More Than Business

By nicki0rih

Nicki's fashion empire she built with her best friend, Lydia, turns out to be an international success. Balan... More

More Than Business
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 57 (part2)
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Chapter 80
Chapter 81
Chapter 82
Chapter 83
Chapter 84
Chapter 85
Chapter 86
Chapter 87
Chapter 88
Chapter 89
Chapter 90
Chapter 91
Chapter 92
Chapter 93
Chapter 94
Chapter 95
Chapter 96
Chapter 97
Chapter 98
Chapter 99
Chapter 100
Chapter 101
Chapter 102
Chapter 103
Chapter 104
Chapter 105
Chapter 106
Chapter 107
Chapter 108
Chapter 109
Chapter 110
Chapter 111
Chapter 112
Chapter 113
Chapter 114
Chapter 115
Chapter 116
Chapter 117
Chapter 118
Chapter 119
Chapter 120
Chapter 121
Chapter 122
Chapter 123
Chapter 124
Chapter 125
Chapter 126
Chapter 127
Chapter 128
Chapter 129
Chapter 130
Chapter 131
Chapter 132
Chapter 133
Chapter 134
Chapter 135
Chapter 136
Chapter 137
Chapter 138
Chapter 140
Chapter 141
Chapter 142
Chapter 143
Chapter 144
Chapter 145
Chapter 146
Chapter 147
Chapter 148
Chapter 149
Chapter 150
Chapter 151
Chapter 152
Chapter 153
Chapter 154
Chapter 155
Chapter 156
Chapter 157
Chapter 158
Chapter 159
Chapter 160

Chapter 139

183 2 9
By nicki0rih

NICKI POV

I woke up around 8:30 the next morning. The triplets were awake so I changed their diapers and brought them downstairs. I turned on Sesame Street in the livingroom and went to the kitchen to prepare bottles for them. While the bottles heated up, I poured food and water for the puppies who were still asleep laying atop each other. I washed my hands before carrying the bottles to the living room. While they drank their bottles and watched tv, I started making breakfast. By the time I got the ingredients out, Lydia called.

"Hey." I put the phone to my ear.

"Good morning. Can I bring Anita over for the other gift?"

"Yeah sure, what time?"

"Also, OJ wants to stay with you for a bit. And Liyah thinks today would be a good day for another one of those co-parenting meetings." She explained, "everyone is just about waking up and getting ready for the day, so I mean by the time we do breakfast and stuff.. sometime this afternoon?"

"You guys can come do breakfast here. I haven't started making it yet. Aubrey and his mom are still asleep, but the triplets are drinking their bottles. I'll make some tea and hang out with them until you get here." I suggested.

As I spoke, I came across a note on the refrigerator door from Aubrey's mom:
Its clear that this set up doesn't work. I wasn't going to leave knowing the babies needed someone to care for them, but you two made it clear that you have it handled without me. I caught an early flight back home, you know where to find me, and how to contact me. ~ Sandy

"Nic?" Lydia called out on the other line.

"I- Aubrey's mom went back to Canada." I told her.

"What? Why?"

"We got into a fight last night. You know I feel like this weekend has not been the best. As far as relationships and arguments." I stated, "I'm gonna have to start that nanny hunt a lot sooner than I thought."

"You know I'm here if you need me." She offered, "I can help with the search or whatever. And you know that I can and will pick up the slack at work if you need to stay home."

"Thanks, I know." I walked into the living room, "I can't believe that a few months from now, I'll officially be a mother of 6."

"It looks good on you." She told me. "And even though the pregnancy part sucks, all of your kids are beautiful, smart and happy. So that has to feel good as hell babe."

"You're right." I laid on the couch causing the triplets to each find a spot to sit on me or cuddle into me. "I'll start cooking when you guys get here."

"Love you babe, see you in a bit."

"Love you too."

I must've fallen asleep watching Sesame Street because I woke up to Aubrey showing me a picture on his phone of the triplets deeply invested in the show while I laid there asleep.

"Oh good, I'll have something to post." I giggled as he kissed me. "Lydia, Anita and the kids are coming over for breakfast."

"Okay."

"Also, your mom left.. so I guess I'll just take the triplets to work with me this week, and hopefully we'll have a nanny by then."

"You can't do all that lifting in the mornings."

"Right." I groaned, "but thats the only last minute plan that works.."

"Can you stay home?"

"No Aubrey" I frowned my face at him, "I have important meetings this week. Look- wait, I have an idea."

"What is it?"

"Margo's gonna do the lifting for me. Thats kind of her job." I stated, "I'll text her later."

"You'll have the kids all day, so we trade off when I get home from work. I'll do the rest of the work and stuff." He offered.

I smiled at him, "look at us being parents."

"Yeah." He pecked my lips.

I sat up on the couch, "I know this is gonna be hard as hell, but I'm really excited."

"Really?"

I nodded, "I wanted to us to give ourselves a chance.. and now we have one. Besides Margo doing the heavy lifting, but I managed last time before i knew I was pregnant.. so I know I can do it."

"I'm glad youre happy." He kissed me again. "I was worried with her leaving you were gonna- i don't know."

"Overreact? Freak out? Cry?" I filled in the blank.

"You know what I mean.. I just don't want to say the wrong thing-"

"Im in a good mood, I promise you I will not be freaking out or having an episode any time soon. Unless something actually drastic happens." I assured him.

He scratched his head and cocked an eyebrow at me, "I'm not complaining babe, but did you take a pill or something? Why are you so-"

"Calm?" I giggled. "I'm actually not really sure.. I just feel really content, and grounded right now."

"Thats a good thing." He smiled.

"No, its awesome" I winked, making sure he caught the code word.

We ended up turning to mickey mouse club house for the kids, and watched it together as a family until Lydia and everyone arrived.

There was a knock at the door, we could see them through the window by the couch so I got up and answered the door.

"Are we knocking now?" I groaned as I opened the door.

"Maybe you guys wanted your privacy, we're just being polite." Lydia shrugged.

I rolled my eyes, "come in come in."

I greeted each of them with a hug as they entered.

"Can we do the gift first and then brunch?" Lydia asked

"That makes sense." I agreed. With Aubrey and the triplets trailing behind the crowd, Lydia and I led them to the kitchen where the puppies were sleeping.

"Oh my goodness." Anita gasped.

"Forreal?" Aaliyah's eyes gaped.

"Doggys!" Zoe and OJ screamed causing them to wake up.

"So the black and white is Nic's. But the all white is yours babe." Lydia explained.

When we started cooking, Aubrey took the kids and puppies outside to play in the yard. The rest of us made us of both kitchens to cook quickly, often shuffling between them.

I spent a bit of time alone with Aaliyah.

"Wheres grandma?"

I shrugged, "She and I weren't getting along.. so she left."

"Did you guys fight?"

"Sort of. But its fine, I've moved past it."

"Oh my god." She looked at me and stopped in her tracks.

"Its not a big deal-"

"No, sorry.. I just realized your baby bump is like SHOWING now. It wasnt like that yesterday." She pointed out.

"I wouldn't know. I think Im programmed to assume Im huge the second I find out I'm pregnant." I touched my belly.

"Wait so what are you going to do? With the triplets and stuff, and when Logan gets here.."

"We'll start looking for a nanny. Until then, I'll take them to work with me. Thats what we did with OJ before he started Daycare."

"A nanny? Woah."

"Why woah?" I scrunched my nose.

"You're like famous, won't it be hard to find someone that'll be chill?"

"That's true. We'll figure it out." I shrugged.

She looked at my stomach again before looking up at me, "Logan will be your last right?"

"What makes you say that?"

"You hate being pregnant.. and its not fair-"

"Nothing is set in stone." I touched her cheek.

"Doesn't it mess up your body? Like last time you had the accident so you lost weight nut-"

"You're worried about my body?" I giggled, "When I had OJ, Lydia and I dieted and worked out to get me back in shape. It sucked, but it worked."

"She did that with you, just so you didn't have to do it alone?" She asked.

"Yeah." I nodded.

"Did she always do stuff like that?"

"To the best of her ability. Yes. Like while I was pregnant the first time, she wouldn't drink alcohol or caffeine either. We were in it together." I explained.

"Thats-wow." She got the next batch of pancakes ready as the bacon I was cooking had finished.

"What do you mean?"

"Its just, you guys were like ultimate goals. You had that really cool collection, you never fought, you do so much for each other... and like, you both had to have known that no one is ever gonna be that perfect. But you guys gave it up anyways." She pointed out, "I mean, I'm not complaining, because if you didn't we'd be back in Canada.. and I'd still be an only child."

"It was great, and easy- everything always just worked out, no stress no arguing no worrying. Aside from all that, we loved eachother, and cared for each other more than anything in the world. But we also knew, that that wouldn't change just because we were no longer dating. The love is still there, the caring, everything. The only difference now, besides the sex of course, is that we both now have additional sources of love and all of that. Its not just the two of us anymore. And even though its harder, and we both are apparently not the best at our new relationships, we're still here to support each other every step of the way." I explained, "it only sucks really when she and your dad aren't getting along."

"You're always in the middle of it." She nodded.

"Yeah, and at first my first instinct was to take her side, because I'm used to protecting her at all costs. But thats not fair for Aubrey. And then I tried the in the middle thing and that was messy. So I always just try to keep it as a truce, and I usually give Lydia some sort of talk and get her to be nice or whatever.. which sucks too, because I know that its not easy or enjoyable for her to have to be the cautious one or the bigger person all the time.. but I know that she'll do it just because I asked her.. while your father is not so easy to get to go along with it."

"He hit her or something right? When-"

"He did not hit her. He was rough with her a few times. And I wanted to hate him for that, but she wouldn't let me. And its like you said, if any of this was different, I wouldnt have all of you- my babies. And aside from you guys, I really do truly love your father- and even though I have moments of doubt or red flags, or just the fact that its hard this time around.. I feel like he's worth fighting for. I'm not giving you or him or any of this up anytime soon."

"Would it help if I were here? To help with the triplets and the puppy and with you- I know you got mad when I offered last time."

"You have school babe, I want that to be your priority. You should be having fun and enjoying life, not worrying about me and the babies."

"But she wants to help." Lydia's voice startled me. She closed the refrigerator and looked at us, "sorry, the whole system of how food is set up and distributed between kitchens and the pantry and stuff has apparently changed." She revealed a pack of American cheese and fresh garlic.

"How long have you been in here?" Liyah asked.

"Not long, but seriously Nic.. let her help out, she wants to."

"I just- I know Im gonna start being irritable and mean and annoying.. and I don't want her to be in that line of fire."

"Liyah are you old enough to understand that as Nic gets more pregnant, she'll start being rude and hurtful, and she'll be annoying and hard to keep happy?" Lydia rolled her eyes. "And that through all that, she does still love you and appreciate you, even if it doesn't seem like it.."

