[2] New Deskmate

𝘞𝘩𝘪𝘵𝘦 𝘯𝘰𝘪𝘴𝘦.

The harsh sounds of pen stabbing into paper resonated in the air, with the ringing voice of the teacher speaking in math gibberish that was simply nonsensical noises to his ears.

Three minutes left. Gu Xiao glued his eyes onto his phone, which was leaning against his stack of books. Watching Doraemon to pass time was truly effective. He nearly finished all the movies just by watching them during math, self-study periods, and evening study, maybe even in other classes. Basically, almost all periods.

Two minutes left. Zhang Yongyin, who sat next to Gu Xiao, instantly flung his head up after sleeping behind the stack of books. When there were only two minutes left to a lesson, the two idiots immediately became alerted with sirens ringing in their heads. Exchanging glances, they firmly nodded.

One minute left. The two stared at the clock with eyes burning with a boiling passion that even the students in front lowered their heads from this strange tingle they received.

The bell sounded.

Gu Xiao's eyes lit up, and he pushed Zhang Yongyin out of his chair. Without wasting a single breath, the two bolted out of their seats just to run to the cafeteria before it got too busy. Yet, before he escaped through the door, the math teacher called out to the brown-haired boy.

"Gu Xiao, where do you think you are going?" the teacher called.

He skidded in his steps and stabled himself by gripping onto the lockers. Suddenly, all the students from other classes rushed out to the cafeteria, sparing not even a second for him to blink. Even his dear friend, Zhang Yongyin, had escaped with the crowd.

Upon noticing the absence of Gu Xiao's face, Zhang Yongyin realised Gu Xiao had disappeared, but it was already too late to turn back since the others had dragged him away with the crowd. 

"Head to the office. Mr. Shen wants to speak to you."

"Again?"

✎✎✎

Mr. Shen handed him a piece of paper, sliding it across his desk with his large palms firmly bracing it down. Tapping the form three times, he rubbed his temples.

"Explain this to me."

The boy read the sheet, and without needing a second glance, he knew it was his career's form.

"What you wrote on this is not acceptable. Do you not take this seriously? Even if this is only for teacher insight, you should still think about this thoroughly."

"But Mr. Shen, what I wrote on is the truth," Gu Xiao responded, his brows slightly furrowed.

"For your goal in the future, you wrote, 'try to live up to a hundred years old' and for your university preferences, you left it blank."

"It's still too early for me to decide."

The three lines of wrinkles on Mr. Shen's forehead stressed themselves when he raised his thick, intense brows. He pressed his fingers harder across his temples, massaging them even more intensely.

"Look. The reason you are studying right now is for your university entrance exams [1]. Let me just tell you this, alright? You are still very young and wild. You have a free spirit, and I can clearly see that. But there are times when you must pause and think about where you stand in your life."

He continued, "You will not be young forever, and the time when you will need to make crucial decisions will come sooner than expected. Let me see. Take another form and reflect carefully, alright? I heard your sister is starting her first year here. It's good if you set a good example for her. If not, then I might need to contact your father."