Life Under the Hood

By FanOfFandomz

Happily Ever After Lucy Quinn gained her happily ever after by marrying the man of her dreams, the one and o... More

Before We Begin
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28

Chapter 9

593 15 15
By FanOfFandomz

Weeks Later

I cough violently as I expel another mouthful of last night's dinner into the toilet bowl below. My hands grip at the sides of the porcelain object as I try to stabilize my shaking body. I sit back on my knees, bringing a hand up to wipe my mouth. My head spins, and I lean against the wall to stop the dizziness.

I sit for a moment, catching my breath. I press my fingers to my temple, forcing the sick feeling to go away.

"Lucy?" Jason's voice forces me to my feet.

I jump up, shutting the toilet lid and flushing away my dinner. I run towards the sink and quickly grab my toothbrush. I squirt some minty toothpaste onto the head then stick it in my mouth before unlocking the bathroom door. Jason instantly makes his way inside, his face confused and concerned.

"What's with the door? You never lock it." He asks.

"Oh, uh, I didn't realize it was locked." I respond, not wanting to tell him that I'd just spent the last half hour throwing up everything in my stomach.

Jason raises a skeptical eyebrow, but his expression quickly dissolves into one of concern. He takes a step towards me, and I nearly back away.

"Are you alright? You look paler than usual. Are you sick?" He reaches for me, using his fingers to raise my face to his.

I allow him to look me over for a few seconds before I pull back and continue brushing my teeth.

"I'm fine." I lie. "I got my period this morning. I'm feeling a little off, that's all."

Jason nods sympathetically, then presses a kiss to my forehead.

"I wish I could stay with you, spoil you all day, but I have something to do down at the Pier." He says, and it's then that I notice Jason is fully dressed and his hair is gelled up.

"The Pier?" I question, referring to the iconic criminal zone located on the harbor of Gotham City. Everything illegal takes place at the Pier. Gang leaders, petty criminals, and even rogues as big as my mother and father conducted business at the Pier. It's the one place in Gotham GCPD refuses to go. "Do you need me to come with you?"

Despite the Pier's brutal reputation, Jason and I had been warmly welcomed. As the the daughter of Harley Quinn and the Joker, I'm expected to take over the Gotham underground sooner or later. I am treated as royalty at the Pier, no one dares to defy me. Jason stumbled upon the place years ago when he was young, spending a lot of his street rat days there. Once he returned to Gotham, after spending time with the League of Assassins and then the Outlaws, Jason centered himself at the Pier and grew to be one of the largest crime bosses in Gotham, second only to Black Mask. Over the past couple of months, Jason had expressed interest in trying to regain that position, and attempt to heal Gotham by slowly dissolving its crime from the inside. Since I'm expected to take over the underground eventually, I found the idea good. Together, Jason and I could control all crime within Gotham and work to end it. Whenever Jason has a meeting down at the the Pier, I usually accompany him.

"No, no, not today. Besides, you don't feel well. You stay here and get some rest, and I'll brief you on the information later." Jason begins to back out of the bathroom, and I can't help but feel as though he is hiding something from me. I follow him into our bedroom.

"It's no problem. I don't feel that bad. I'll be ok." I say, trying to convince my husband to let me come along.

Jason chuckles slightly and walks back to me. He brings his hands up to frame my face and plants a loving kiss in my lips.

"Rest. I promise I won't make any rash decisions without consulting you first." He smiles.

I sigh in defeat and nod, causing Jason to chuckle slightly. He gives me one more peck on the forehead before he heads for his nightstand. I watch as he grabs his phone, stuffing it in his back pocket along with a small pistol. He then reaches for a cigarette, lighting it before he makes his way to the door. The smoke from the lit bud only makes me more nauseous, yet I force a weak smile onto my face as I watch my husband disappear out our bedroom door. As soon as he's gone, I throw open the balcony doors to avoid being sick again.

Afterwards, I rush to finish getting ready for the day. I pull on a pair of jeans and an oversized cardigan before running a hand through my hair, then I take off down the hall. I nearly throw myself through Stephanie's door, startling her.

"Lucy, what the hell? You nearly gave me a heart attack!" She exclaims, turning to me in confusion.

I don't respond. I simply stare at her, hoping my eyes are conveying what my voice cannot. To admit what I feel at this moment would be scarier than anything I've ever done in my life.

Stephanie's face softens, but she still looks perplexed. "Lucy?" She calls to me again.

I run another anxious hand through my hair, taking a deep breath before nodding towards Stephanie. I realize I must tell her what I'm sure I know.

"I think I'm pregnant." I whisper, causing her eyes to go wide.

Stephanie brings a hand to cover her shocked mouth as she stands from the bed and walks towards me. Her eyes shine hopefully as she approaches me, and I can see the edges of her mouth curl in a smile.

"Really?" She ask quietly, extending a hand towards my shoulder. I can hear the excitement oozing from her voice.

"Yes." I nod.