"Yes." Liyah nodded.

"Just dont take anything personal, and feel free to complain as much as you want about her to the rest of us, it helps."

"Hey!" I hit her with a dish towel.

"See mom, I can help. Pleaseee." Liyah tugged on my arm.

"Fine, but the second it feels like a lot or anything I want you to step back. Okay?" I groaned, "Do nottttt let anything I say or do get to you... and-"

"I promise!"

Once it was time to eat, we all sat at the tables. Zoe and OJ sat at the kids table, I had Ali beside me to help her eat, Aubrey did the same with Ollie and Liyah insisted on helping with Liam.

"Oh Nic, I actually wanted to talk to you after we eat." Lydia mentioned mid chew, as she covered her mouth with her hand.

"I didn't talk to him about it so-"

"Its not that. Theres no rush on that," she made a slight gesture towards Anita.

"Oh. Of course."

"What is it about then?" Anita cleared her throat.

"Well I'm not going to just say it in front of everyone." Lydia reasoned.

"But its about me?"

"Yes."

"Mhmm.." Anita turned to us, "Give us a sec." she smiled and stood, causing Lydia to follow out of the room. They must've went upstairs because not only were they gone for quite some time, we also didn't overhear the slightest sound.

"Whats that about?" Aubrey asked.

"Although we made up, Anita is still not my biggest fan nowadays." I bit into a pancake.

"She did mention you in their argument last night." Liyah mentioned.

"They argued? I thought they were happy? She got a ring and all. Who the hell gets upset after-"

"Nic." Aubrey interrupted.

"Then that means, Lydia wants to talk to me about the argument, and I guess Anita doesn't want that to happen..." I pieced together.

"Am I also allowed to say what can't be shared with her?" Aubrey questioned.

I felt my heart starting to race as I nodded, "Of course."

"Mom are you okay?"

I nodded as my leg started to shake as a way to keep myself calm, "They were arguing about me? W-was it bad?" I asked her, "I don't know what I did- is she still mad at me?"

"Nic." Aubrey touched my leg to try to calm the shaking.

"I cannot process this right now.. and I don't want them to come back to me freaking out.." I started hyperventilating.

I didnt know when Aubrey stood up or when he ended up behind me, but I was suddenly in his arms and he was kissing my cheek and whispering "I'm right here" in my ear. I turned to face him as he let go and held my hands. He coaxed me into staring into his eyes, "do you see me?" I nodded but he forced me say it out loud anyways. "Do you hear my voice?" The same deal. "Can you feel my hands?" He squeezed my hands a little tighter until I responded. As I calmed down, Liyah handed me some tissues. They helped me wipe my face.

"You still look teary, but you're good." Aubrey examined my face.

"Oh I know the perfect trick for that!" Aaliyah offered. She stood over me and made me tilt my head back.

"What are you gonna do?" I flinched.

"Trust me, I got it." She winked.

"I somehow do not feel reassured."

"Whats wrong with her?" Anita's voice startled me.

"Oo I see it!" Liyah said excitedly and blew into my eye.

I tried to get up but I realized Aubrey was holding me, "I no longer like this plan."

"Here Nic-" Lydia offered.

"Nope, got it." Liyah's finger tapped the inside of my eye. "Now rinse."

Aubrey let go and I immediately went to the sink.

"My eye hurts like hell." I started rinsing my eye, as Aaliyah's plan became clear. "Paper towel." She came over with a paper towel and I dabbed my eye, "Thanks babe, but do not ever touch my eye again."

After breakfast, Anita pulled me aside while Lydia helped clean up.

"Hey, I wanted to apologize for making a scene earlier." She told me.

"Don't worry. You know that I want the best for your relationship, and if that means Lydia can't come to me and give me the full run down on every step of the journey, thats okay. We are learning to be less dependent on each other anyways." I assured her

"Yeah I noticed the connection is off. I can read you both like a book now."

"I know that our relationship may have been a little excessive.. but I want to trust that you as a psychologist do understand that she should be able to talk to her best friend about her relationship among other things."

"Of course. Despite recent events, I have no intentions on pulling you two apart. I love your friendship, I've never seen anything like it... its so unconditional. I didn't pull Lydia aside to tell her not to tell you about what happened last night."

"Good to know."

"Can I tell you something?"

"Of course."

"Yesterday, you didn't believe that I could be so good at my job... and so bad at caring for Zoe."

"That was insensitive of me-"

"Parenting, actually raising kids... is a lot harder and a lot scarier than being able to tell when a situation is whats best for them, or watching them for a few days, or figuring out whats wrong." She admitted, "You three are undoubtedly amazing parents, and shows through OJ and Aaliyah. I'm honored, and extremely lucky to have you guys around as I try to figure it out too."

"Thanks-"

"Friends?"

I hugged her, "yes."

"We'll do lunch sometime this week, I know tomorrow is busy for you guys."

"Well I'll have the triplets this week, so you'd have to come to the office like last time. Unless Lydia or Margo babysits."

"You should've invited Margo today." Her eyes lit up, "I also would've loved to have seen her there last night too."

"We've been a little preoccupied." I shrugged.

"There's always next time."

After things were cleaned up, Liyah took the kids to the basement to watch a movie while the rest of us sat around the table to talk as a group.

"I feel like this is becoming a regular thing." I turned my phone face down.

"Well you guys are coparenting, so its normal and even beneficial to have occasional check-ins about the situation and relationships involved." Anita pulled her hair into a ponytail.

"This one is about you and Nic though." Lydia pointed out.

"As I said, relationships involved. Plus this was based off of Aaliyah's concern.. so thus as coparents of Aaliyah, its everyone's concern." Anita answered.

"So lets start with where everyone is regarding the situation. Then we'll do questions. And then we'll figure out what works for everyone." I suggested.

"Should I be keeping meeting notes?" Lydia asked sarcastically.

"Who starts?" Aubrey asked.

"I can." Anita offered, "I know that Nic and I both have feelings for each other. But its just lust. And I know that we both are madly in love with our perspective significant others and would never do anything to jeopardize those relationships."

"I also know that Nic and Anita have feelings for each other. I didn't know it was just lust for you Anita, whereas Nic I did know. And connection or not, I also know that with Nic's pregnancy on top of the preexisting hormonal feelings she was having before... she is extremely vulnerable. Which means, if someone were to make a move on her, it would be particularly difficult for her to stay strong. And I know that neither of you are going to ever act on the lust. So theres nothing to worry about." Lydia cleared her throat when she finished.

"Your words suggest otherwise." Anita observed.

"Lets just do the statements. And questions and comments will come later." I interrupted.

"I know yall like each other. And I know Nic isn't going to do anything about it. And I trust you wont either." Aubrey took his turn.

"I would like to say, that yes my hormones are super sensitive and active nowadays. My brain and my heart are still in tact. I would never do anything to hurt any of you that way. And thats exactly what would happen if anything were to happen... it would ruin all of us. Plus, I know Anita would also never try to come on to me.. so we're safe from the mere temptation."

"Questions now?" Anita sat up then turned to Lydia, "why did you insinuate a possibility, and then say there wasn't one?"

"When?" Lydia cocked her head to the side.

"I know I'm not crazy." Anita looked at me and Aubrey.

I shook my head, "she didn't really say much different than what I said about myself."

"I heard the insinuation." Aubrey spoke up.

"Why would I insinuate anything?"

"You specifically mentioned that if someone came onto her... as if I might."

"But I know you wouldn't."

"I think she meant it generally speaking." I defended.

Lydia grabbed both of Anita's hands, "If I didn't trust you fully, I wouldn't have given you that ring. Okay? I misspoke, I'm sorry."

"Dangerous." Anita squinted at her and nodded, "thats what you are."

"So what boundaries do we feel like need to be set?" I asked.

"What would you not want me to do with another girl?" Aubrey asked me.

"Well Nic's standards are low." Lydia warned.

"I mean, just dont have sex with her or kiss her." I shrugged.

"Thats it?"

"Well those are my boundaries for you.. thats why I'm asking you-"

"Nic, the same rules apply for Anita as they do for me and Vanessa, Margo, Rachel whoever else. Okay?" Lydia fixed her ponytail.

"Thats what I figured.. so I wasn't confused?" I looked around. "Aaliyah is who didn't get it."

"I'll talk to her." Aubrey suggested.

"If we're clear here, I think we should head out." Lydia stretched as she stood. "I have to make changes for Honey's wedding. Again."

"Hey, I actually wanted to spend some time with OJ.. can he stay here tonight, and you can take him to school from here in the morning?"

"Yeah, of course." She nodded.

After they left with Zoe, Aubrey and I had some time to ourselves for a bit.

"Before I forget, thank you for helping me through that episode earlier." I laid in his lap. "Where'd you learn that?"

"Honestly? Anita." He said. "I figured she was an actual expert."

I smiled, "I was going to tell you how awesome it was that you did it and made it seem so easy. But its really awesome to know that you think about me, and went out of your way to find new ways to help me."

"I overheard you talking to Liyah about me." He said, "about me being worth fighting for."

"Well, you are." I tapped his nose. "She wanted to know if I regretted leaving Lydia, since that relationship was so perfect and easy or 'goals' as she put it."

"And you don't?"

"Without you and I dating, I wouldn't have any of my friends I now have, the triplets wouldnt exist, I wouldn't have grown as much as I have, and I wouldnt have you and Liyah."

"What do I have to do with your friends?"

"Vanessa became close because I confided in her about you and Lydia. Margo I met through you. Rachel wouldn't be with us if I hadnt needed extra help due to our growing family. Anita we met through the case but most of Omarion's claims involved you indirectly or directly. Same with Janine."

"The case was my fault?"

"No. I mean, I had more episodes with you.. which made me seem crazy. The accident wouldn't have been a factor. You and Lydia fighting, you and I arguing. And the whole confusing family thing." I explained, "other than that, Lydia and I were just alleged alcoholics. I also would've been more willing to take their offer if I didn't risk losing you over it."

"Wow."

"But now we have Anita and Janine and Zoe. So theres the silver lining." I added, "and you saved me from making the HUGE mistake of having their baby. Which also would have meant having sex with him again- and I literally don't even want to think about that."

"Do you think the case would've been better if we weren't together? I'm confused." He shook his head.

"No babe." I denied, "because I would've had their freaking baby, and that would've been the dumbest thing I've ever done in my life. And everything from that point on would be completely shitty. But since I did have you, you saved me from that mistake." I sat up, "Thats kind of what the big fight was with Anita and Lydia the other night."

"About me?"

"No, they fought about Lydia and me. Anita had made the observation that it seemed like the way Lydia and I are there for each other was different in that, I make an effort to keep Lydia from being hurt, while she's there to pick up the pieces for me afterwards. Which isn't fully true but still relevant to the connection I wanted to make"

"Which was?"

