Daevas -I- ✔️

By -S-N-O-

Mouths lie, but blood does not. Ari confronts this profound truth as a holy war between humans and demons eru... More

*************
Chapter 1.1: Perchance a Demon
Chapter 1.2: Honey and Mead
Chapter 1.3: Apples
Chapter 2: Name
Chapter 2.1: Left Behind
Chapter 2.2: Lies
Chapter 3: Lessons
Chapter 3.1: Ignorance
Chapter 3.2: Taint
Chapter 3.3: Knowledge
Chapter 4: Sacrilegious
Chapter 4.1: Lust
Chapter 4.2: Astray
Chapter 4.3: Trespass
Chapter 4.4: Desecration
Chapter 5: Curiosity
Chapter 5.1: Wonderment
Chapter 5.2: Marks
Chapter 6: Journey
Chapter 6.1: Erroneous
Chapter 6.2: Touch
Chapter 6.3: Blond Beauty
Chapter 6.4: Dark Night
Chapter: 6.5 Distance
Chapter 7: Discovery
Chapter 7.1: Sin
Chapter 7.2: Desire
Chapter 7.3: Loss
Chapter 7.4: Love
Chapter 7.5: Lost
Chapter 8: Rumination
Chapter 8.1: Doubt
Chapter 8.2: Intimacy
Chapter 8.3: Longing
Chapter 9: Enigma
Chapter 9.1: Forgotten
Chapter 9.2: Recollections
Chapter 9.3: Ardor
Chapter 9.4: Envelop
Chapter 9.5: Revelations
Chapter 9.6: Revelations II
Chapter 10: Maelstrom
Chapter 10.1: Missing Pieces
Chapter 10.2: Ultimatum
Chapter 10.3: Darkness
Chapter 10.4: Judgment
Chapter 11: Twilight
Chapter 11.1: Clandestine
Chapter 11.2: Shadows and Whispers
Chapter 11.3: Poison
Chapter 11.4: Deceit
Chapter 11.5: Blood Ties
Chapter 12: Truth Be Told
Chapter 12.1: Two Sides
Chapter 12.2: Stories & Stars
Chapter 12.3: Hypocrite
Chapter 12.4: Liar
Chapter 12.5: Choice
Chapter 13: Tick-tock
Chapter 13.1: Undone
Chapter 13.2: Reason
Chapter 13.3: Friend
Chapter 13.4: Resolve
Chapter 14: The Greats
Chapter 14.1: Unmasked
Chapter 14.2: Labyrinth
Chapter 14.3: Memories
Chapter 14.4: Remembrance
Chapter 15: True Self
Chapter 15.1: Ensnared
Chapter 15.2: Starry Night
Chapter 15.3: Frustration
Chapter 15.4: Promise
Chapter 16: Harun
Chapter 16.1: Temptation
Chapter 16.2: Only if for a Night
Chapter 16.3: Requited
Chapter 16.4: Ties That Bond Us
Chapter 17: Home
Chapter 17.1: Demon Town
Chapter 17.3: Trick or Treat
Chapter 17.4: Deviant
Chapter 17.5: Beguiling Devil
Chapter 18: Trial by Fire
Chapter 18.1: Fever
Chapter 18.2: Scabs
Chapter 18.3: Scars
*Daevari -II-*

Chapter 17.2: Reciprocity

1.2K 93 33
By -S-N-O-

Ari crept through the town. The more he travelled inward the more reluctance grew to go farther. He was becoming anxious, but it was far too late to turn back now. He had to see if Rein or Freir were nearby even though he knew the odds were slim. Even if they were not he wanted to gather more information, so he would not be leading Kaval and himself blindly into whatever they were going towards. 

Back alleyways and narrow streets that he could get lost in were everywhere he turned. Some were speckled with a pair of women or men enjoying themselves with one another. Others harbored more illicit dealings that Ari turned a blind eye to not wanting to know. He did not know where to begin searching in such a large, densely populated town. He had never been in one like this before. 

The mannerisms of the town was different from what Ari had ever seen. They were dressed differently and spoke with strange accents he never heard before. Even the fleeting smell of food smelled tantalizing but different. He did not know a town like this could exist. Had Nolan truly tucked him away from the world to serve no greater purpose than to be at his every whim and mercy? The more he thought on that the greater his determination grew to see this through to the end. 

