[38] Eighteen (1/4)

It had been three days into the new week. Gu Xiao hadn't gone to school. 

He was too busy packing and cleaning the house. They were going to move today. 

Someone had already set their eyes on their house, so the new tenants would prepare to move in right after they left. 

The moment this new family moved in, everything would disappear and only remain in their memories. 

In this small house where everything was shared between these blood-related strangers, was going to simply become a fleeting memory. But this small memory would be ingrained forever in the depth of their hearts, never leaving their soul.

Sitting in their empty house for the last time, both Gu Xiao and Gu Heiyu stayed in their rooms, sorting everything out. 

From old books to photos to their school uniform. 

It was disheartening that the school photos they took this year had not been printed yet, so Gu Xiao only had the ones from their first year. 

Looking at it, he searched for Lan Yuning. The moment he saw that same face, a chuckle escaped his lips.

"His face really doesn't change."

He looked at the packed boxes. There were only two boxes since he never had that many things, and most of them were textbooks. He grabbed one of the textbooks out. 

The doodles of Lan Yuning, random highlighting, and sticky notes which he wrote messages to Lan Yuning that used to always be ignored. 

These books had been with him for less than a year, yet the edges were all fluffed and the pages contained many creases. 

He didn't even need these textbooks anymore, but he still kept them.

While flicking through his math book, he noticed an unusual drawing on one of the pages. 

He knew it wasn't him, since his drawings didn't look this good. 

The art style definitely looked like his favourite web comic artist, but why was it there? 

It was a miniature doodle of someone's face. Upon closer inspection, it was only after a few seconds he realised Lan Yuning drew it. 

He knew because this violet colour pen was a colour he always used to write notes. 

It was this distinct colour that he only used in their class since the others always used red or blue.

His eyes widened, and he mumbled, "You were... that artist?"

He caressed the small drawing, and a sense of bitterness filled that emptiness in his heart. 

In a week and a half, they would have graduated, and his wish of wanting to graduate with him or even take a photo with him in their graduation robes would no longer come true. 

After graduation, their entrance exams would arrive, and he would no longer be sitting in the same hall as them. 

He even wished Lan Yuning would smack his knee randomly again. 

Anything. 

Anything would have been fine.

 As long as he could see him again. As long as he could see that flustered expression every time he teased him.

He brought the paper up to his lips and held it in his arms.

"I will work hard, and I hope that it will reach you."

Looking at the chipped table, the figurines he and Zhang Yongyin collected, the bed that he was so attached to during those times of weakness. 

Only then did he notice that the procedure to transfer high schools, or countries, was extremely troublesome and tiring.