[17] The Light Soaks Through (1/2)

The first semester ended, and the fifteen-day break came. Lan Yuning's ring tone went off, and he glanced at the unknown number.

This was the sixth time this unknown number was ringing.

At first, he thought it was just spam, so he ignored it. The second time it rang, he ended the call, and it kept on going and going that he started being concerned.

Leaning back in his chair, he finally picked up his vibrating device and hovered it above his ear.

"Hello?"

"Why didn't you pick up? I thought I got the wrong phone number for a second, but everyone I asked kept giving me the same one."

He peeked at the number again before placing his phone near his ear.

Anyone could recognize that loud and distinct voice anywhere that he was surprised to even hear this voice.

"Gu Xiao?"

"Yeah, yeah, sorry, I asked everyone for your number since I forgot. Are you studying?"

He shifted his seating position and let out a short, "Yes."

Gu Xiao laughed. "Why did I even ask?"

"...What do you want?"

"Stop studying tomorrow. I want to hang out with you."

Lan Yuning took his phone slightly away from his ear and paused for a moment.

Those words caused him to blink in confusion. Hang out with him? A person who everybody labelled as a cold person that always appeared so sour?

He remembered when he dragged him around to the arcade, karaoke bar, and to eat, but did Gu Xiao not find him boring?

He knew his personality wasn't as likeable like Song Anwen's, so why?

"Is Zhang Yongyin going?"

"What? No, it's just you. Why? Do you not want to?"

He listened to this boy whine for a good three minutes. He never understood how he always had so many things to say, but he still listened.

The boy from the other side finally stopped talking and took a long breath from speaking for too long. If he spoke anymore, it felt like he was going to faint from lacking oxygen.

"Ok."

"Really? Ok, I will text you later since I'm out of battery. Bye-bye!"

✎✎✎

"You're going out today?" Gu Heiyu asked, eating her bowl of ice cream.

"Yeah, I'm going to Water World."

"With the two coupons you won from the community physics competition two years ago? You told me you used it last year, and how has it not expired yet?"

"No. I used that one ages ago. I got this from uncle."

She was still amazed that he had won the physics competition, but since the prizes included a card cashed with money, how could he refuse to not win?

Gu Heiyu even remembered how hard he studied for it while neglecting his other school subjects, but she was also guilty since she coerced and forced him to do it for the money.

"Who are you going with?"

"Student President."

She coughed out blood and looked at him like a stranger. "I feel sorry for him. Well, while you have fun, I'm going to have to work."