"You and I fight a lot, and it sucks in the moment. But the outcome always works out for the best. I never regret my decisions because you don't let me fuck up. Look at the triplets, I put up such a fight about having kids and not being ready... but I wouldn't trade them for the world. You wouldn't let me put Logan up for adoption, and I know I would've regretted it so much." I explained, "so yes, Omarion used our fights against us.. but our fights always turn out for the best and that means a lot to me."

"Oh?"

"I feel like Im just digging a deeper grave for myself. Please help me." I groaned.

"Just answer, yes or no. Do you think the case was my fault?"

"Absolutely not."

"Would it have been easier without me."

"No." I scoffed.

"Thats all that matters." He touched my chin. "Are you gonna tell me what else you and Liyah talked about?"

I shook my head, "besides her wanting to be here during the pregnancy to help out, and also once Logan gets here. Nope."

"You're letting her?"

"Promise me you won't let me be mean to her. When I get further along and stuff," I groaned again. "And I am really going to do be better towards you as well."

"Nic, you were fine last time. And you-"

"I wasn't. And honestly feels like I can't help it, once I'm further along in the pregnancy, but you do so much and care so much about me all the time not just when I'm pregnant, and I hate being rude to you. I've been working on my emotions and everything anyways, I think that I can also work on that part... especially if this is something you're gonna want to do again."

"Wait, so if the nanny thing works out and stuff.. you'd be open to having more kids?"

I nodded, "if it makes sense for our family. I don't want to get so crowded that we don't get to spoil and care for all of the kids and each other and the dog and our friends and your family.."

"Even though you hate being pregnant and giving birth. Which you've made clear nonstop since we started dating."

"Pregnancy sucks. Its painful, scary, stressful, uncomfortable, annoying, among other things. But you guys are always super supportive and lovely and I know I'm not alone. If I can make it through having triplets, and Logan.. then you know, I've handled the worst of it, we will have handled the worst of it. So yeah, I would do it again for you, for our family. But I will promise you, that I will hate it, I will have an anxiety attack, and I will complain every time. But I will be excited to see our baby's face and to watch them grow up and to love and raise them with you.. every single time." I assured him. He immediately kissed me, forcing me on my back as he lay atop me. I kissed him back for a second before pushing him off gently, "I'm already pregnant now, don't get too excited."

"Oh.."

"I'm kidding obviously." I sat up, "I am extremely turned on right now. But I want to wait until the kids are asleep tonight."

"Right." He agreed.

"And I want to spend some time with OJ." I added.

LYDIA POV

The ride home was mostly silent besides Zoe playing with the puppy in the backseat. Anita toyed with the ring around her neck for the entire ride, biting her lip every so often. She seemed deep in thought so I didn't want to bother her. When we got to the house, Anita suggested for Zoe to give the puppy a tour of the house before she pulled me into the kitchen to talk.

"Everything okay?" I asked her, "You've been pretty quiet.."

"Yeah, sorry... I was just thinking, and reflecting." She poured us both a glass of water.

"Alright.." I took a glass from her.

"I want to apologize to you. I've been terrible to you all weekend, and you've constantly tolerated it and have been amazing to me despite it all." She began.

"We're already good on all of that."

"Last night, and today.. we are not good on that yet. Which is why as a whole-"

"Last night you were confused about the ring. And I sucked at giving a cohesive explanation, but eventually it worked out."

"I made you- get me off, just so that I could argue with you." She pointed out.

"You didn't make me do anything. You asked me to, and if I remember correctly, you even said please. And that was not an argument. An argument would entail opposing sides." I sipped my water.

"Why did you do it though?"

"Did I mention the part where you asked?" I squinted at her, "and thats besides the point. You're my girlfriend, and I care about you physically and emotionally, so I'm gonna be there for you and continue to do for you even if you're mad at me."

"Just like that? You felt nothing of that? You think its okay for me to treat you like that?"

"Okay honestly? In the moment.. I felt nothing of it. Like I said, you asked me for a favor, I did it. Simple. But when I woke up this morning, I did start to over analyze and stop and wonder and think and all of that. And I wanted to talk to Nic about it because I wasn't sure if I was overreacting or if I was supposed to feel weird. She helps me to interpret my emotions so I'm not giving you as hard of a time as I did last night about the ring." I admitted.

"I should not have used you like that. So I apologize for taking advantage of you. I love you and respect you way too much for me to put you in that situation. And I'm sorry for being so unappreciative about the ring." She touched my hand, "And I'm sorry for causing a scene today. I don't know whats up with me this weekend, I promise I'm not usually like this-"

"I know you're not. You've been amazing and flawless and sweet all along. All this weekend showed was that you're amazing, HUMAN and sweet. And you're still perfect as far as I'm concerned." I pecked her lips, "You were so forgiving after I came back from Cali.. despite the circumstances. You cared enough about Nic and about me and her relationship that you called me out for not pulling my weight. You cared enough about me, and this relationship to go along with that whole scheme the other night. You are amazing okay?"

"In the midst of being mad at me, you flew across the country to buy me an expensive ring to promise to be with me for the long run. And you planned to surprise me at my party even after you knew I also got into a fight with Nic. And you got me a freaking puppy."

"Did I mention the part where I love you?" I cocked my head to the side.

"Yes, you did bring that up a few times." She giggled. "I love you too."

"Are you going to name the puppy, and is he staying here or at your place? Because we should probably take a trip to the pet store eventually." I changed the subject.

"I did not think about any of that yet.."

"I actually have another gift for you, that I completely forgot about."

"Lydia, seriously.. thats enough gifts okay." She grabbed my wrists.

"Well this one is really small, I promise."

"I- fine." She let go of my hands.

"Its like super small." I reiterated as I fished my makeup bag out of my purse. Inside I found a key connected to a small keychain that said "Cole". I covered it with my hands and held them out before her.

"What is it?" She asked. I opened my hands to show her the key. Her face turned bright red, "Is that? Wait does that say Cole?" Her excitement was curbed by the joke aspect of the gift.

"This is a key to my house. I am not asking you to move in necessarily, since last time that conversation surfaced you didn't seem quite ready for that. But I thought that since you do spend a lot of time here even when I'm not around, it would be less of a hassle for you to not have to knock on the door or find the spare key." I explained, "and when I saw they had the name Cole, I couldn't resist."

"You're really fucking cute you know that."

"Wait, theres one more thing. Might be less cute, I don't know." I reached back in my bag and pulled out a refrigerator magnet that said 'California'.

"A souvenir?" She giggled.

"I think I hit all the categories of gifts now." I joked, "The thoughtful gift, the practical gift, the expensive gift and the token gift."

"I love all of them."

"And you cannot give me any crap about doing too much, because you literally flew me out on a private jet to a private beach in Mexico. And we weren't even that serious back then." I playfully shoved her.

"Touché. But I have to ask.. if you're giving me a key now, what happens when you do ask me to move in?"

"I wont. You have a key, you are welcome to move in whenever you want. It doesn't have to be anytime soon. It can be years from now, minutes from now, or never." I shrugged.

Eventually Zoe returned with the puppy, "I showed him every room." I stuck around for a bit, we played with the puppy until he fell asleep then the three of us played Chutes and Ladders. Afterwards we had a tea party with snacks. After the tea party I went upstairs to get work done.

NICKI POV

OJ and I played trains in his room and read some books which turned into us chatting. He told me all about living with Zoe and Anita, and he asked a lot of questions about the puppies.

I played in his curly hair, "I missed spending time with you baby boy. Especially playing trains. And now you're getting so big."

"I'm gonna get bigger and bigger and bigger like my dad." He exclaimed.

"Like you-? Aubrey?" I asked him.

"Yess." He nodded. "He's my dad right?"

"Yes he is."

"And you're my mom? But did I come from your tummy like Ollie and Ali and Liam?"

"Yes you did."

"What about Mama?"

"She's also your mom."

"But I wasn't in her tummy."

"You weren't in Aubrey's tummy either." I reasoned.

"Oh yeah." He giggled.

"You could've been from Mama's tummy though. Then you would look more like her and not like me." I shrugged. "But we had to decide."

"I want to be from Mama's tummy." He thought aloud.

"Why?"

"She's pretty." He danced a little bit.

"You don't think I'm pretty?" I giggled.

"No.. Mama is pretty." He insisted.

"Dude!" I started tickling him. We ended up going downstairs to get some water. I went on twitter to post the conversation:

-OJ just said he wishes he came from Lydia's tummy because she's pretty and I'm not. 😂🥴 Kids are mean lol

I started slicing an apple for us to share when Liyah and Aubrey entered with the triplets. After a quick snack we ended up playing superheroes as a family which consisted of either Aubrey and I being the villains or the triplets. After dinner, Liyah started a movie with OJ while Aubrey and I put the triplets to bed, then we went to join them for the movie. Once OJ was asleep and in bed, Liyah helped us pack for the morning.

The next morning, I got showered and dressed except for make up and shoes. I found the triplets awake in their cribs.

Aaliyah entered soon after in her pajamas, "How can I help?"

"I can't lift them, but we need them changed, fed, and dressed for the day. In that order."

We worked to get all of that done and woke OJ up in the meantime. Aubrey woke up by the time OJ and I were completely dressed. He helped Liyah pack the triplets into the car for me.

"Are we meeting up for lunch today?"

"No, I can't. Today's our busy day with the employee thats trying to get promoted and stuff." I groaned.

"Oh. You sure you dont want me to take off and have the triplets then?"

"No don't worry about it." I shook my head before kissing him, "I love you babe."

"Love you too."

I turned to Aaliyah, "Thank you for your help." I held her hand. I faced both her and OJ, "You two have a great day at school okay? Anita is gonna swing by and get you in a bit. I love you both." I hugged them.

"Love you" they replied.

"Liyah, can you take him inside for a sec?" I cleared my throat. She didn't question it, but went with OJ in the house. I turned to Aubrey, "I'm scared."

"What's wrong?"

"I-I don't know how to explain it.. but I just feel too content, and grounded.. "

"Thats a good thing."

"I just feel like this means something bad is gonna happen. Like I should be panicking right now because the last time I took the triplets to work- the Kathandra thing happened.. but I'm not."

"But you're panicking now.."

"Yes but only because I'm not panicking. I usually feel it with every part of my body, but I dont. Its just in my head right now, because of how weird it is."

"That you're happy?"

"For once, I'm not overwhelmed, I have everything under control, I'm not stressed or worried about anything. It feels like the calm before the storm."

"You've survived and handled all the crazy shit in your life. Even if something does happen, you of all people can deal with it.. I'll be here no matter what, and so will Lydia and everyone else." He assured me.