As he made his way through the boisterous streets, light fled from the sky. The remaining bits of sun sank away into the horizon, casting darkness across the town if it were not there already. Ari's vision suffered. His vision at night was close to non-existent. However, there were torches posted on nearby buildings. He followed them along with the laughter of raucous men growing closer. They passed him by without sparing him a glance, which he was thankful for. He slithered in between them and into the bolstering streets illuminated by dim red lights. 

Women were draped across balconies beckoning to the women and men below to pay visit. Ari gazed into one of their eyes and blushed. Half clothed and breasts bared to the world for all to see. One traced her hand along her bare skin and arched her back as if put on display. When his eyes landed on one of the women with a beautiful face, he turned his head and kept it lowered. Never in his life had he seen a woman as pretty as the ones he was seeing now. To be honest, he never seen much women dressed in women's clothes with painted faces. The Khaeo forbade such things. They would say women with painted faces and luxurious clothing were tempestuous beasts that would stray them away from the path of righteousness. 

He rose his head and looked again out of curiosity. Her hair was the color of fire and eyes a deep gray that called—demanded his attention.  She gazed into his eyes and gave him a soft smile that stretched up to her cheeks. Ari blinked and looked again only to see her with a lustful gaze focused on someone else. 

The people felt odd. Ari could not explain it well. He rolled his shoulders and shook his head. They looked normal enough, but something was just not right. He moved through the throngs of people until he found himself lost in the crowd and noise. That feeling once scared him, but now gave him more comfort than anything. Here, what he was did not matter. No one cared. He was just another face— another person going through the motions of life. Soon Ari was out of the red lighted streets and back onto the less busy area of the town. 

"You. You right there! Stop!" a man shouted. Ari turned his attention towards the man dripping with sweat and anger as another man dashed right past him with a handful of bread. Ari wanted to help, but he did not want to stand out. He had to blend in so as to not cause any more necessary trouble for Kaval. 

The man wiped the sweat from his brow and huffed, kicking nearby stones as he did. He was a tall and burly man with sharp striking features. His arms and face was an assortment of scars and burns. He looked more like a soldier of the Khaeo than a baker.  

The onlookers disbursed after a couple of seconds leaving Ari and the angry man alone. He gave Ari a fleeting glance before walking back inside his store. However, he stopped and took another long look at Ari. 

"You... You hungry?" the man said, scratching his salt and pepper speckled scruff. 

Ari only stared at him in silence. Why was he so irate? It was only bread. He could make more.

"Do not just stand there and stare, boy. Come in if you are. And do not look at me like that. Pluck them eyes out, I will." The man rolled his shoulders and went back inside grumbling unintelligible words under his breath.  Dough fell off his pants as well as bits and pieces in his black hair. 

What a strange man. At first glance, he did not seem like a baker. Perhaps, he was once part of the Khaeo but became a deserter. It was not rare and happened on occasion. Ra was one and now... Now he was one as well. 

Ari followed him inside and was greeted with the smell of fresh loaves of breads, sweet buns, and meat pies. He did not realize it was already winter and the seasonal food had changed. So much had happened, he hardly realized the seasons changing. 

"Want some?" the man's voice brought him out of his thoughts. "the sweet bread. Do you want one?"

Ari licked his lips and shook his head no. He was indeed hungry but not for human food. He no longer desired that. What he wanted was more viscous and red. 

"You a mute or somethin'?"

"...No," Ari mumbled. 

"Then use your words." The man slammed a bag of flour on a wooden table and glared at Ari. "Closed mouths don't get fed. You want somethin' you say somethin'." 

The man was on the same level as Rein with the way he spoke to him.

"Go on and grab somethin'. You need to put more meat on those bones of yours." The man came towards him and pulled back the overgrown hairs in front of his face. It took Ari by surprise. He grabbed the man's wrist, but stopped there once he saw the somber expression coating the baker's face. 

The man had similar gray eyes as him. His hair was as dark as his as well, but Ari knew for certain he was no demon. He was human. So why was he looking at him like that and being somewhat kind to him? He was stranger and still he let him into his shop.  

He pushed Ari away and sniffed. "Do something with that hair. Cleanliness brings you closer to the gods."

Ari knew for certain then he was a part of the Khaeo.  

"I know this, but I was traveling."

"By yourself?"

"No."

"Here is not a place to travel, boy. Go back to where you came from and do not come back. This town will eat you whole, bones and all." 

Ari grabbed a small piece of bread and sat at a little table in the back. The baker was being kind in an odd sort of way and Ari wanted to be to accept his kindness as best he could. There were only places for two. Someone else must live with him. Maybe a partner?

