Chapter 54 | Webs We Weave Part 3

Silently, I ask Leon for his keys

He continues talking and takes his keys off the windowsill, tossing them to me.

I nod and leave. When I get in Leon's truck, I have no idea what I feel like eating. Familiarity breeds comfort and right now I could use some comfort. The only thing that feels like comfort right now is bubble tea and avocado toast. My stomach growls at the thought. I push the start button on his truck and off we go.

Finding a small empty table, near a large window, I take a seat and look through the menu, already knowing what I want. A waitress approaches.

"Hello, I'm McKinsey, I'll be your server today. What can I get for you?" she asks.

Not wanting to show how dreadful I feel, I avoid eye contact. As a matter of fact, I refuse to look up, altogether, opting instead to keep my eyes down on the menu. "Oh, yeah. I'll have a large strawberry passionfruit tea with mango, kiwi and peach popping boba and avocado toast, extra egg." Face down, I hand her the menu.

"O.K." she quips as she walks away and places my order.

Taking a deep, calming breath, I stare out the window at the dreary winter wonderland. Old crunchy snow covers everything that used to be green. It looks as depressed as I feel.

The waitress returns.

That was quick.

But when she doesn't sit anything on the table, I stare at her shoes. She just stands there.

What does she want?

Make up smeared, my face is a mess. I know it. I should've cleaned up before I left the hospital but it was the last thing on my mind.

Pregnant brain.

Exasperated, I huff.

Fuck it!

I look up. "Can I help you?"

She squints. "We've met before haven't we?" She smiles sweetly as she points to me.

I wipe my eyes, too exhausted to play her game. "I-I wouldn't know. I—"

"—You're her!" she exclaims. "I knew it! We have met. I'm McKinsey." She stares at me wide-eyed like it's supposed to ring a bell.

Running my hand over my face, I hope she gets the hint. "Uh. Oh yeah, McKinsey." I shake my head. "You know what, no. I don't know you and I don't think we met. Do you need something?"

She backs up ever so slightly. "I'm sorry, I-I don't mean to be rude. But I'm sure we've met. At the club? The pool hall the other night? I remember you. I was wearing all white?" She snaps her fingers. "Um, the guys! The guys I was with, they were playing pool and you came over?"

The room gets small, stuffy.

The guys she was with???

That's that bitch!

My breath seems to run away from me. "Oh, that was you?" I ask, biting down.

She nods enthusiastically. "I admire you for coming to the club like that." She gestures pregnancy by pretending to rub a non-existent belly.

I roll my eyes.

This bitch.

She catches my expression. "No, I mean it. You were bad ass. Your guy, Phoenix was it? Couldn't stop talking about you. Literally all night. I feel like..." She looks at me endearingly. "I feel like I know you. I mean he couldn't say enough good things about you. He thought you were so cute, coming to check on him. He talked about how excited he was for the new baby and how you two have been through so much. He thinks you're so strong and smart and sassy. He kept laughing." She looks at the ceiling and laughs. "He kept telling me all these hilarious stories. He mentioned you and your car and a boulder?" She smile-frowns at me.

I coyly look away.

"Well, anyhow, I'm really happy for you two. I just think you should know you have great guy." She smiles. "Men like him are rare these days. He's definitely a keeper." 

And somehow her joy finds itself in my aura. It catches. Quickly. Before I fully realize it, I'm smiling from ear to ear. I blink, almost lost for words. "Well. I." I laugh. "That's awesome. It was a crazy night." I nod.

"Yeah, but so fun." She points behind her. "I think your order is up." She walks away.

Wow. Well, that puts all the bullshit to rest.

You wanted to know what he did that night. You got it on a silver platter and you didn't have to spy. What do you know?

I roll my eyes.

A lesson in humility and the art of trusting someone you love...

Yeah, dot, dot, dot...

I shake my head at my own thoughts.

"Here you go." She sits my avocado toast and strawberry passionfruit tea on the table. "Enjoy." She goes to check on another table.

I can never go back to crazytown.

Uh, ya think?

What the fuck? Where was my mind? I've been batshit crazy jumping from one false assumption to the next. How did I NOT drive him crazy. Pregnant in the club?

I wipe my face with my hand as if it will actually wipe away the shame.

When Phoenix wakes up, he's getting a new me.

"McKinsey, huh?" I say to no one in particular. I take in a deep breath and exhale, letting go of that whole situation. Taking a bite of the crispy avocado toast and the crispy edge of over-hard egg are just what the baby wanted. The creamy, salty goodness is only made better with a few dashes of hot sauce.

Oh my God!

A long sip of the strawberry passionfruit tea washes down the toast, leaving bursting sweet flavor to replace the salted heat. A perfect combination. This meal is to die for. Hands down, the best I've ever tasted. I laugh, relishing the thought of Phoenix defending my honor and speaking so highly of me.

That's my baby. My one true love. I'll never trip on him again after this. God just let us go back to being us after this. Please...

********************************************

Please Tap that STAR!!! Weigh in. Are you convinced Aria is finally getting her stuff together?