At the office, Lydia arrived at the same time as me. Margo and Rachel had came from inside to help me with the babies.

"Here Nic, you take the coffees and stuff, and my purse so we can get all this up in one easy trip." Lydia handed stuff off to me before helping Rachel and Margo with the triplets and the rest of the stuff.

Once we were all settled, Lydia came into my office and sat in a chair, "hi"

"Hi." I mocked her.

"So, what I wanted to tell you yesterday, was that the other night Anita was pretty upset about the ring.. and obviously I suck at explaining stuff so that really pissed her off."

"Understandably." I nodded.

"But then she pauses, and she tells me that she's mad but also turned on and she asked me to basically make her cum so that she can continue the conversation."

"And you did it, obviously." I bit the straw of my smoothie.

"Obviously." She rolled her eyes, "but then she went right back to being upset. And I don't know, it feels weird- you know?"

"That she can have sex with you and feel nothing emotional? Like its just physical." I asked.

"Yeah. Like one-night-stand sex or something."

"I'm sorry she made you feel that way babe.. You need me to talk to her? Or fight her?" I hugged her.

"She apologized yesterday. And she clearly truly meant it." She told me, "I just, needed to know if I was justified in feeling weird about it."

"You were."

"And you are not allowed to fight my girlfriend until I have permission to fight your husband." She added.

"You missed your opportunities and kept secrets from me instead."

"He gripped my shirt. He didnt hit or hurt me Nic." She explained.

"I still would like to know these things. Luke is his brother afterall."

"Babe, if he can't bring himself to actually hit me.. and he hates me. I whole heartily believe that he would never touch you. And thats coming from me." She touched my thigh.

"Thanks."

"No problem. Also, Anita now has a key to my house."

"You guys are adorable."

"Yeah, except I keep fucking up with everything.. because when I try to move slow, its too slow for her, if I speed things up then its too fast. When I try to hold off and let her lead, she thinks I'm uninterested. So I keep trying to find this middle ground and it backfires." She vented.

"You should try telling her that. And asking her what she wants."

"Right."

We interviewed Amber in Lydia's office later that morning. She was set to have lunch with us that afternoon where we'd give her the tentative verdict. We allowed Rachel, Margo and Vanessa to read over the Non-Disclosure Agreement before lunch.

"So we're all in this NDA?" Vanessa asked.

"Well yes. We respect your privacy as much as our own." I told them.

"Thank you." Vanessa looked me in the eye.

Amber returned for lunch which we ate in the lobby once Rachel and Margo returned with everyone's orders.

"A full NDA? How exciting." Amber said as she handed the signed agreement back to me.

"Thank you. So, as you know this lunch is still kind of formal but not entirely, we're still in the building and on the clock so we're all coworkers- and friends. Later on we'll have the dinner-" I explained.

"At my place." Lydia added.

"Where it'll be informal." I continued, "We want to see that you're a fit for us."

"So my career is based on whether or not I fit in-?"

"You have the job. Lunch determines if you get that office. Dinner determines if you get added to the groupchat." Lydia cut to the point.

"Okay." Amber nodded. While we ate we had Amber share her ideas with the group and Lydia and I vented about the Bride-To-Be projects.

"Speaking of all that family stuff, if any of you know how to find good nannies, Aubrey and I are officially searching... I can't share my office with the triplets forever, and getting them here and back is a hassle for all of us. Thanks by the way." I cleared my throat.

"What happened to-?" Vanessa questioned.

"She left." I shrugged, "Yeah, we had a slight altercation and the next morning- she was gone."

"If you need anything, I know my place is small.. but I have help with the twins. My mother will pretend to be reluctant, but she'd be honored if you asked her to help.. and my sister would jump to help you out in a heartbeat." Vanessa offered.

"Those angels should be able to soak up all of that love and attention on their own. I'll manage, especially once we get a nanny and after Logan is born so I can actually lift them again." I smiled.

"Well, the offer still stands." Vanessa shrugged.

"So what did you guys fight about? And why haven't I heard about this?" Margo sipped her drink.

"She just, made some accusations. And I just made it clear that I didn't need her there, I especially don't need anyone who doesn't support me or my family to the fullest."

"I've never liked her anyways. She has always hated me." Margo sat her cup on the table.

"Plus, we know another older woman who would love to play grandmother to more kids since her daughter's gay and won't be giving her any official ones." Lydia chimed.

"Sandy still wants to be apart of the kids' lives. Just she and I don't have to be around each other in order for that to happen. And according to Aubrey, she will not be attending the wedding as of this weekend.. so there's that."

"Now I really wanna know what she said." Margo leaned forward.

I rolled my eyes, "She thinks that I'm clingy, dependent, and that I force people around me to baby me. She said it was 'convenient' that there's always something, from pregnancy, to an accident, to just the whole mental illness thing."

"She thinks that what, Deep down you're glad you have a high risk pregnancy, and now you need a little more help than usual?" Margo lowered her eyes, "Thats so fucking stupid."

"Plus we all know that Nic would prefer to be the one to coddle and spoil everyone around her, rather than the other way around." Lydia pointed out.

"Which is why instead of just asking me to help her out during her pregnancy, since she knows I would without hesitation... she decided to put it in my job description and pay me more." Margo cleared her throat.

"Well, I figured god mother duties don't kick in until the baby is actually bo-." I stated but stopped myself and looked at her with wide eyes.

"Wait.. I-I'm Logan's godmom?!" She practically squealed.

I closed my eyes, "yeah, I realize now that I hadn't actually mentioned that to you yet."

"Well I'm excited. As long as you let me teach her how to stand up for herself."

"Are you gonna teach the baby how to fight and threaten people?" Rachel questioned.

"For the last time, sorry about the arm thing." Margo rolled her eyes.

"Whats the arm thing?" Amber spoke up.

"Nothing, I just used Rachel's arm as leverage to get Nicki to tell us what Aubrey did to her one time."

"You were going to break my arm."

"But I didn't." Margo reasoned.

"Yeah I'm pretty sure that day was a big determiner for his mom hating me too. She brought that up the other day."

"Honestly, you're better off without her." Margo informed.

"You dont have parents right? So its just Aubrey's parents?" Amber asked me.

"Yeah. I haven't talked to his dad in like forever, but he and I were always closer than I was with his mom. So hopefully-"

"Fuck David." Margo spat, "You can't trust him."

"I know he cheated-"

"No, he's a pervert Nic. You have to be careful around him. He's not a pedophile or anything so Ali and Logan are fine I think.. but you and Liyah and Lydia, should not be getting close to him, at all." She warned. I heard the triplets crying as they must've awaken from their nap.

"Eventually, I would love to hear more about- that. But I trust your insight, we'll keep our distance." I stood. I left and went to feed the babies the lunch I had packed them. I ended up reading to them afterwards until there was a knock at the door. "Come in."

Amber entered, "hey, Lydia told me to tell you that she's letting me have the office." She revealed a key.

"Great!" I smiled, "how do you feel about that decision? I mean, we were evaluating you.. but you also have to deal with us."

"I think you guys seem fun, and really close." She smiled.

"Well, if you still feel that way tonight, maybe you'll be apart of the closeness."

"Are these the famous triplets?" She walked over to us.

"Yeah, this is Allison, Oliver and Liam." I introduced.

"They're beautiful." She waved to them, "So, I noticed that the conversation earlier was pretty personal, and it seems like thats a norm. Is it always usually you venting and stuff?"

"Not just me, we all talk and get second opinions from each other. We celebrate the good things too."

"So what's the difference between lunch and dinner today?"

"You guys will have alcohol, no work talk unless necessary. And Lydia's girlfriend, the kids, Aubrey or others might also be present." I listed. "Its completely separate from work life."

She started to respond but her eye caught the window and her smile faded.

"You okay?" I asked her.

"This-is where it happened?" She asked. I took a deep breath and nodded. She walked to the window and looked out of it, "thats a far drop."

"Yeah it is."

"The other camera came from that building over there." She pointed. "And you- could've died trying to save her."

I stood up and walked over to her, "I could've, but I didn't. Now I'm just doing everything I can to make sure the same holds true for my baby."

The rest of the day went smoothly. Lydia, Margo and I stayed at the office until it was almost time to meet for dinner. They helped pack the triplets into the car. Amber was walking up to the door when we all pulled up to Lydia's. Anita was inside with Zoe who was playing on her ipad while Anita prepped dinner. Lydia introduced them to Amber as she washed her hands before she and Anita traded off.

"Amber, its really nice meeting you. I have a few last minute calls to make for work and then I'll be back to join you guys for dinner." Anita smiled before turning to Lydia, "Also, babe Janine is coming as well."

"Is she visiting or working?" Lydia asked.

"Mostly visiting." She washed her hands. They kissed before Anita made her exit.

Zoe looked up from her ipad, "Is OJ coming back ever?"

"He will." I assured her, "you know, Im gonna see if Aubrey can come take the babies home, maybe if OJ wants, he can bring him over for dinner."

"OJ is your son right?" Amber clarified, "and Aubrey is your fiancé?"

"Yeah." I nodded as I shot Aubrey a text.

"Nic, you should let Amber choose the wine, and give her a quick tour." Lydia suggested.

"She can pick the wine but everyone else still needs a tour so we can do a big one later."

I took Amber to the wine cellar, "You have free reign to pick any 3 bottles, they can similar, the same or completely different."

"You said this part is informal right? None of this affects my job?" She clarified.

"Exactly."

"Good, because holy shit!" She spun slowly to take it in.

I couldn't help but giggle. My phone dinged a few times.

"Sounds like I'm needed, you can take your time and browse.. I'll just be texting people back here." I told her as I sat on the bench in the center of the room.

Liyah: Please tell dad to order out tonight 😩 We both know his cooking suckkssss
Nic: lol, ifffff you're willing to babysit Zoe, OJ & the triplets.. I'll tell you where one of my credit cards is hidden.

Lydia: Janine just got here.
Nic: Do I need to come up now? Or?

Margo: omw
Margo: i have a bottle, and chasers.
Margo: and a recipe for a mocktail for you
Nic: lol <3 thanks hun, see you in a bit

Vanessa: Vicky is trying to crash
Nic: bring her

Rachel: be there in 20
Nic: great!

Liyah: yes yes yes!
Nic: your father will bring them over, might be best if you come too to help him out.
Liyah: okay

"All set." Amber stated revealing three bottles in her hand.

"Awesome, and Margo is making it an official party, she's making cocktails."

Back upstairs Janine was talking to Lydia in a low voice, and Zoe was apparently in her room.

"Everything okay?" I asked them.

"I actually should be scheduling an official meeting with you guys to discuss everything, not crashing your dinner." Janine cleared her throat and offered her hand to Amber, "Hi I'm Janine Meyers, their lawyer."

