[12] When the Light Chased Him (3/3)

𝘛𝘩𝘦 𝘧𝘪𝘴𝘩 𝘴𝘸𝘢𝘮 𝘧𝘳𝘰𝘮 𝘥𝘦𝘦𝘱 𝘸𝘪𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘯 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘴𝘦𝘢 𝘪𝘯 𝘷𝘢𝘪𝘯 𝘵𝘰 𝘵𝘰𝘶𝘤𝘩 𝘵𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘤𝘩𝘪𝘭𝘥'𝘴 𝘧𝘪𝘯𝘨𝘦𝘳𝘵𝘪𝘱𝘴. 𝘐𝘵 𝘤𝘰𝘯𝘵𝘪𝘯𝘶𝘦𝘥 𝘵𝘰 𝘱𝘶𝘴𝘩 𝘵𝘩𝘳𝘰𝘶𝘨𝘩 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘤𝘶𝘳𝘳𝘦𝘯𝘵𝘴, 𝘶𝘯𝘵𝘪𝘭 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘵𝘩𝘰𝘳𝘯𝘴 𝘱𝘪𝘦𝘳𝘤𝘦𝘥 𝘵𝘩𝘳𝘰𝘶𝘨𝘩 𝘪𝘵𝘴 𝘣𝘰𝘥𝘺, 𝘶𝘯𝘵𝘪𝘭 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘩𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘴𝘭𝘰𝘸𝘭𝘺 𝘥𝘪𝘴𝘢𝘱𝘱𝘦𝘢𝘳𝘦𝘥, 𝘶𝘯𝘵𝘪𝘭 𝘪𝘵 𝘥𝘪𝘥 𝘯𝘰𝘵 𝘦𝘷𝘦𝘯 𝘩𝘢𝘷𝘦 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘦𝘯𝘦𝘳𝘨𝘺 𝘵𝘰 𝘮𝘰𝘷𝘦 𝘪𝘵𝘴 𝘵𝘢𝘪𝘭.

"The person who you are sitting before could have been a murderer. I shouldn't say luckily, but the boy recovered from a brain injury. And with my situation at that time, it was hard to pay for the medical bills, but Gu Xiao and our other friends helped me."

"Everything is all fine now, and the boy is healthy too, but when I think about that day, I feel... dirty. I feel itchy, and I want to rip my skin off. It doesn't bother me that much now, though, but I still feel guilty, of course. I've stopped doing taekwondo seriously for a while and stirring up fights in general, but I still like it... a lot."

Gu Xiao always appeared to be the more hot-headed one, but in fact, it was the opposite. When Zhang Yongyin kicked Wang Xing's friend in the face, there was a second of shame since it reminded him of when he harmed his opponent during the Annual Youth Tournament.

But strangely, he didn't feel as guilty as he did before. His sanity wasn't engulfed by the desire to win, and he wasn't pressured by anyone. All he was doing was trying to protect his friend. That was the simplest reasoning.

"Putting all this stuff aside, I went a little psychotic after that tournament. You know what Gu Xiao did? He started beating me up," Zhang Yongyin laughed a little.

"But you can think of it as for a good cause because I really needed that beating. It differed from how my teacher would beat me because I felt refreshed after Gu Xiao finished punching me."

"My arm nearly broke, though. Every time I think about it, my arm gets weird tingles. Anyway, just ignore everything Wang Xing said about you. If he tries to open his mouth again and talk shit, we'll just beat him up again and again so he can't speak again," he joked.

In fact, Lan Yuning had already forgotten about that. After listening to Zhang Yongyin talk, everything Wang Xing said about him didn't linger in his head that much.

"Please don't," Lan Yuning said.

"Student President, I used to think you were a scary textbook machine," Zhang Yongyin laughed. "Well, that's that. Do you know what Gu Xiao's dream is? He doesn't talk about it much."

Suddenly, Zhang Yongyin's phone rang, and he looked at who was calling him before beaming, "Speak of the devil."

He picked up, and the voice from the other side reverberated loud and clear. "Where are you?"

"I'm at the canteen. Why?"

It was definitely a peculiar feeling, but the abscess in Lan Yuning's heart somewhat cleared when he heard Gu Xiao's usual voice.

"What?! Good to know you're still alive and eating without me," he said with hints of saltiness. "Is Student President with you?"

"Student President?" Zhang Yongyin repeated and looked at Lan Yuning, who tilted his head in confusion. "Yeah, why?"

"Can you pass the phone to him?"

Handing the phone over, Lan Yuning received the phone with hesitation.