[8] To Lie to Yourself (1/3)

𝘍𝘭𝘰𝘸𝘦𝘳𝘴 𝘧𝘢𝘭𝘭. 𝘈𝘯𝘥 𝘫𝘶𝘴𝘵 𝘭𝘪𝘬𝘦 𝘵𝘩𝘢𝘵, 𝘩𝘪𝘴 𝘥𝘢𝘺𝘴 𝘥𝘪𝘦𝘥 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘴𝘢𝘮𝘦.

While he was paying for the hour session, Lan Yuning watched the yells of young students and adults smashing the keyboards, complaining in their mics.

"We can go to the arcade floor first," Gu Xiao suggested and pushed him down a level.

There was an entire arcade below the internet café, with many unusual games he had never seen in person before. Vibrant colours flashed in the dim-lit space, and the noise was even louder than above.

"Hey, Gu Xiao!" a group of students called.

They were still dressed in their uniform. Some had their red jackets slung over their shoulders, while some tied them around their hips.

He turned around and waved. "You guys are here?"

"I thought you moved neighbourhoods since you never came anymore."

"No, I just don't have time. Don't you know? Unlike some people, I actually care about my studies," he said while blinking rapidly, attempting to put on a serious demeanour.

"That was a good joke! Well, fresh face? Where's the group?"

"It's not a joke. But yes, I'm going to play with him tonight, so I won't be with the group. Bye-bye," he said and quickly pushed Lan Yuning away. "Sorry for that. They can be a bit loud."

Lan Yuning, who was still sipping on the milk, mumbled to himself, "You're louder than all of them combined."

As always, those words never made it to his ears, so Gu Xiao pulled him to what seemed to be a shooting game and handed him the gun prop. 

"Why am I playing?"

"Because I said so. You should relax a little bit! How about I'll complete a practice exam paper each time you win one game?"

With the surprising suggestion, Lan Yuning's stone eyes shifted to something piqued by interest, and Gu Xiao quickly took his offer back.

"Actually, I'll only do one question from the multiple-choice. A whole paper is too much."

"No. You said one paper."

Gu Xiao's face paled, and he complained, "That's too much for one game! Do you know how long it takes just to complete half a paper? It takes me at least two weeks."

"Too late. Start the game."

"Well, do you see that rank? The top one is me. Let's see if you can even get over ninety thousand," he smirked.

It had been a long time since Lan Yuning actually played any type of game, but all he had to do was follow the rules, right?

✎✎✎

In the end, Gu Xiao won. Even though he won, he gaped at the leaderboard when he saw Lan Yuning's name placed third.

While they were playing, kids and other students gathered around them and watched their game from the side.

The previous students also joined the crowd with their mouths widened at the numbers. Although their ranks were now pushed below, the others couldn't help but admire this person who Gu Xiao brought in.

"How come he never came with you before?" the group from before asked.

"How should I know?"

Lan Yuning stepped off the platform and watched him and his friends talk. Noisy. It was indeed always loud every time he was around.