As he looked around he noticed the shop was much larger as you went further in. There was even an upstairs with beautiful banisters carved from mahogany. Fresh flowers sat in vases. Portraits of waterfalls and the setting sun hung on the creme walls. The rugs were a deep red and looked well-kept. It did not suit the baker.  

Ari turned his attention back to the man now storming his way. "Do you still pray to the gods?" He nibbled on the piece of bread as he waited for his reply. 

"No. Never have. Never will."

"Why?"

"Damned demons is what they are!" Ari nibbled some more and said nothing. "But there is one far worse lurking in this town. Worse than any I have known so far." 

The man sank his fingers into the wood of the table and sighed. He was bigger than Freir. Veins protruded from his upper arms. He knew his way with a sword. A large broadsword, Ari gathered from the callouses on his hands and the size of his arms. 

"Are you a part of the Khaeo?" Ari said. 

"No," the man said as he spat in a tin cup. "Was. Still am in a sort." 

"A demon hunter then? One sanctioned by the order." 

The man's eyes were lit with surprise. He gave Ari a big grin and shook his shoulder with a strong hand. "Did not take you for a religious zealot."

"Did not take you for a baker."

The man laughed as Ari smiled. 

"What has good, pious righteous Nolan assigned you all this time, hm?" The sarcasm and dislike poured from his mouth. "This is my domain. No Sanclii are allowed here without my notice first." 

"I am looking for two people— Freir and Rein."

The man chortled. "Those bastards still alive. Gods be damned! Haven't seen 'em, but I'd be happy to." He grabbed the other chair and sat it close to where Ari was. 

"I knew you had a look about ye'. Deserter, aye?"

Ari nodded. 

"I am in good company then." He took a hand through his hair again and ruffled it. The man was like Rein with the way he spoke but his actions reminded him much of Freir. Thinking about him made his heart twist in his chest. He missed him dearly. 

"Go on and get going if you are through. I need to hurry with a special dinner order."

Ari rose and headed for the door. When his hand was on the door, Ari turned around to get one last look at the man. 

 "Sascha is my name. If you are in trouble, come find me. It is the least I could do for Rein. Just showing a little reciprocity. Nothing more."

Ari gave a strong nod and headed out the door back into the emptying streets. Something pricked the back of his arm. He turned around and felt another prick on his neck. After a few moments, his world began swimming and blurring into a sea of colors. He held his head trying to level himself, but it did not help. His knees sank into the ground. In the next moment his world was swallowed by darkness. 

                                                                              X                          X

Ari woke to the pleasant sound of melodious humming. It stopped after he opened his eyes. He rubbed them as they adjusting to the dimness of the room. They burned and became watery after a couple seconds. 

"Look at you, sleeping so peacefully in a place unknown to you." 

Ari snapped his head to where the voice came from. He recognized it from somewhere, but he could not place where. His head was filled with fog. 

As his vision focused, he sank back into the bed more with a blush threatening to etch its way to the surface. The woman from before, but the voice did not match. They sounded more... male than female. Ari furrowed his brows in thought for a moment. 

"Valy did say you have trouble staying still." They twirled around their long, fiery red hair and tapped their bare feet against the shiny wooden floorboards. "Quite the little adventurer." 

"You, from before." Ari did not bother to hide his distaste of the person. That was why the voice sounded familiar. He was that person who made it quite clear that they wanted something that was his. Kaval was his. 

"You has a name. I can gladly give it to you if you wish it."  The more they tapped their feet the more the flower embroidered robe sank off their shoulders. They did not pay it much mind, but Ari could not help but notice and turned his head away as if disinterested. 

"I do not care to know." 

The person chuckled and stopped tapping their feet. "Did I do something to offend you somehow?" They stared deep into his eyes. Their dark grey eyes were both threatening and alluring all at once. It was a gaze Ari was quite familiar with and grew fond of. A gaze that Ari loved receiving from Auovin. 

"Oh, was it from before? They dragged their finger down their lips and smirked. "Forgive me about that." 

"What do you want? Were you not supposed to be with Kaval? Where is he?" Ari said, doing away with whatever reluctance he had. 

"One question at a time. One at a time." They wagged their finger and fixed their posture. 