"Oh, I'm Amber Garland. Am I-" Amber shook her hand.

"Janine is also Anita's long term friend and colleague." I explained.

"I brought something for the kids but-" Janine looked around, "I realize if you're having a dinner with friends, Aubrey probably would have the kids."

"The triplets-" I looked around realizing they werent there.

"Are asleep in OJ's room." Lydia giggled.

"Oh. And OJ and Liyah will be here briefly." I continued.

"Well I also have something for you, since you're with child" she pulled a stack of chocolate bars from her purse and handed me one.

"Ooh thank you thank you!" I smiled. We chatted for a bit while Lydia cooked until Anita came downstairs.

"You cut too much stuff babe." Lydia told her.

"How much is left? We can make a salsa or something." Anita walked over and washed her hands again.

"I don't like salsa, so I don't make salsa." Lydia explained.

"How bout you Nic?"

"I haven't had salsa since I found out Lydia didn't eat it." I told her.

"So if I make some, you're not eating it?"

"N- well, yeah I'll eat it." I nodded. Soon Vanessa arrived with her sister. We introduced everyone. Amidst conversation, I noticed Vicky and Vanessa having some sort of fight with their eyes that apparently led them to texting each other often. Eventually, I ended up with a text from Vanessa:

V- Can we talk in private? I kinda have to ask you something..

I made eyecontact and nodded, she, Vicky and I went to the basement to talk.

"Whats up?" I asked as I closed the door.

"Ugh, I hate asking for stuff-" Vanessa pushed her hair back with her hands as she started pacing, gearing herself up to ask me whatever it was.

"Hey." I touched her shoulder causing her to stop and look at me, "its me.. you can ask me for anything, you know that."

"I know, and I appreciate that- but"

"She can't raise two kids in a small one-bedroom apartment." Vicky explained.

Vanessa elbowed her harshly before explaining further, "I thought I could, you know, I figured we'd just be really close. But its hard, and they're getting bigger, and when I do have help its just even more crowded-"

"So, I know you.. and I know how independent and self sufficient you are. So if you're coming to me, its because you really need it. But since I respect your independence so much, I don't want to overstep." I spoke slow and low, "You tell me how you want me to help, and consider it done. How ever much or however little it is, whether its paying for it, helping you search or cosigning, whatever."

"Thank you." A tear fell from her eye. I hugged her.

"I knew you were nice and chill, but I wasn't expecting-"

"Well, your mother has only mentioned it every time she sees me anyways. And everytime, I tell Vanessa, all she has to do is ask me and I'll do it." I shrugged.

"Mom's annoying, ignore her." Vicky rolled her eyes.

"Are you thinking of a house or a bigger apartment?" I asked.

"I don't know yet."

"Right, sorry.. got a little overexcited." I bit my lip. "You'll let me know what you need right?"

"Thanks again."

"Is that all?" I looked at both of them.

"Yeah." She nodded.

"Can I ask you something?" I squinted at her.

"Sure..." she replied nervously.

"You've had so many opportunities to take advantage of me, of my trust, my kindness and my money. And you never have.. why?"

"Why haven't I taken advantage of you?" She repeated.

"Yeah."

She made sure to look me in the eye, "Because you're my friend."

"One more question."

"Okay?"

"Well, recent events have reminded me once again that life is short, and I have way too many close calls with death... so since I already accidentally announced Margo as Logan's godmom, I wanted to officially ask you to be the triplets' godmother."

"You trust me as their guardian..?" Her jaw dropped.

"You are so strong, genuine and resilient.. and I admire your ideals. Those are things that I would love my kids to learn from you"

She accepted the request and we hugged before heading upstairs.

"Oh just in time Nic!" Anita announced, "You have to be the first taster of the salsa." She took a spoon and scooped a bit of salsa on it. She fed it to me directly. "What do you think?"

I covered my mouth so I could continue chewing, "its so good."

"Hi mom." Liyah's voice startled me. I turned in the direction of her voice as she, Aubrey and OJ entered with Lydia behind them. I walked over to greet them, hugging each of them. Aubrey grabbed my ass and squeezed it in his hand as we hugged. I pulled away and introduced Amber to them. I went to go back by Anita but Aubrey grabbed my wrist causing me to tense up and gasp. I stayed by him as Margo arrived with bags of drinks. I started to help Lydia get the cups for everyone but Aubrey grabbed me once again. Every time I attempted to walk away he grabbed me and pulled me back, eventually he had just forced me to stand directly in front of him with bis hands on my stomach. I complied, in an effort to avoid causing a scene. One of his hands let go and I noticed he was on his phone so I grabbed mine and sent an SOS message to the groupchat. Everyone slowly read the notification and I watched as each of them caught on to what I meant. Lydia stayed on her phone a while longer and eventually Liyah checked hers.

Liyah toyed with her phone for a second before clearing her throat, "Hey dad, can you help me pack some stuff to take over to the house?"

"You can't pack?"

"I-"

"Plus Drake, you don't have a uterus... so you're really blocking the point of girl's night, if theres a man in the room the whole time." Margo sipped her drink.

Aubrey rested his chin on my shoulder and whispered in my ear, "Babe, do you want me to leave?"

Before I could respond, Margo interrupted again, "Drake get off of her before I tell them one of the reasons your mother hates me." He hesitated, but eventually let me go.

I took a breath and sipped the mocktail she had made me before turning to Aubrey, "Here, lets get the triplets packed okay?"

I held his hand as we left and went upstairs. Once in the hallway, I hit his arm, "What the fuck Aubrey?"

"What?"

"You don't have to be on top of me all night, and constantly grabbing me and holding me in place.. you might as well put a fucking leash around my neck."

"Ni-"

"No! Because I told you this night was important to me, and you're doing everything in your power to make sure I can't enjoy it."

"How is me being here ma-"

"Because you're acting like your fucking brother." I told him.

"What?"

"That possessive and controlling shit.."

He exhaled and his attitude left, "I wasn't trying to control you Nic."

"Every time I tried to move or do anything you snatched me and pulled me back to stand by you. What is that?"

"Im sorry."

"Can you just talk to me? Did I do something, are you mad at me or something?" I asked.

"No, I was just- it was me okay? I'm sorry, I fucked up."

"I love you." I reassured him.

"Just please don't compare me to Luke.."

"You'll never be him."

"I was jealous I guess.. even though I shouldn't have been."

"Jealous of what?"

"I don't know Nic. How do I know which girls are just friends or which ones you secretly wanna fuck?" He blurted out, "Or when you're flirting and shit and all that."

"Just ask me." I held my hands towards him, "And just because I have a crush on someone, doesn't mean you have to worry about anything. I don't want to hurt you, ever. I'm not fucking this up, but I really need you to trust me."

"I do trust you-"

"I have bruises from you grabbing my arms tonight. Thats not what trust looks like." I showed him my wrists.

"Shit Nic.. I'm so-"

"Stop apologizing." I exhaled, "we'll talk later."

"You still mad?"

"Im not mad." I shook my head, "frustrated, upset and hurt.. yes, but not mad. But we'll talk about it later, I want you to have time to think and process your emotions and actions. I want to work with you, not against you."

"Ok.."

"I love you Aubrey." I touched his cheek.

"So what do we have to talk about at home?"

"A couple of things," I told him, "but for now lets get the triplets set."

"You can't just tell me?"

I took his hands in mine, "I would like to figure out this whole jealousy thing, just to know where its stemming from and what we- as a couple- can do to help it. And I wanted to run something by you with the wedding. Also, we can come up with ideas for what we are searching for in a nanny. And whatever else might come up."

"Oh."

"Kiss me." I pressed my chest up against him.

"Are you asking or telling?" He smirked. I poked my bottom lip out and he gently bit it. We ended up making out for a bit before pulling away from each other. I giggled, causing him to give me a weird look. "What?" He asked.

"I- I feel awesome right now." I bit my lip.

"Really?" He raised his eyebrows.

"Yeah.." i blushed and laid my head on his chest. "Okay, but I do have to get back downstairs. Let me help you with-"

"I got it, just go enjoy your dinner." He kissed the top of my head.

"See you tonight." I hugged him once more before returning downstairs. They were setting the table as Margo began pouring wine for everyone. Once we were seated and began eating, Aubrey and Liyah came down with the babies. They waved from afar as they left. The dinner went well, Amber seemed to align with Margo, Lydia, Vicky and Anita mostly, though everyone got along. When the night ended, I returned home where the triplets were already asleep and Liyah and Aubrey were watching a movie in the basement. I went and laid my hands on both of their shoulders.

Liyah turned and looked up, "Hey you're home!" She smiled.

"I don't want to interrupt your movie, I'm gonna hop in the shower." I told them both before Aubrey kissed me. I played music from my phone while I showered. When I got out I combed my hair in the mirror before putting on a robe. I stared at my reflection for a few moments.

"Hey Nic" Aubrey's voice startled me, he chuckled when he noticed me jump, "Sorry, I just got a text from my brother. He and my other siblings just decided to come down here for a bit and meet you and the kids."

"You're just finding this out?" I turned to him.

"I can show you the text if you want."

"I believe you." I pulled my hair into a bun. "Are they staying here or hotels?"

"Hotels. You dont have to keep letting my people stay at your house Nic."

"Its our house.. and unless you plan on filling all of these rooms up with children, we'll always have ample space to accommodate people." I explained.

"Well, you wanna have that talk now?"

I followed him out the bathroom, "I dont want us to fight though. We're having a conversation, thats all."

"Okay."

"For today," I sat him on the bed, "was there something that actually happened that fueled your- jealousy.. or was it simply just having Lydia and Anita there or? What?"

He scratched the back of his head, "a mix.. from the talk yesterday, just in general, and I guess when she was spoon feeding you.."

"I was just tasting the salsa she made... but if thats too intimate, thats an easy change that I can make." I stated.

"Just like that?"

"Yeah." I nodded, "I dont need to be fed, so if you think it's inappropriate or unnecessary, I won't do it."

"Thank you"

"Its nothing." I gave him a nod.

"You said all I had to do was ask who you have a thing for right?"

"Yeah."

"Well?"

"Lydia and Anita, obviously. Vanessa you already know. Thats it." I told him.

"No one else?" He verified.

"Well, can I ask you something first?" I squinted.

"Yeah?"

"Are there girls in your life, either now or in the past.. that even though they're attractive and all, you just don't see them that way?"

"Yeah."

"Well, thats how the rest are. And if its any solace, thats how Anita sees me.. so me and her are safe." I laid back on the bed. "Look, I get that I fucked up.. and I lost your trust, and I hurt you. And I know that maybe I'll never earn it back, but it really sucks you know? I don't know how to be okay with it, how to deal with it.. and I also cant just force you to forgive me and trust me."

