Life Under the Hood

By FanOfFandomz

Happily Ever After Lucy Quinn gained her happily ever after by marrying the man of her dreams, the one and o... More

Before We Begin
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28

Chapter 16

437 13 4
By FanOfFandomz

"Ready?" Dina ask as I step out of the car.

"Yep. Thanks for coming today." I reply.

"Are you kidding? I wouldn't have missed this for the world." She smiles.

Those words hit hard within me, and I find myself slightly saddened. Jason should be here. I wish he was here.

"Hey, it's ok." Dina comforts, walking back towards me after realizing that I'm not following her.

"I wish he was here." I mumble.

"I know." She sighs. "I wish he was here too. It would make you happy, and you deserve to be happy right now. But don't focus on him, focus on this little miracle right here." Dina bends down to acknowledge my stomach, her voice going sappy.

I giggle, forcing her back up. We share another laugh before walking through the doors of the hospital.

"So remind me again what we're looking for today." Dina says, pressing the button that will take us to third floor. It illuminates under her touch.

"We just want to make sure the baby is developing correctly. See if he or she has a strong heartbeat. That's all." I reply.

Dina and I exit the elevator, making our way through the quiet halls until we reach Dr.Leslie's suite. We push open the door, instantly greeted by the smell of medicine and many other pregnant women. They each seem to be in their own daze, completely ignoring me, but I quickly try to quiet the few that do recognize me. Jason and I haven't been too careful about hiding my pregnancy as I am still wearing tight fitting clothing despite my growing stomach, and neither of us have confirmed or denied the pregnancy rumors that we used to quickly discredit. But we didn't exactly want Gotham finding out the truth from some blabber mouth news source, not without all the facts. We plan to tell Gotham officially after I hear the results of today's appointment.

"Ah, Mrs.Todd. Here you go, love. Fill out that paperwork and the doctor will be with you in just a minute." The nurse smiles, handing me a clipboard.

I collect the papers in my hand, settling into an empty seat with Dina beside me. She pulls out her phone while I finish the paperwork and hand it back to the nurse. Dina and I sit talking quietly until my name is called.

"Lucy." Dr.Leslie smiles.

Dina and I rise from our seats, following her deeper into the office.

"How are you, dear?" Dr.Leslie ask, opening the door to the examination room.

"I'm doing well. The morning sickness has calmed down, but the migraines are still an issue." I explain, hoisting myself onto the examination table and extending my arm towards Dr.Leslie.

She nods along as she jots down my blood pressure. Then, she picks up the thermometer, sticking it under my tongue.

"And Dad still isn't with us?" Dr.Leslie notes.

"He actually just started at a new job. He's on a business trip." I explain.

"Well, I hope he will be able to join us soon." She responds. "But anyway, Lucy, you are in perfect health. Now, let's get a look at the munchkin."

I nod as the lights dim, and I lean back in the chair. Dina moves closer to me, her face bursting with excitement as she grasps my hand tightly. I smile at her, then use my other hand to bunch my shirt until it rest just beneath my chest. Dr.Leslie squirts the gel on my stomach before grabbing her wand and beginning to spread it around.

The room is silent besides the quiet hum of the screen as Dr.Leslie searches for my baby. A sudden knock at the door grabs everyone's attention, and instantly Dr.Leslie pauses her search and makes her way towards the door. Despite the fact that I'm sure the visitor will not be able to see me, I still attempt to cover myself.

Dr.Leslie cracks the door open, then takes a small step back as if she's surprised by the visitor. Hushed whispers pass between her and the person at the door. After a few more quiet words, Dr.Leslie steps back, opening the door to let the visitor in.

"Jason!" My mouth falls open in shock as my husband walks through the threshold. He smiles at me with smug eyes.

I force myself up as Jason walks towards me with the largest grin. "Hi, beautiful." He says. "Dina, hi."

Dina stands, embracing Jason, then moving over so that he can get to me. Jason leans down placing his lips softly on mine. I sigh just now realizing how much I've missed him, how much I have craved him over the past couple of weeks. Ease washes over me now that's his home, and the slight anxiety I had been feeling dissolves with just this one kiss.

"What are you doing here? I thought you would be gone for at least another week." I say as we're breaking away.

"We lost our lead, so I came back home while Artemis looks into a new one." He explains.

"I'm just glad you're here." I sigh.

"Of course. I'll always be here for you two." He pecks a kiss to my cheek.

"Jason I'm glad you're home." Dina says from the corner. "I'll let you two enjoy this. If you need me, I'll be in the waiting room."

I let out a small thank you as Dina disappears out the door, then turn to Dr.Leslie.

"Shall we continue?" She asks, extending the wand towards me.

I turn to Jason, reaching for his hand. He looks from my stomach to me and nods.

"We're ready." I confirm, leaning back yet again, my eyes ready to get a glimpse of my future.

