Daughter of Mortis

Oleh LeeraIvy

Ania Bonteri, a young Togruta female, is a mercenary for the Galatic Empire, and right hand to Darth Vader hi... Lebih Banyak

Book 1
Mercenary
Visions
The Hunt
Forgotten
Clues
Ahsoka
Unhinged
Lies or Truth
Escape
Interrogation
Hidden Temple
The Lower City
Feton Ralius
Freedom's Dance
You're a Rebel Now
First Mission
One Moment
The Revolution
A New Destination
Coaxium Caper
Control
Mysteries of the Senate
Fate of Lothal
Captured
Resolution
Book 2
Deal With A Devil
Rescued
Riddles of the Bendu
Narrow Escape
Strengthening Connections
Old Contacts
Set Up
Deadly Promises
Shadowed Minds
Kenobi
A Master's Teachings
The Search Begins
Den of the Rancor
Wisdom and Warnings
Trials and Triumphs
Sacrifice
Wolf Call
Searching for the Lost
The Beginning
Released
Broken Minds
A Temporary Peace
Confrontation
Rising Darkness
Nightmare
Broken Chains
Last Goodbye
Thank You!
No Mercy
The Hunter and His Prey (1)
Enemies and Trust (2)
Dancing Hearts (3)
Promises (4)
Stolen Thoughts (5)

The Temple's Test

663 24 11
Oleh LeeraIvy

A few months had passed since Ezra and Ania returned from Corellia, a new ship in tow. The Rigger Class, now named Redemption, had proven a popular catch with the Rebels. As were the A-Wings Sabine had flown back to the planet. Hera had commissioned Ania as the leader of this new squadron and she had spent nearly every day preparing her pilots for battle.

      Soon after their return, the Rebels moved bases from Lothal to a new planet called Atollon. The planet remained unoccupied by Imperials, but flight of the new A-wings was still kept under scrutiny.

"Tolsa, tighten formation," Ania muttered into her wrist comm. They were in the middle of a training session on speeders. "Jax, loosen up. If you hit your wingman in a ship it's over before it begins." There was a string of muttered curses before Ania spotted one of the speeders loosening from the squad. "Good. Try running through the Snake Maneuver again."

    "Ania."

    She turned and spotted Kanan approaching her. "Yes?"

    "Ahsoka is here. She wants to see you."

    She looked back at the distant speeders, running through the maneuver like she had asked. "Squad, break formation. We're done for the day." Ania turned back to Kanan. "Well, let's go." She followed the Jedi back to the camp.

    Ahsoka was waiting for them just outside the base. "I hear your last mission was a success but you hit a little trouble," Ahsoka said as they drew near.

    "Nothing we couldn't handle," Ania replied. "Are we training today?"

    "Not quite." Ahsoka looked at Kanan for a moment. "Ezra told you about the Temple on Lothal, did he not?"

    Ania nodded. "I think he's mentioned it before. Why?"

    "When a Jedi reaches a certain point in their training, they are taken to a Jedi Temple for a test. If they pass the test, they are that much closer to becoming Jedi," Ahsoka explained. "I think you're ready to enter the Temple."

    Ania bit her lip. "I'm not sure. Ezra told me the Temple gave him visions of his worst fears. I don't know if I can make it out."

    "Facing your fears is the hardest part of any Jedi's training. I had to face mine when I left the Jedi Order and heard about the Purge. It will be difficult, but ultimately beneficial," Ahsoka replied. "Kanan and Ezra will accompany us. We should go now, while it's still early."

    Kanan nodded and set off in search of Ezra. Ania and Ahsoka quickly prepped Redemption for take off. Ania watched Ahsoka curiously. Her mother was moving her hands across the controls almost reverently and seemed lost in thought. "My master had a Rigger called the Twilight," Ahsoka said presently. "I have many memories of that ship." Footsteps clattered on the boarding ramp and Ania heard it hiss shut. She took her place in the pilot's seat. "Let the Force guide you to the Temple. Part of the test is being able to find it."

    Ania nodded and reached out. She let her senses roam through the Force until she reached Lothal. The Force was strong within the planet, that was certain. She passed one spot and felt a surge of energy within her. Ania quickly took off and jumped to hyperspace.

    When they emerged on Lothal, Ania expertly guided the to the location of the Temple. A giant cone shaped stone rose from the ground. Before it, several star charts were carved into the ground. "How do we get in?" Ania asked.

    "It is different for everyone. Listen to the Temple and it will tell you how," Ahsoka explained. The four of them disembarked.

    Ania climbed to the base of the Temple by herself. She placed her hand on the warm stone and let its energy speak to her. Many have come before you, young one. Many have passed through me, but several remain inside. Two must open me, a master and an apprentice.

    "My mother and I are not Jedi," Ania said softly.

    Within you, I sense another, bound to the Force for eternity. I sense a great connection between you and them. I sense a connection between you and the boy as well. Which connection is greater? That is the one that will allow you to enter the Temple.

    "The spirit of Mortis lives in me. I have summoned the Daughter before, but it was disastrous. If I do it again, I'm afraid I won't be able to hold back," Ania replied.