"You need to take a test." She orders, pulling me back towards my bedroom.

Once inside, she shuts the door behind her before nudging me towards the bathroom. I enter the bathroom and instantly lower myself to look under the sink counter. I emerge from under the counter with a box of test Roy had given me as a gag gift. Stephanie smiles encouragingly as she shuts the door, leaving me alone to discover my future.

I take a deep breath, opening the box, my hands shaking in anticipation and anxiety. I pull out two test, wondering how two small pieces of plastic could  possibly have such a monumental effect on my life. I manage to control my shaking hands and quickly take both test, leaving them on top of the sink, then exiting the bathroom.

I walk out to find Stephanie pacing the room, her nails under attack from her teeth as she chews at them. Once she notices me, she makes a beeline in my direction. I give her nervous smile and set the timer on my phone. Stephanie embraces me, then pulls me to sit on the lavish king sized bed.

"How long have you suspected?" She ask.

"A week. I wasn't sure until today." Stephanie raises an eyebrow, prompting me to go on. "I'm exhausted. I've been blaming it on the fact that I'm up all night watching the monitors, but I've also been reminding myself that I've done this for the past two years. I should be used to it. Then, there's the pain. My back, my ankles, my chest. I've been ignoring it, blaming it on the exhaustion. But after this morning, I know it can't be anything else. I've never been so sick. I still feel like throwing up. And I'm late. I'm never late." I begin rambling to myself, suddenly chastising myself for not realizing sooner. Why didn't I realize this sooner? Maybe I didn't want to. I feel as though part of me still doesn't want to.

"Lucy, Lucy." Stephanie snaps me from my daze, shaking me lightly. I turn to her with eyes I know are laced with fear and dread. Stephanie's face softens. "Oh, Lucy, it's ok. Don't be scared. Be happy. This is a good thing." She hugs me to her.

I pull away, looking into Stephanie's eyes, searching for the truth in her statement. The timer on my phone chimes, sending a jolt through me. I sit for a minute, collecting myself before standing. I hesitate in taking my first steps.

"Let's hope you're right." I give a small smile.

I walk towards the bathroom, my heartbeat increasing rapidly. I stand in front of the sink for a moment. I stare at myself in the mirror, taking a minute to really evaluate myself. This could be the last time I see myself this way. As a innocent, carefree, young woman, only responsible for herself. I take one more steadying breath before picking up the first test.

I close my eyes, turning it in my hands. I open my eyes, air instantly catches in my throat. I scramble to grab the other test, looking for the result. Once I see it, I release the clogged breath shakily.

Pregnant

Pregnant

My hands tremble as I hold the two positive test to my face. I stare at them in disbelief.

"Lucy?" Stephanie emerges beside me. I must have been standing here longer than I realized. "What do they say?"

I mouth the word multiple times, trying to find my voice. Finally, my vocal cords are able to produce sound.

"Pregnant. I'm pregnant." I say breathlessly.

Stephanie squeals beside me, rushing to throw her arms around me. I stand, frozen in disbelief as she squeezes me.

"Aren't you excited?" Steph ask once she realizes that I'm not returning her excitement.

"Yes?" I answer unsure, my attention returning to the positive tests.

"What's wrong?" She questions.

I pinch my lips together, shaking my head in disappointment. She's right I should be happy. Why am I not happy?

"I don't know. It just doesn't feel real." I mumble.

Stephanie hums in understanding, going silent as her face twist in a pondering expression. Suddenly, her face illuminates as a large smile spreads across it.

"Come on." She says, snatching the test up and dragging me out of the bathroom.

"Where are we going?" I ask.

Stephanie shoves a pair of shoes and my bag into my hands before shoving her phone in her pocket.

"To make it real." She smirks, pulling me from the room.

—————Time Skip————

I sit in the examination room, surrounded by multiple pictures of glowing women and chubby babies. My fingers twist together anxiously, and I find myself twirling my engagement ring around my finger. Stephanie sits beside me, humming softly. My head seems to spin with the events of today. I still haven't fully processed any of it.

Stephanie and I continue to sit in silence until the doctor reappears, bringing us both to sit at attention.

"Well, Mrs.Todd, let me first start by saying that you are in perfect health. Your vitals, blood pressure, heart rate, and more all seem to be working properly." I release a breath I didn't even realize I was holding, smiling at the news. "As for your other test results. They all came back positive. Congratulations, Mrs.Todd, you're pregnant!"

Stephanie lets out a squeal in excitement, and even I can't help but crack a smile. However, I still feel unsure. It doesn't seem true.

"Dr.Leslie, is there anyway we could see the baby?" Steph asks excitedly. The idea makes my heart beat faster.

Dr.Leslie smiles towards Stephanie, then turns to make eye contact with me. We stare into each other's eyes and I can tell she can see the obvious fear dulling my normal bright eyes.

"Yes, at this stage in the pregnancy, we are able to see the fetus. I can do an ultrasound if you would like?" She sends me a comforting smile.