"Nic-"

"You're about to lie to me and I told you not to do that Aubrey." I shook my head. "Lets just, change the subject okay?"

"What else did you want to talk about?"

"The wedding."

He paused for a second, and I saw his heart drop, "What about it?"

"I know you want the big wedding, and I do too I guess, but thats gonna take time to plan and I'm gonna have to wait until my body is right again after I have Logan.."

"What are you saying?"

"What if we got married just in a small setting like the courthouse weddings you know? Like we're eloping or something."

"Nic-"

"Hear me out." I interrupted, "we'll do that, just to make it official. And still continue planning the big one."

A smile crept across his face, "I like this idea."

"You do?" I bit my lip.

"Yeah." He kissed me.

I laid my head on his shoulder, "I can't wait to be your wife."

"Yeah same."

"When are your siblings coming?"

"They'll be in town tomorrow. We dont have to see them until you're ready."

"Okay." I nodded.

"It'll be your call."

"I have a question."

"Yeah?"

"Why doesnt Margo trust your dad?"

He scratched the back of his neck, "she never fully told me, and he didn't tell me either."

"I'll ask her." I shrugged. "Speaking of, she said we could use her name in the nanny search."

"Why?"

"Because if we put Onika and Aubrey, half the world is gonna apply and not for the sake of our kids. I need people that want the job and are qualified for the job to apply, and later find out who we are."

"That makes sense."

"Do we want a live-in nanny or just someone to be around while we work?"

"Just while we work." He answered.

"So we would need a start and end time. How much we're willing to pay, and expectations." I listed, "then I can put the ad out and as applications come in we'll go over them, narrow down and conduct interviews."

"You talk like you run a business all day." He joked.

I giggled, "I like schedules and time lines and plans. Its structured and it works."

"Is that why you chose a wedding date in advance? You needed a deadline?"

"Precisely. Its a lot harder to make decisions and be excited about an abstract event than if I know I have an event set for a specific date and I need to have everything ready and perfect for it." I explained, "now, back to the nanny."

"5 kids, plus Logan. Obviously need to be fed and OJ and Liyah have to go to school.."

"Well, its impossible to drive 6 kids in a car, so I'm gonna hope that Anita can continue to be the ride to school. Although Liyah could always get a license. Then there's also uber." I suggested.

"Okay between Anita and Uber. The nanny would just have to make sure they're ready in time for that ride." He nodded.

"Some practice work with OJ afterschool, like reading writing or math. And Liyah could use a bit of help with homework, or at least someone to make sure she's getting it done." I added, "the triplets, as long as they get some outside time and some story time per day, and are happy and fed, thats all they need. Logan is pretty much gonna be the same."

"That makes sense."

"So we just need the time frame and the pay rate." I got up and straddled him.

"Are we deciding that now? Or?" He rubbed my thighs.

"Well, the time is up to you.. the nanny would have to arrive before you leave for work, and would leave sometime after you get back. I would want to pay top dollar, these are our kids... if we are trusting someone to care for them and essentially be another parent to them. There's not a price you can put on that."

"There's a such thing as overpaying."

"Not when its our kids." I shook my head. "Plus the puppy."

"She should get here before you leave out. To help with the triplets in the morning since you cant lift yet. And leave at 5 after I get home."

"So 5-5? Thats a 12 hour day." I scrunched my nose.

"She'll have frequent time off." He shrugged.

"What if we got 2? Mon-Weds and Thurs-Fri? And the thurs-Fri one could be available for when we need a sitter or on weekends occasionally?"

"Yeah, okay." He agreed.

"I can put it up now and who knows, we might start getting responses by tomorrow." I said excitedly.

Once the ad was up online, Aubrey and I began making out on the bed. As he laid me down and undid my robe, my phone buzzed.

"Ignore ittt." Aubrey groaned as he started kissing down my body.

"I just want to see who it is." I reached for my phone and unlocked it as he reached my core. "Its Aaliyah. Hold on-" I put my hand down to block him from licking me while I texted her back. He kissed my inner thighs while he waited.

A- Hey, uh.. do you need anything? I just wanted to check.

O- I'm good. Are you okay?

A- yeah, just bored and cant quite sleep yet.

O- If you want, you can pack the bags for the triplets for me. I was gonna rush and get it all together in the morning. But that would be a huge help.

A- okay.

O- love you babe❤️

A- love you too

I put my phone down and moved my hand.

"Everything good?" He asked.

"Yep."

"Good." He buried his tongue inside of me.

I woke up the next morning with my head on his chest. I didnt want the moment to end so I laid there while I checked my phone. I had some work emails as well as a few responses from the nanny ad. I put the responses into a folder for me to go through at the office. I had texts from both Lydia and Margo telling me they were a tad hung over. I giggled as I sent them both emojis and told them I couldn't relate.

With Liyahs help I got the triplets ready and out the door, Margo and Rachel met me at the office and helped get them to my office.

"We missed you last night Rach." I said after we were all settled.

"Yeah, I ended up being kinda tired so I stayed home."

"Well at least I have a functional employee. Since Ms Mixologist here is hungover and so is Lydia, I don't even know if shes coming in."

"Hey, I am 70% functional." Margo defended.

"Drink some water and get some sleep. You can lay on the couch in my office." I put my hand on her shoulder, "Hopefully you'll be at at least 90% by lunch."

Vanessa and Lydia arrived around the same time. I made Lydia lie down as well, Vanessa mentioned a slight headache but assured me her Gatorade and a pill would be fine. Amber rushed off of the elevator an hour or so later. Her clothes were wrinkled and she had sweat pants on under her dress. Her shoes didnt match and her hair was in a messy bun.

"I'm late! Sorry!" She panted.

"Okay, what the hell did Margo put in those drinks last night." I shook my head, "Rachel, take her into her office and help her please." I walked back into my office as they left.

RACHEL POV

"Oh my God is she gonna fire me?" Amber groaned once I shut her office door.

"Everyone is hungover today so I think you're good."

"Seriously?"

"Margo and Lydia are both sleeping as we speak, and Vanessa came in with ibuprofen in her purse." I explained.

"Do they always do this?"

"Usually on the weekend so that this doesnt happen. But Margo is a lot.. she scares me sometimes. But I think she made the night a little more extra than usual."

"So we can just sleep or whatever? On the job?"

"She's big on personal and mental health. Also, productivity and results are more important to them than what you're doing on the clock. As long as everything gets done on time and correctly, you could shop for houses for all they care." I told her. "And theres barely anything to do up here today anyways."

"Wow. I thought it would be stricter being right here with the bosses."

"I did too. But you can still be fired so dont get comfortable." I warned.

NICKI POV

I emailed my bride to be's back first, with a legal pad beside me to remember key details about each one. Afterwards I sifted through emails from employees. Then potential interns. Then other businesses. By the time I had to feed and change the triplets again it was 10am and Margo had woken up from her nap although she wasnt quite ready to get all the way up yet.

"What time is it?" She groaned.

"10." I told her as I changed Ollie on the floor. I talked to her about Aubrey's siblings coming while I changed everyone and gave them each an applesauce pouch and opened the first layer of their lunch boxes where Liyah had packed them cubes of cheese, a hawaiian roll and mushed carrots. While the boys ate their pouches, I fed the carrots to Ali. Once she was done, I gave her a pouch and handed Ollie his roll while I fed Liam his carrots. Then gave Liam and Ali both their rolls while I fed Ollie his carrots. Once I was done, I left them to feed themselves the cheese while I warmed their bottles. I handed each of them a bottle as I went back to my desk.

I made a spreadsheet to judge the potential nannies and sent it to Aubrey once I filled in my opinions. I also screenshotted and sent him the inquiries so he could do it on his own. He texted letting me know he'd do it once he got home.

I got a text from Anita asking if today was a good day to do lunch.

O- I have the triplets, you'd have to come to my office.

A- what do you want me to bring?

O- hmmm a really good burger and a milkshake😍

A- lol I'll put in an order and be there.

I took some papers out to Rachel to be mailed. Amber was working from her laptop beside her desk.

"Hey! You're dressed like a human being." I jested as I sat the papers on Rachel's desk. "Can you put these in envelopes? The addresses are on the sticky notes. Then call an intern to take it to the mailroom."

"Got it." Rachel nodded.

"Nicki!" Vanessa opened her office door, "are you busy?"

"No."

"Is this a good time?" She raised her eyebrows.

"Ohhh yeah this is perfect." I followed her into her office. She showed me a few houses and apartments she had been looking at.

"I just dont know if it makes sense to just get a house and struggle to pay for it until my loans are covered, or get a bigger apartment."

"I think, you should find your forever home. Somewhere you really imagine yourself raising the girls in. You should think about the schools nearby and the neighborhoods." I explained. "And of course proximity to work."

"That makes sense. But that doesn't seem like the financially smart decision. At least not yet."

"How much more of your student loans are you paying off?"

She pulled up a spreadsheet, "83, but the longer it takes, the higher it gets."

"And once thats paid off, the houses you like are affordable for you?" I verified.

"Yeah."

"What if, I just paid it off then? Then you can just be set. Its just a stupid lingering debt."

"Absolutely not, do you seriously have $83,000 just sitting around?"

"In savings? Yeah. I have more savings accounts and more money sitting than necessary." I assured.

"Thats a lot Nic."

"If it makes you feel any better, you can slowly pay some of it back to me. No interest or anything, and just whatever you can afford, whenever you can. If it never ends up adding up, oh well."

"I cant take that much money Nic, it doesnt feel right."

"Do the math, and let me know. I'm not going to force you to take it." I touched her hand, "Lydia and I did the same thing when we started out. We stayed in an apartment until we paid off our loans and then we saved up to buy our houses."

"So if you had the help, would you have taken it?"

I sighed, "Im sure there were plenty of people who would've been more than happy to help me, but it would've came with a price that wasn't worth paying. But I am offering you my help because I genuinely want to see you succeed. No strings attached."

"I'll think about it."

"You know where to find me." I offered her a smile before turning to leave.

"Hey Nic..."

"Yeah?"

"Thank you, seriously. For everything."

When I left her office, I went to check on Lydia who was vomiting in her office.

"Are you okay?"

"I feel like shit." She groaned as she wiped her mouth.

"You should go home."

"Its a hangover, it'll pass. You're just gonna get Anita all stressed." She insisted.

"You sure babe."

"If it starts to seem like anything else, I will be sure you're the first to know." She assured me.

"I'll send for some stuff to help your stomach." I told her, "oh and Im having lunch with Anita. So I guess I'll just keep her out of your office."

"Thank you." She managed a smile before laying back down.

Back in my office, Margo was up and working on her laptop.

"Its barely noon." I checked my phone.

"I'm good now. Thanks by the way." She gave me a thumbs up, "I can actually have this done before I go to lunch, do you have any of your stuff you need help with."