Ari rose and glared into their pretty eyes. More of their body was uncovered allowing Ari to take an eyeful of them. They had a man's body, but the face... Such a pretty face like a woman. Ari never had much interest in women, human or demon, and did not think he ever would. He admired their beauty was all. Nothing more would come from it. 

"Valy is probably taking his fill of blood right now."

"... I see."

"His pallor was quite pale."

"I know. We were—"

 Why are you not caring for him properly?"

"You do not know the situation, so do not go on and assume something you know nothing about."

 Nis ignored him and said,"he is quite invaluable. You do know this? What a feat it is to have someone like him by your side?"

"Kaval is dear to me no matter his perceived worth or value he is to you," Ari said with a bite.

 "I am sure he would quench this insatiable thirst in my throat." They brushed their finger down their throat in the same manner the women did on the balconies."If only he would allow it." 

"Alas," they sighed, "he seems smitten with you. I cannot say he is wrong." They tilted their head and smiled. "A daeva is hard to come by." 

Ari's eyes grew wide. He licked his lips and crumpled his hands into fists hoping to mask his unease. 

"You are young and know nothing of this world. Or yourself. But I can teach you. I can show you the world as it is, and it what it could be if you want it."

"Teach me? Teach me what?"

"Are you curious?"

Ari frowned. "You cannot teach me anything Kaval cannot or anyone else for the matter. I have learned that the things I want to learn I must learn myself."

"Is that what you think?" Nis laughed. "Well, let me enlighten you then." 

Nis leaned towards Ari and pulled him closer by the hem of his pants. "I know of the insatiable thirst you feel in your throat. How you take too much from others and seemingly cannot help it. I know of the bloodlust you feel that keeps growing by the minute... Soon the lesser demons will not be enough for you. You will want more." 

The room darkened as Nis inched closer. "And you are in search of someone."

"No, I am not."

"Why bother with that demon when he obviously does not want to be found?" 

"That is not who I am searching for."

Nis grinned. "Is that so?" 

Ari grabbed his hand and squeezed it tight into his hand before flinging it away from himself. 

"Vin is someone who is a bit of a romantic, but that is all. You should not want anything from him after that. I am a man like him. I should know."

"I did not ask for your advice." Ari glared. No matter how far he went, Auovin's name was spread far and wide. Not a single person spoke of any good he had done, which would have troubled Ari before but not now. Ari knew him very well for what he was. 

"I am like you. I am like him. Perhaps... more like him than you."

Ari continued to look at him with a lessened glare at their words and what those words could mean. He did not want to assume, so he thought to inquire further. Ari moved closer and mumbled, "what do you mean by those words?"

"What do you think I mean by those words?" Nis laughed and beckoned Ari closer. "If you would like to know, tell me your name." 

Ari looked at him with distrust.

"My name is Nis. You have heard of me and had said a variation of my name many times in your life, I am sure." 

"But it is not your true name."

"Well, you know that much. That is a good sign. And why would I give you mine when you are not willing to give me yours?"

Ari turned his head away from him, but Nis turned his head back. "Let me sweeten the deal then... You would like to know who Harun is. Well, the man who has posed as him."

Ari's eyes widened. 

"And I can tell you. I can tell you everything. Just give me your name." 

Ari backed away from him. 

His smile morphed into a wicked grin then. "All I am asking for is a little reciprocity." 

____________________________________________

[A/N] 

Hey All, 

I know it has been a hot minute. But I finally was able to get this chapter out! 

Ari is meeting all sorts of characters and he's gotten himself in quite a pickle with Nis. Kaval did not want Ari around him possibly for that reason alone. But Ari just doesn't like to listen sometimes. 

Sascha is an interesting character as well as Nis. Nis is quite fun to write honestly. What do y'all think about them? Leave me your thoughts~ ❤️

❤️❤️❤️ Thank you all for waiting for this book to update. You know I wouldn't leave y'all hanging like that. ❤️❤️❤️

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

247K 16.4K 31
When Ari touches a cursed artifact and becomes possessed by a powerful spell, he must find a way to control it or risk losing himself and the half-va...
38.4K 2.6K 38
Earth is a paradise by day and a wasteland at night. Angels and demons visit during daytime but don't coexist peacefully, at least not until Ariel an...
102K 6.3K 36
The mortal world has fallen into chaos, and death reigns under Demon Queen Blethinette's rule. Mundus, Erian, and Cerus stand by her side along with...
552 49 40
Alistair's being plagued by dreams about a certain creature. And someone who could be his Grandmother, but no, she died. He lives in a town called Mi...