I nod absentmindedly. As much as the idea of seeing the life within me scares me, I know it must be done. Maybe it will finally convince me that this is in fact reality.

Dr.Leslie gives a sound nod, nudging me back on the table while pulling her equipment to her side. Stephanie settles back in the chair as I lay back on the table. I fold my hands over my stomach, puckering my lips as I release a scared huff. My lips then crease into a tight line.

"Lucy," Dr.Leslie grabs my attention, "if you could please lift your shirt for me?" I hesitantly comply, lifting my shirt and letting it rest underneath my chest. "Don't worry, love." Dr.Leslie whispers encouragingly as she squirts the aqua sonic gel on my stomach.

I flinch at the cold, sticky gel. Dr.Leslie then takes the ultrasound wand and uses it smear the gel around my abdomen. The TV screen instantly takes on the image of the inside of my stomach. I can't help but turn away terrified and doubtful.

Part of me wants this to be true. Part me doesn't want it to be true. Another part of me can't accept the truth, but that same part wants to.

The room is silent for minutes, causing my anxiety to rise steadily. Suddenly, the rhythmic sound that can only be identified as a heartbeat, begins to vibrate off the walls

My eyes instantly fill with tears, and I whip my head around to stare at the screen. In this moment, it clicks. I stare in awe at the screen, listening intently to the heart that is currently beating from inside me. I can't help but notice how each beat of its heart is matched by a beat of mine. It's in this moment that I realize I will do anything and everything for this tiny life, that I love it more than anything in the world, despite never having met it.

"It's real." I mumble quietly.

Dr.Leslie turns from the screen to me and smiles.

"Oh, look at that." Stephanie leans over me to get a better glimpse. I can hear her voice tighten as she talks of her tiny niece or nephew.

"That is your baby. Everything looks perfect. You are right on track for 8 weeks." Dr.Leslie explains.

I nod, my eyes still glued to the screen as it displays a tiny dot that is my son or daughter. I continue to watch the screen for several minutes before Dr.Leslie finally turns it off, handing me a paper towel to wipe the gel off my stomach. She leaves the room, promising to bring back information as well as vitamins and pictures. I thank her gratefully as I sit up.

Once she leaves, I turn to Stephanie and begin giggling, tears still in my eyes. She laughs as well, reaching her hands out to wipe the tears off my face.

"Are you happy now? Is it real?" She ask through chuckles.

"Yes." I nod. "Very real."

We sit in laughter until Dr.Leslie reemerges, her arms filled with multiple objects. She quickly explains each pamphlet to me before going over the procedure for the prenatal vitamins. Afterwards, she hands me several copies of pictures, and I can't help but scan over each one excitedly.

"I will see you again next month for your 12 week scan." Dr. Leslie says as Stephanie and I exit the examination room and head towards the front of the office. I thank her one more time.

Stephanie and I walk quietly towards the parking lot, setting sunglasses over our faces in attempt not to be recognized. Once back in the car, we share one more happy glance before we pull out and make our way back home.

As we drive in silence, I can't help but place a light hand over my abdomen, thinking of how in a few short months it will be the size of a watermelon. I smile as I think of how every week, every day, the tiny life Jason and I created grows stronger and healthier, and how it will be here before I know it. I suddenly feel an overwhelming want to hold this baby, to show them just how much I love them, but I know that will have to wait.

I glance down at my currently flat stomach and smile while running a hand over my t-shirt. 

"You're real. I'm pregnant." I whisper. This time I actually believe it.

—————————-
I am now accepting bets on the baby's gender and name

Hello Everyone! Happy Valentine's Day❤️ I hope you like the gift I got you. I know we all have been waiting a long time for this day, and it's finally here! I have been so absolutely dying to share this chapter, and I hope you all enjoy reading it and much as I enjoyed writing it. Now, for the boring, routine reminders. First, as you know I don't have a regular updating schedule. I do however have time off school. Hopefully, I can get a few chapters out before I go back. Second, I know I'm saying this for the millionth time, but thank you all so much from the bottom of my heart. This may sound redundant, but I am 100% serious when I say that your reads, votes, comments, and messages mean everything to me. They inspire me and keep me writing. Your enthusiasm makes me so excited and grateful. So thank you all. I love each and every one of you❤️❤️

Until next time

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

175K 6.4K 58
Athena Thomas has been gone for nearly two years. When her and Dick Grayson last saw each other, she was leaving and taking his heart with her. But w...
24.9K 1.1K 15
When a run-in with the League of Shadows causes Dick Grayson to lose both his memory and his ability to speak, his brother Damian leaves his team and...
35.8K 1.1K 10
It all started with a picture. While in Wayne Manor, Jason finds the family portrait, everyone was in it. Everyone except Jason. Throughout this sto...
45.7K 1.5K 23
Love may seem like a really complicated term depending on the person who seeks it. It can be pretty like a scene from a fairytale, but it can be the...