"We'll figure something out." I shrugged. "Anita will be here soon, I need you to help make sure she doesn't go into Lydia's office."

Margo giggled for a split second, "Does she have like another girl in there or something?"

"Absolutely not." I put my hands on my hips.

Margo worked by Rachel's desk while Anita ate in my office with me and the triplets.

"wow, the last time we did this, was catastrophic." Anita noted as she sat her bags on the table.

"Luckily, we have Margo out there now. No one is getting past her." I replied.

"i'm glad she makes you feel safe." she smiled as she started taking the burgers out of the bag. "I brought one for Lydia, I can hop over to-"

"She actually ate already." I cut her off.

"Nic, there is no use in you hiding things from me now. You were hard to read when you were connected to Lydia, but now-" she stepped close to me and looked me in my eyes, "Completely transparent."

"Can we just have lunch? please?"

"Fine, how are you? I know I saw you last night but, in general."

"Im good, kind of nervous, but good."

"nervous?"

"yeah, I'm meeting the rest of Aubrey's siblings tonight."

"usually meeting the parents is the hard part."

"well one of his brothers raped Lydia. So, the bar isnt very high. The other brother I've met is super cool and chill. He's also Margo's brother. But who's to say they'll like me?"

"Try starting off passive. Get to know them, and then slowly put the best version of yourself forward based on how they are."

"Here I thought you'd say to just be myself."

"well yeah. but the same way you have your professional self, your laxed self, the ballsy self that you introduced to my parents, the protective one, and so on. All of them are you, but different versions of yourself that you bring out depending on the situation." she explained.

"I get it." I nodded as I sat down. We both took bites of our burgers before I spoke again, "Despite the rollercoaster this weekend, did you actually enjoy your birthday?"

"I did. Don't worry, things are always a mess when my parents are involved. They just ignite something in me that makes me completely crazy and paranoid and out of character."

"Luckily you're cute and otherwise very lovable, thus all is forgiven by the rest of us. Especially Lydia." I shrugged.

She offered a slight smile before sticking out her tongue, "Well thanks."

"Have you talked to your parents since?"

"Yeah, they want an official meet and greet with Lydia and I guess Liyah and OJ." she rolled her eyes.

"Are you gonna do it?"

"You know," she sat her burger on the table, "I spent so much of my life trying to be this perfect daughter for them, and trying to get validation from them. I've done a lot, for nothing, and for once I'm genuinely happy and I feel loved and supported. But I'm still caught in this in between, because part of me feels like what I have is enough and I should just say fuck it and stop answering their calls, but the other part of me wants to force them to accept it, accept me. I want them to see and know that this is what I want, and I want them to find a way to want it for me as well."

"That's valid." I wiped the corner of my mouth, "They're your parents, they should value your happiness over their beliefs. But thats not always the case, and it sucks. Call me an optimist, or maybe naive, but I think that maybe you should talk to them about it. Let them know, they can either continue to be apart of your life, get over themselves and be happy for you, or they can step back and let you be happy without them."

"You're right." She groaned. "But you've met them-"

"Parents inherently hate me, thats just a given. So I cant fully have an input. Plus, we were playing them." I pointed out.

"Aubrey's parents don't hate you."

"Oh please." I rolled my eyes, "His dad is only nice to me in hopes of one day fucking me. And his mom only put up with me because of the kids. She hated every bit of my existence until I was pregnant with the triplets. And even still, she never stops reminding me."

"His parents disapprove of your relationship?" She raised her eyebrows before exhaling, "I guess he and I really do have more in common than I thought."

"Told ya." I giggled.

"Well, how is he handling it? I know you sent her away, but is he also-"

"I told Aubrey since the beginning, not to allow me to fuck up his relationship with his family and friends. Every time there was a fight I reminded him not to take my side because it would hurt their relationship."

"But your advice to me was the opposite."

"His parents hate me, because I'm me and because of things I've done. Your parents are homophobic, they hate your relationship because of that. There is a difference between me knowing how badly I fucked up, or how annoying I can be.. and there being consequences for that, and someone having so much hate over a group of people based solely on who they love."

"You didn't fuck up Nic-"

"I did. And I can't fix it. So because of that, Aubrey will never ever fully trust me again. His parents will always hate me, and all of them are inherently rude to Lydia."

"So you're gonna marry a man that doesn't trust you?"

"Well the only person who will both love me and trust me without fail forever and always, is head over heels in love with you, and I don't plan on fucking that up. So I'll go with the man I love unconditionally. And he loves and accepts me."

"But trust is just such an important aspect of a relationship."

"Well I'm me, I don't really get to have it all. So I'm good with the closest thing to it."

"Are you happy?"

"Yes, I am." I nodded.

"Well, thats all that matters."

"Thanks."

We continued lunch and as it began to end she asked, "Am I on the list of people you don't lie to?"

"Of course."

"I just have to ask the right questions?"

"Yeah."

"Is Lydia mad at me or upset because of me?"

I leaned forward, "No."

"Thats the look you do when you're about to avoid having to lie but still not tell the full truth." She pointed out. "Is it just me being kept out of her office?"

"No."

"Is she busy with work?"

"You're not giving up are you?"

"Im a therapist, raised by the fbi. I can go all day." She leaned back.

"Truce? If I tell you what it is, you promise not to go in and not to pester her about it?"

"Truce."

"She's been throwing up all morning, she said was a hangover but its seeming like more. She doesn't want to worry you or anything so she didn't want you in there. And she said she'll let me know if it truly is worse or not." I explained.

"I guess that since I am 100% sure that you won't let anything happen to her and you'll make sure she is okay... I'll stand down." She sighed, "Can you at least keep me updated?"

"Of course." I nodded, "And I'll get Lydia to do so as well, if its bad."

"Thank you, I know its hard for you to go against her wishes-"

"Technically I was only told not to let you in her office, which is still not gonna happen. But yes, though its hard, I can do so when its better for her." I explained.

"Even without that bond thing, you two really have something special." She pointed out, "I can only hope that my relationship with her can be half of what yours is."

"I honestly think it was just a strong codependence. We both became everything the other needed. A friend, a sister, a mom, a daughter, a lover, and so on."

"I would've figured that out myself."

"I figured I'd save you the effort." I shrugged, "but tell me, how do you manage time to work, be a guardian of Zoe, be in a committed relationship, have friends, and personally investigate my relationship with Lydia."

"You should see my resume." She winked as she stood up.

"I'd love to."

"I have to get back to work, we should do this again some time." She picked up her purse.

"Wait, quick question."

"Yeah?" She stopped in her tracks.

"Aubrey and I are actively searching for a nanny as of last night. Would you be able to do your thing with the potentials to help us make the best decision? I'll pay you, whatever price. But I know that you're a professional in figuring out who kids will be safe and happy with, and I'm still really freaking out internally about trusting a random person-"

"If you think that you need me.. then yes. But I will only be a consultant, the decision making is all yours." She stated.

"Thank you." I shook her hand. "Also-"

"Nic I really have to go." She groaned.

"Can you continue to take OJ and Liyah to and from school with Zoe? Its just not really probable to do so unless I buy a minivan or something for the nanny to ride around in."

"Sure."

Once she was gone, I went back to check on Lydia. She was laying on the couch pale and partially asleep.

"Hey babe," I knelt by her, "how are you feeling?"

She didn't respond, she just groaned.

"Well you look like shit. Can you stand up for me?"

She opened her eyes for a moment before closing them.

"I'm calling an ambulance. You need to be in a hospital okay?" I touched her forehead. "You're burning up."

"No, I'm cold." She managed in a whispered voice.

"I'll see if Anita can meet us at the hospital, where's your phone?"

She lifted her hand slighting to reveal her phone beneath it. Once the ambulance was on its way I called Anita.

"Hey! Whats up?" She answered in a cheery tone.

"Its me, I just called an ambulance for Lydia. Can you meet us at the hospital?"

"Is- is she okay?"

"We'll find out when we get there. But she's not really responsive. She's burning up, pale and the only thing she said to me is that she's cold."

"Sounds like the flu or something." She stated, "Keep me posted, I'm gonna call into work and let them know I won't be there. You have the triplets, are you sure you can leave right now?"

"Margo can watch them for me and I'll have Aubrey come and get them when he gets off if necessary."

"Okay, see you in a bit." She hung up.

I went to the lobby, "Hey Margo, Lydia needs to go to the hospital. I'm gonna ride in the ambulance with her, so can you stay with the triplets?"

"Yeah, is everything alright?"

"She's just sicker than we thought." I nodded.

"Anything I can do?" Rachel asked.

"Get Vanessa and Amber."

She left and returned with each of them.

"Alright, lets get everyone up to speed." I clasped my hands together, "Lydia is sick, Im taking her to the hospital, the ambulance will be here any minute. We should have practiced this beforehand, but I'll go through this really quickly. In the case that Lydia and I are both unable to work for whatever reason, Vanessa is the next in line. That means, Vanessa's in charge, while we're gone she is to be treated as if shes Lydia and I. Any urgent decisions will be made by her, and so on. Margo, per her job description is Vanessa's second in command because she is basically a professional subset of myself anyways. Amber and Rachel, I need you two to make sure that is perceived and carried out by the rest of the employees. So anyone that comes to see me, should be directed to one of them, all calls, meetings and memos, and so on."

"I-I'm in charge?" Vanessa stuttered as the sirens sounded outside.

"I promise to formerly prepare you in the future. I just never considered actually having to enact this step. Luckily its a slow day, there shouldnt be any problems, and I am still a text message away."

"Who was in charge when you were in the hospital after the accident?" She asked.

"Lydia worked from her phone. And you were again, technically in charge when you came into work each day."

The elevator doors opened as EMT entered.

"We got a call about a woman b-"

"Follow me." I led them into her office. She was unconscious again so I touched her forehead gently.

"Are you two close?" An EMT asked.

"Closer than siamese twins." I replied.

"How long has she been like this?" He asked as the other EMTs checked her vitals.

"Well, she came in feeling sick, but she thought she was just hungover. About an hour and a half ago she was throwing up a lot and wanted space. I came in here maybe 15 minutes ago and she was pale, barely responsive, she was burning up but complaining about being cold."

"What has she eaten in the last 24 hours?"

"Uh.. yesterday morning, she had her usual, a bagel and a coffee. Lunch she had a chicken caesar salad, no crutons, extra tomato. Dinner we had pasta, and she had some drinks. This morning, she was too sick for coffee so she drank water. She managed some plain toast." I listed.

"Any allergies?"

"Just bees, dustmites and occasionally shellfish."

"Is she on any medications?"

"No."

"Previous conditions?"

"She had an eating disorder in middle school and breast cancer about 8 years ago."

