[3] If Only You Cared Just a Little (1/3)

𝘖𝘯 𝘪𝘵𝘴 𝘧𝘰𝘶𝘳 𝘳𝘰𝘵𝘵𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘭𝘦𝘨𝘴, 𝘪𝘵 𝘬𝘦𝘦𝘱𝘴 𝘳𝘶𝘯𝘯𝘪𝘯𝘨.

Their classmates stole glances at the back and front of the classroom, darting their eyes between Gu Xiao and Zhang Yongyin.

Then, they peered at Lan Yuning and Song Anwen,who now sat next to these two.

No one knew what was going on, and they had nodesire to know. They all had one common thought: the world was going to endsoon.

Song Anwen was Lan Yuning's closest friend.

Although Lan Yuning always had people crowded around him like he was some sort of magnet despite his cold appearance, the students in B High School knew that these two had been friends since childcare. Even their parents were close that they sometimes got picked up together by the same car or arrived together.

"Gu Xiao! Are you going to corrupt our student president with your tackiness?!" a classmate stammered in complete shock.

Gu Xiao clicked his tongue. "What am I? Some sort of plague? If I was, I'd infect you first."

Lessons started, and the heat rose off from the plank floors. The air condition in the classroom never functioned, making these scorching days so bothersome to be in class. Especially with all the body odour and sweat from those that were just out on the basketball court, there was no way he could focus with sweat dripping down his face like a waterfall.

Rubbing his eyes, Lan Yuning put on his rounded-frame glasses. Gu Xiao, who was entirely infatuated by his appearance, peered at him with interest. He propped his head on his palm, examining this new person who was now his deskmate.

"Is there something on my face?" Lan Yuning asked.

"Did you always wear glasses or is it because you are now sitting at the back that you can't see the board?"

As expected, Lan Yuning just briefly glanced at him with the same perplexing eyes and didn't respond, carrying on with taking notes on his physics booklet.

Seeing this, Gu Xiao frowned, resting his cheek on both his palms, and thought how tough Lan Yuning was to return to study mode after that nasty breakup with his girlfriend.

While Lan Yuning was writing with his violet-coloured pen, he thought his eyes were genuinely going to burn into ashes.

How much did one need to write in their booklets? Those sticky notes, those tags, that highlighting! It was genuinely admirable, but this was all too foreign for Gu Xiao's poor, naked eyes.

After looking at Zhang Yongyin's empty booklets for a whole two years, any textbook with notes in them was strange to him. Unless they were doodles.

Upon closer inspection, a small comic character was drawn in the corner. But the drawing looked quite familiar that something was fogging in his mind, gradually resurfacing.

"Ah! That character," Gu Xiao smiled and pointed to the corner of his book. "Isn't that a web artist's mascot?"

"Gu Xiao, you can speak after class," the teacher scolded.

He shut his mouth and didn't know how he would survive the remaining semester. Still, after calculating all the days and hours and minutes and seconds and milliseconds, it was time for him to display his most precarious achievement of all time.

Sleeping with his eyes opened.

"Don't sleep," Lan Yuning said, still facing his papers.

"How did you know?"

"If you want the teachers to stop nagging you, try not to sleep that much."

"No matter how much I don't sleep or lift my scores, they will never be happy. They will just keep expecting more and more from me."

"The teachers will not nag you, but they are forcing me to nag you."

"Then I will give you permission not to nag me."

"Who do you think will pester me?"

"So, it's the teacher's fault!"

The sound of a harsh substance cracking echoed, and a piece of chalk flung toward the talking boy's head.

Luckily, he quickly dodged this white bullet, but the powder scattered over his hair. He eyed the chalk that had rolled on the ground behind him and back at the fuming teacher with raging eyes.

"Gu Xiao, do you not understand what speaking after class means?"

_______________________________
A/N: Characters
Gu Xiao (MC)
Zhang Yongyin - Gu Xiao's friend
Lan Yuning - student president
Song Anwen - Lan Yuning's friend