————Time Skip————

"You've been staring at that picture for hours." I giggle.

Jason chuckles, his chest rumbling underneath me. Our feet tangle together, and I bury myself deeper in his neck.

"I can't help it. It's incredible." He replies.

I hum in response, rolling off Jason and propping myself up on my elbow. I look into his eyes with a smile.

"You want to see something even more incredible?" I ask. He nods eagerly.

I slide off the bed, walking so that I stand at the foot of it. I turn to my side before grabbing the hem of my shirt and lifting it a bit. I bring my hand down to rest beneath my newly formed bump. I smile at the small growth.

"You're starting to show?" Jason jumps up, rushing to me. His hands reach out, settling gently on my slightly protruding stomach.

"Cass noticed last week during early morning training." I explain.

"You're still training?" Jason looks at me startled and concern.

"No, no," I soothe him, "I was updating some of Bruce's files."

"Good. I don't want you doing anything to strenuous. I need both of you to stay safe and healthy." Jason places his sturdy hands on my bump, running his thumbs methodically up and down.

"You heard Dr.Leslie. We're both perfectly fine." I smile.

"I guess I have Stephanie to thank for that." Jason jokes.

"Along with others." I tease before leading Jason back to bed.

We fall into the mattress, immediately resuming our previous position. We sit in silence, enjoying each other's presence after missing it for weeks. I nuzzle against Jason's neck, breathing in his familiar and comforting scent.

"How long do we get to do this?" I whisper.

Jason signs above me, lacing our hands together and placing them his stomach.

"I don't know. A couple of days, a week at the most." He answers.

"Then let's make the most of this time." I smile.

Jason smiles, wrapping his fingers in my hair and pulling me to him. He kisses me sweetly, squeezing me to his chest. I giggle as he digs his fingers into my sides, causing Jason to chuckle against my lips.

"I hope she gets your laugh." He whispers.

'"How do you know its a girl?" I smirk, my eyebrows raising.

"Father's intuition." He shrugs.

I laugh, placing my lips back on his. We settle back down a few minutes later, both of us staring intently at the ceiling. We lay silence, our minds on nothing in particular. The silence builds for moments before it's finally broken.

"Would you be mad if I said I wanted to go on patrol?" Jason turns to me.

I shift my gaze to him, staring at him before bursting with laughter. "Only if you don't get mad when I tell you I really want to be watching the monitor right now."

Jason chuckles as we both spring from our position on the bed and rush down to the cave. I place myself in front of the large computer while he prepares himself to go out into the streets.

I kiss Jason once more before placing his hood on his head, hiding his identity for the next couple of hours. "Be safe." I smile.

"I will. I'll see you in the morning." He replies.

"I love you." I whisper.

Jason starts his motorcycle, turning to me as the eyes in his helmet illuminate. "I love you, too."

With that, he speeds out of the cave and into the city. I smile after him, placing a hand on my stomach and heading for the monitor. I feel at peace as I lower myself into the large chair. Kat smiles from beside me, welcoming me to tonight's patrol and showing me the footage coming in from Barbara's and Cassandra's cameras.

It's behind these monitors that I get a taste of the satisfaction and relief Jason feels while out in the field. This is my reminder as to why he joined the new team. I run my fingers underneath my shirt and along my growing stomach. That is my reminder for why we do this. My reminder for why we fight, for why Jason fights. Sitting here with this life inside of me reminds me that I can't be mad at Jason for what he's doing. He's only doing it to ensure that both the baby and I are safe. I have to keep supporting him.

"I love you." I whisper, giving my stomach one last gentle rub before getting to work.

—————————-
These endings get sappier and sappier

Hello everyone,
First of all, I would like to start by acknowledging the consistent updates. I'm so happy I have been able to write and don't have to leave you all waiting almost two months for an update. I hope to keep this up. And second of all, I don't have a second point. I swear these used to be more interesting. Anyway, I would like to extend my thanks yet again to all of you. You have no idea how much your support means to me. I genuinely hope you are all enjoying the story, and I hope it is bringing you as much joy as it brings me. Finally, I hope that you all are staying safe and healthy.

Until next time

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

193K 6.7K 49
Damian and Jason al Ghul grew up in isolation away from the rest of the world, the only company they had was each other and occasionally their mother...
50.3K 1.7K 16
Three years. It's been three years since the death of Dick Wayne, and Renegade. The city lost a hero. Bruce Wayne lost a son. Jason, Tim, Damian they...
25K 1.1K 15
When a run-in with the League of Shadows causes Dick Grayson to lose both his memory and his ability to speak, his brother Damian leaves his team and...
719K 19.6K 31
- After the Giant War Percy has to go live with her brother in Gotham. Only problem is, her brother is Jason Todd A.K.A The Red Hood --{Highest Rank...