"Any chance she's pregnant?"

"Zero." I stated as I watched the other EMTs move her to the stretcher. "I can answer anything else in the ambulance."

"Uh, you're pregnant."

"And youre tall, are we done describing each other?" I walked past him.

"Its a risk" he stated as we followed the other EMTs.

"So is driving a car, walking down the stairs and pretty much anything else." I rolled my eyes.

Anita met us at the hospital and nearly broke down into tears when Lydia was rolled by her.

"Part of it is dehydration, so once they finish fixing that she should be responsive and awake at least." I told her.

"Aren't you worried?"

"My lifeline is laying there partially lifeless, hell yeah I'm worried." I stated, "but I believe wholeheartedly that she'll pull through."

We sat in the waiting room for over an hour together.

"I really love her, you know." She stated, breaking the silence.

"I know you do."

"Does she?"

"Of course she knows." I assured her.

"She's fucking perfect."

"She says the same thing about you."

"Why didn't she want to see me today then?"

"Because she thought she was super hungover, she thought you'd be disappointed or something. Plus she was throwing up so much it was gross." I explained, "But more than anything.. it was really because she wasn't going to be able to enjoy your company. She looks forward to every bit of time she gets to spend with you, she didn't want you there while she was barely staying awake."

"She won't want to see me here when she comes to..." she sighed.

"Thats not true. She's gonna want you there. That'll make her want to stay awake more, and it'll make her feel closer to you."

"Everything seems so simple when you say it." She said, "So can I ask you something completely off the record?"

"As in... don't tell Lydia?"

"The ring, and the key to her house.. are they really as casual as she says they are?"

"Do you mean, deep down was it supposed to be a proposal and her asking you to move in?"

"Yes."

"She doesn't want you to feel forced or rushed into anything. She loves you, and she just really wants to be with you, and for you to be happy... because you make her happy."

"For Lydia Colvin?" A nurse interrupted us, causing us both to sit up straight.

"Yeah."

"How is she?"

"She is doing just fine. Would you like to see her?" He smiled.

"Yes." we answered simultaneously.

As we followed him to her room he explained that her symptoms were a result of a mild case of the flu, a stomach bug and dehydration all at the same time. When we entered the room, the doctor was talking to her while she drank water from a straw.

Once the doctor left Anita and I stood at either side of Lydia's bed.

"Onika don't say a word." Lydia tapped my arm.

"I wasn't." I denied.

"What were you gonna say?" Anita asked.

"Now you're just leaving your girlfriend out of the loop babe." I teased.

"You're just eating this up aren't you?" Lydia shoved me.

"Why am I being abused?" I giggled, "and Anita, what I would have said was that she was so reluctant on getting her flu shot this year.. I bet she's glad she did, or else it would've been more than a touch of the flu that she has now."

"Can I just say that I am not at all amused by any of this.. and both of you are making light of the fact that this is a serious situation." Anita said through her teeth.

"Sorry." I bit my lip.

"Babe, I'm fine. I get to go home in the morning, and I'll be back to normal in no time." Lydia told her.

"Yeah... Nic, can you um.. give us a minute?" Anita wrapped one of her curls around her finger.

"No problem." I nodded.

In the hallway I finally had a chance to check my phone. I had 15 messages from Aaliyah asking if we were really in the hospital and if everything was okay and why no one was answering her.

O- hey hun. Sorry, yes we are in the hospital. Lydia was sick, no big deal. She'll go home in the morning.

A- its all over social media. Theres pictures and everything.

O- I was unaware of that...

A- yeah its all everyone's been talking about.

O- yikes. Thanks for the heads up. I'll let you know if things change. Please finish being a student.

I texted Aubrey as well:

O- hey babe. We're at the hospital with Lydia. She's fine, but we'll probably stay here for a while. The triplets are at the office with Margo, can you get the kids from school and take them to our house, that way Anita can grab Zoe from there tonight?

A- ok.. are yall good?

O- yeah, but I really miss your face

A- want me to swing by later?

O- No, but promise you wont shower until I get home 😜

A- freak💦😜

O- not the best time to start the sexting chapter of our relationship

A- so it will happen eventually correct?

O- hush lol

LYDIA POV

Once Nic was gone, Anita sat on the edge of the bed.

"Am I in trouble?" I asked.

"What? No.. I mean, I don't love that you didn't want me to know you weren't feeling well, and you two joking about it." She expressed, "I mean I was really worried."

"Well I'm here." I shrugged.

"I started feeling crazy you know? Like what if I lose you, and what if so how am I going to be? Did I miss the opportunities to make sure you knew how i felt? And-"

"Well I'm not dead, I don't plan on dying anytime soon."

"I love you so much Lydia, I do."

"I love you Anita." I told her.

"What if we got engaged?"

"Is this a proposal?" I raised my eyebrows.

"Well- I guess if I got on one knee it would be more obvious."

"Don't do that.. do not get on-" I groaned as she started gettin off the bed, "You don't even have a ring, what are you doing?"

"Lydia, I'm serious."

"I know that on some level you are.. but right now in this moment you are reacting. And I dont want our relationship to be a result of a reaction." I palmed my face.

"So you don't want to marry me?"

"Thats not what I said." I shook my head.

"Whats the problem?"

"I feel like you're not actually ready for this, I don't want to rush you into anything. Especially an engagement out of pity for me getting sick." I explained, "and for Gods sake get off the floor."

She got up, "I've thought it through, I'm ready for this.."

"Come here." I sighed. She leaned close and I placed one hand over her heart and the other on her cheek. Her hands gently laid on top of mine. I stared into her big beautiful eyes, almost getting lost in them. Her jaw and facial muscles were completely relaxed. "Your heart is beating so fast right now."

"I just let down so many of my walls for you to essentially reje-"

"I'm sorry for giving you a hard time. I was trying to protect you from doing something you could regret later."

"Why would I regret it?"

"I don't know, you're so perfect and deserve the same. And I didn't want you to make rash decisions just because I was unconscious for a bit."

"You're just giving me more reasons to want to marry you. I want to be with someone who is going to protect me, even when the thing she's protecting me from is something she wants. You're so beautiful, inside and out. You make so many sacrifices for your friends and family. You have just the right amount of meanness in you, and your sense of humor is unmatched. You're driven and optimistic but also realistic and calculated. You're spontaneous and classy and down to earth -"

"I get it."

"Humble was gonna come next." She giggled. "Now am I allowed to ask you?"

"On one condition.."

"Yes?"

"Don't get on the floor."

"Okay."

"We're equals, on the same level."

"I like that philosophy." She smiled.

"Can't believe I'm gonna marry the rebel daughter. Considering your parents hate every aspect of our relationship and this family."

"My sister and her husband are swingers. At least we're not their least favorites." She shrugged.

"I can't wait to be home with you again."

"I'm just so glad you're okay."

"I'm not going anywhere, I'm too excited to see how you and I turn out." I bit my lip.

"I love you." She leaned on me.

"I love you too but lets not forget I'm still sick so-"

She kissed me to shut me up, "aw are you scared of getting me sick?" She kissed me again.

"You are sick." I joked.

"Oh?"

"I guess since you're my fiancée now, I should just get used to it." I winked.

She gasped and her face flushed red, "Wait.."

"Yes." I smiled.

"Are we- officially..?" She clarified.

"Yes." I nodded.

"We're engaged?" Her excitement was nearly bursting out of her.

"Yes. But you should know that I am already completely booked with the bride to be weddings and planning Nicki's wedding. So we can either go extremely small, or you can have pretty much complete jurisdiction and control over wedding planning, or we hold off the whole marriage-wedding thing until after the other weddings." I warned.

"Do you have a preference?" She leaned over me again.

"I am going to be completely honest with you, wedding planning is emotionally and mentally draining. So if it is something that you are willing to take on, I will gladly step back from it. But if not, I would never just leave you to drown in the stress of it all, and will also gladly help you."

"You're about to think I'm crazy."

"I already know you're crazy. But why?"

"I kind of have a wedding book, at my parents' house and its like really detailed and colorful and organized." She bit her lip, "And if it makes you feel any better, I can have my friends and sisters help with the planning and stuff. They've been waiting for ever to do so."

"That works out perfectly."

"Really? You're not freaked out that i already have so much thought out?"

"I'm relieved! And really excited to see what all these plans are. I know I said I didnt want to plan, but I do want to see this infamous book at least once." I smiled.

She kissed me again, "so once we decide on the budget, and I get the book from my parents and contact whoever I'm gonna use to help me.. we'll be set."

"The budget is the least of your worries. I want you to plan the wedding of your dreams. If you can promise me that every detail will be exactly how you imagine it, then I can and will make sure there's more than enough money for you to make it happen."

"You have to have some sort of cap for it."

"Nope."

"Ballpark?"

"You want to have the wedding in a ballpark?" I teased.

"Lydia,"

"Oh and I'm totally okay with you buying the dresses, but I swear if you get them made, altered or anything like that from some other seamstress, I will divorce you before we leave for our honeymoon."

"Are you offering to custom make my dress?"

"That depends.. since I'm not a groom, is it still bad luck for me to see your dress before the wedding?"

"Perks of being gay?" She shrugged, barely holding in her laugh.

"Okay, well you're super giddy which means you should let Nic back in the room and you might as well share the news with her." I tapped her hands.

"Oh right. Completely forgot she was waiting for us." She got up and went to the door returning with Nic who had a cup tray with two hot beverages and a ice water.

"Coffee for Anita, water for Lydia and decaf herbal tea with honey and lemon for me- doctor recommended" she distributed the drinks. "Its been over an hour did you two fuck or something?"

"In a hospital bed?" I scrunched my nose.

She giggled and sipped her tea.

"Anita wants to talk to you." I told her.

"Its more of a riddle."

Nic cocked an eyebrow at us, "a riddle?"

"What does everyone in this room have in common?" Anita asked.

"What?"

"We're all engaged." Anita practically squealed.

"Really?" Nic covered her mouth, "Im so happy for you guys!"

--

Qotd: are we here for the Anita X Lydia wedding?

I've been working MAD hard on this chapter, hope you guys love it

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

34.6K 2.4K 11
And we ain't too high To see eye to eye Know you feel the rush From a simple touch, baby Roll some mo - Beyoncé is running far away from something un...
90K 3.2K 71
Onika Tanya Maraj some call her Nicki,falls in love with a boy very different from her kind named Aubrey Drake Graham.But do they believe they could...
190K 8.8K 33
It's a mafia BeyNika story, I don't have a description just yet so give it time. This story has g!p _________________ (COMPLETED/will be EDITING SHOR...
22.8K 1K 56
Madison Barnes, a world-renowned singer at the peak of her career, and Kian Shepard, a dedicated First Lieutenant in the Marine Corps, two best frien...