    Then you know which connection will prevail.

    Ania opened her eyes and slid back down. "The Temple told me it takes two to enter, a master and an apprentice. Because Ahsoka and I aren't Jedi, it won't work. I have to open the Temple with someone I am connected to through the Force." Her gaze landed on Ezra. Understanding shown in his eyes and he followed her to a large circle.

    "I don't like this," Kanan whispered to Ahsoka. "I still don't trust her."

    "You have to."

    "Why Ezra?"

    "I'm not sure but I think they know," Ahsoka replied.

    Ania stretched out her hand and was aware of Ezra doing the same. She closed her eyes and called upon the Force. It connected with her instantly, wrapping around the Jedi Temple. Another presence joined hers and she felt Ezra beside her. Together, their power twisted around the Temple, drawing it up from the ground. The Temple spiraled around until a doorway appeared at last. Ania lowered her hand and opened her eyes. Kanan and Ahsoka were already headed towards the Temple. Ezra and Ania exchanged a glance before following their masters.

    The inside of the Temple was crumbling and coated in dust. Ania almost screamed when she spotted two bodies seated in front of pillars. Ezra elbowed her. "Good job. When I saw them, I almost brought this whole Temple down."

    "Why are they here?" Ania asked.

    "Their padawans never made it through the Temple," Ahsoka replied. "When you enter, you will enter alone. Kanan, Ezra, and I will wait. Kanan and Ezra will leave at sunset. I will stay until you come back."

    "Wait, so if I don't make it out, neither do you?" Ania asked worriedly. She looked to Ezra.

    "You'll do fine," Ahsoka said.

    A doorway opened up behind them. Ania took a deep breath and stepped inside. "Wait, what am I looking for?" She called.

    "Nothing and everything," came a reply. Kanan, not Ahsoka.

    "That really doesn't help me at all!"

    "It didn't help me either but you'll do fine," Ezra called back reassuringly. The doorway sealed, shutting her off from everyone. Ania steadied her breathing and headed into the dark abyss ahead.

No sounds penetrated the tunnel she walked in. It was dead silent. Ania focused on keeping her breathing steady. If she panicked, she would surely get lost. Ahead, a red light appeared. Ania narrowed her eyes and crept closer to the light.

Ominous breathing thudded through her skull. Ania gripped her lightsaber tightly. "You have returned, my apprentice," Darth Vader's voice echoed through the cavern.

"Never!" She hissed.

"I think your answer will change very shortly."

Ania stiffened, hearing blasters and screams in the distance. They silenced all too quickly. "What was that?"

"I have disposed of your pathetic rebel friends, including Ahsoka Tano!" Vader growled. "Your only option is to join me or die!"

Ania ignited her blade. "I will never join you again!"

"So be it." Vader vanished, but his loud breathing remained.

Her surroundings began changing rapidly. She was on several planets at once, faces flashing before her. She remembered each one vividly and saw the blow that had taken their life.

"Do you really think you can ever make it up?" Someone asked.

"They will never forget!"

"You killed us!"

"All of it is your fault!"

"Look at me!"

"Look at me!"

"Look at me!"

Ania screwed her eyes shut and ran blindly. She didn't care where she was going as long as it was away from those bodies. Their screams and cries chased after her as she ran. She opened her eyes and rounded the next corner. Ania heaved a sob of relief, spotting Ezra and Ahsoka.

"Why are you here? Was that the Temple?" She asked.

"You killed all of those people?" Ezra asked.

"How could you do that?" Ahsoka glared accusingly.

"I don't understand. I thought you didn't..." she stepped closer to Ezra.

"Get away from me! You're a monster and that's all you'll ever be! I can't believe I trusted you! I was your friend! I let myself..." he trailed off, unmasked hatred glittering in his eyes.

Ania turned desperately to Ahsoka. "Please, you told me you would help me! You would never give up on me! Ahsoka..."

"Never say my name!" Ahsoka yelled. "My daughter could never have become a monster like you!"

A red lightsaber activated behind them. "Look out!" Ania cried. She struck out, but instead of pushing her friend out of the way, they collapsed to the ground. "Ezra? Ahsoka?" Ania knelt beside them. She grabbed Ezra's shoulders and shook him. "Ezra? Wake up!"

"He is not going to." Vader appeared in front of her. "This is what happens when you lose control. You cannot contain the power inside of you! You killed them, Ania! Look at them! Look at them!" He shouted.

Ania backed away, staring at her trembling hands. "No, I couldn't have!"

"Look at them!"

"I only moved them out of the way! They can't be dead!"

"Look at them!"

"That should've...it can't have..."

"Look at them!"

Ania felt tears running down her cheeks. She turned away and ran deeper into the Temple. "It's just an illusion. It's all in your head!" She sobbed, grabbing her head with her hands. She stopped and knelt down, trying to center herself. "Ahsoka said I would face my biggest fears in this temple."

She took measured breaths. "I will not be afraid," she whispered. Vader's breathing surrounded her. "I will not be afraid." A red glow tinged the gloom around her. "I will not be afraid." She saw the blade rise and fall. "I will not be afraid!" She caught the glowing blade in her hand and pushed it back into the saber. "I am not afraid of you," Ania hissed through her teeth.

