[9] The Fool (1/2)

𝘛𝘪𝘦 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘴𝘵𝘳𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘢𝘳𝘰𝘶𝘯𝘥 𝘪𝘵𝘴 𝘵𝘢𝘪𝘭 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘸𝘢𝘵𝘤𝘩 𝘪𝘵 𝘥𝘪𝘦.

What happened last night still lingered in Gu Xiao's mind, but he didn't mention it for Lan Yuning's sake, in case he was uncomfortable with him speaking about it.

The soft chatters of the third-year seniors filled the classroom. It wasn't as blaring as usual since it was still early in the morning and Gu Xiao was doing something shocking. He was answering maths questions.

On Gu Xiao's desk, books and papers were piled in different directions. Horizontal, diagonal, landscape.

Compared to other people's tables, his desk was the only one that appeared to look like he was studying so hard that textbooks were lying everywhere, but in fact, he rarely even used them.

Lan Yuning quietly prepared his materials for first period and glanced over at the cluttered desk next to him.

Lan Yuning covered his mouth with his palm, continuing to write with the other, as a short fluster washed over him when he thought about the events of yesterday evening.

He wanted to trust Gu Xiao, but knowing that he and He Rong knew each other swamped his mind in anxiousness.

Without warning, Wang Xing (class representative) sat on the edge of Lan Yuning's table, tilting his body slightly to face him.

"Oi, we have a meeting today at second break," Wang Xing said to Lan Yuning.

Lan Yuning lifted his head fully, and it might've been the first time he had given his full attention after constantly shunting Wang Xing.

Slowly, his gaze shifted to Wang Xing's bottom as he sat on his papers, crinkling the corners up. Then, his eyes landed on Wang Xing's face, and Wang Xing saw the perpetuating annoyance that riddled Lan Yuning's expression, possibly even worse than usual. Yet, he ignored it.

Gu Xiao noticed the disturbance that passed over Lan Yuning's face at the sight of Wang Xing's gestures.

There was something so crude and vulgar about Wang Xing's actions and speech, even if it was simply just a greeting.

He continued to mind his own business and tried to finish the maths paper.

"You know, Lan Yuning, I'm actually curious about something."

No response.

Gu Xiao knew Wang Xing simply enjoyed talking about people instead of with people. He would complain about everything and everyone, even if he didn't know them.

He was the type to find anything to nit-pick about anyone as long as it could create a conversation that would ensure his relSong Anwence to others.

When he was about to speak again, Lan Yuning, who wasn't even looking at him anymore, interjected, "Can you get off my table?"

Wang Xing's brows knotted, and he stared at the other, who had kept his head facing his papers.

In silence, Wang Xing peered at him for a moment, exacting his suspicious vigilance against Lan Yuning.

Even though Lan Yuning had experienced the countless stares from Gu Xiao, who would look at him with pleading eyes that yearned for his attention only to smile largely the moment he turned around, Wang Xing's stares differed.

It disrupted him with pure irritation.

"I'm just trying to make a conversation," Wang Xing scoffed.

"You are disturbing me."

Wang Xing smirked, and there was something sly about him, along with his treacherous, cunning eyes. He leaned in, closing the proximity between them.

Without warning, he pulled Lan Yuning in closer and blew in his ear.

Gu Xiao's heart fell to the pits of his stomach.

Flinching, Lan Yuning whipped his head back as he covered his ear with eyes rounded in complete surprise. His brows raised, and his lips parted, unsure what Wang Xing was doing.

The disturbing tickle of his breath against his skin lingered, and his ear numbed from uneasiness.

Wang Xing laughed. "Why are you getting so flustered? This is why people get the wrong idea. I said I was curious about something. Are you actually gay? Look how red your face is—"

At once, Gu Xiao grabbed Wang Xing's collar.

He yanked him away from Lan Yuning's table, ultimately throwing him down onto the ground. Before he fell fully onto the ground, Wang Xing crashed into the students sitting before them and hit his head on the edge of the table.

"What the fuck is wrong with you?!" Wang Xing groaned.

Standing up, Gu Xiao glowered down at Wang Xing with intense disgust and madness gleaming through his dark eyes.

"What the fuck is wrong with you?" Gu Xiao asked.