stefon, one of three on-duty guards, greets me with his customary compliments and flirtations. "Hello, Beautiful!" he says with a wide smile. "How are you doing, today?" he asks, setting aside his intimidating demeanor for the few moments we see each other every day. During these brief interactions, he morphs into a guy that's kind of funny and approachable. His smooth dark skin, full lips and dark eyes covered by thick, well-kempt eyebrows are enough to make any woman do a double take. But I've grown immune to his charm.

"You know me." I zing him with my pearly whites as I place my latte on the turnstile and pull my badge from my handbag.

"Well, whoever he is, he's one lucky dude." Stefon's expression is both one of appreciation and wanting.

"As long as he knows that I'm good." I swipe my badge and the turnstile opens. Before walking through, I turn to him. "You know, I've been wondering. If I didn't know any better, I'd say you were an army guy? You carry that vibe." I squint, waiting for an answer.

"Not quite. Marines," he says proudly as he seems to stand taller.

"Oh! So, I was right, or close to? So, if anything went down here," my finger circles the lobby, "you've got us covered?"

He nods and smiles. "As long as I'm here, you're safe."

"Huh! Good to know!" I smirk as I walk through the turnstile.

The feeling of someone staring is hard to miss. Stefon's gaze follows me. Once I'm well into the lobby, I turn back to catch a quick look. He resumes his stoic stance. Serious face. Hands folded in front. Dark grey suit with earpiece in place and identically dressed guards on either side of him.

This building is impressive. After working here for nearly four months, it still feels grand. The amazing architect, high ceilings and vibrant art make the spacious lobby a nice hangout or meeting place. Makes me feel important to have business here. I hop on the elevator and head to the thirty-second floor. Could've taken the private entrance and elevator meant for executives, but I value my independence. Taking the executive entrance involves arriving with Phoenix (because why else would I ride that elevator?) and enduring silent, questioning stares. No thank you!

I get off on the thirty-second floor and make a right. The sea of cubicles sprawled before me, reminds me of Phoenix's repeated attempts to give me a corner office of my own. To which I refuse, not wanting to be singled out from my co-workers.