A red blade plunged into Vader's back and malicious laughter echoed around her. The dark tunnel faded into an ornate throne room. "You may not be afraid of Vader," the accented voice drawled, "but I have no doubt that you are afraid of me." A cloaked figure slid into a large throne. He laughed. "Welcome, my dear. Long have I awaited your arrival, daughter of Mortis."

Ania stiffened with dread. "Who are you?"

The man laughed again. "Do you not recognize your own Emperor?"

Her eyes narrowed. "Palpatine!" She seethed.

"I have not heard that name for many years. You may call me what you like. It makes me no difference." Emperor Palpatine beckoned her with a hand. "Come, show me your lightsabers. I have heard they are quite unique."

Against her will, Ania walked closer to the Emperor. Her blades activated. "Fascinating," the Emperor said. "It is a pity that you will not be around to use them much longer."

Ania broke free of the Emperor's control and grabbed her blades. "I think you're mistaken!"

"You hold your blades like your mother. She was a fine Jedi."

"Stop talking!"

"Very well. But first, I must know something." The Emperor was instantly a breath away from her. Try as she might, Ania couldn't see the face beneath the hood. "Are you afraid of your future?" Palpatine hissed.

The throne room faded into a dark cavern. A large pronged throne rose before Ania. All around her, thousands of hooded figures sat in stone seats. They began to chant something over and over. Palpatine's laugh echoed around her.

"This is your future, daughter! The time of the Sith is approaching once again! With your life, we will resurrect the Son, the fallen Prince of Darkness!"

Ania found herself trapped between three hooded figures. They strapped her onto a stone table. One of them handed a long dagger to Palpatine. She recognized the dagger from one of her visions. Ania struggled and gasped as her hand touched something. She was not alone on that table. She slowly turned her head and saw the body of the tattooed man from her visions.

Ania screamed again and the chanting resumed. Palpatine appeared above her and raised the dagger. "With your life, the Son is reborn!"

Ania measured her breathing again. She let the Force wrap itself around her. "I will not be afraid." The dagger lifted higher. "I will not be afraid." It began to fall. "I will not be afraid." Her eyes opened and the dagger passed through her. "I will not be afraid."

The cavern faded away, leaving Ania in the Temple tunnel. "Well done, apprentice," a kind female voice whispered. "You have faced your greatest fears and have passed the test."

"What do I do now?" Ania asked.

"I have information for you. An important vote will be held in the Senate soon. A vote that will determine the fate of Lothal. This is my warning for you, apprentice."

"Thank you."

"I will lead you out of the Temple. Follow me." A flurry of golden light drifted in front of Ania. She followed it, half mesmerized by the light. Soon, they arrived at a doorway. "Here is the way out. I have one last piece of advice for you," the woman's accented voice whispered.

"Yes?"

"Do not fear who and what you are. Fear is what will destroy you."

The light disappeared and the doorway slid open. Ania stepped out and blinked, adjusting to the brightness of the chamber. She was back where they had begun. Kanan, Ahsoka, and Ezra were seated cross legged before her. Ahsoka opened her eyes as Ania approached.

Ania spotted the tears in Ahsoka's eyes. "Who was that?"

"Master Aayla Secura. She was killed during the Purge. Her murder was...brutal," Ahsoka explained. She stood and smiled. "You passed the test, Ania." Ezra grinned brightly at Ania and even Kanan gave her an approving glance.

"Master Secura told me there is an important Senate vote coming. It will determine what happens to Lothal," Ania said.

Kanan rubbed his chin thoughtfully. "Well, I guess we know what your next mission will be." Kanan and Ahsoka stepped out of the Temple together.

Ezra followed Ania out. She glanced back at the Temple as it closed. "Ezra, have you forgiven my past?"

He paused and glanced back at her. "I think so. I know you weren't entirely yourself then. You're different now. I can't explain it but..."

"I saw them. All of them. I know it was just the Temple, but still. And...you. I killed you and Ahsoka. It was an accident but..."

Ezra grabbed her shoulders. "You didn't kill us. We're right here. I don't think you could hurt us, even if you tried. Everything that happened is in the past. It's time to move on."

Ania nodded at Ezra slowly, then smiled. "You're right. Let's go. We have a vote to get to."

Lanjutkan Membaca

Kamu Akan Menyukai Ini

46.5K 851 20
Luke and Leia were about to turn four years old, and Padmé was desperate to have Anakin back. She was desperate to turn the sad & lonely Darth Vader...
14.3K 640 46
Lesia Mirri never wanted to be a Jedi. The rules of the Code didn't sit well with her restless spirit. Lesia resisted their teachings and attempted t...
1.8K 48 25
Ahsoka left the order, Anakin is devastated. What will happen when they see each other at a local diner? will Ahsoka talk to him or will she panic an...
4.4K 104 25
Hello peoples. :3 Not many people have this, so I decided to make a Star Wars Rebels oneshot request book. Here's how it works: you readers re...