Let's Hurt Tonight

By fallingheartsxx

BOOK 1 of the Let's Hurt Tonight series She was a senior in college, trying to finish her degree, when she ac... More

Intro
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
43
44
45
46
47
48
49
50
51
52
53
54
55
56
57
58
59
60
61
SEQUEL

27

21.8K 413 107
By fallingheartsxx

Amelia

It's finally almost Christmas. 

I feel like I've been saying that for a while now, but now it is legitimately almost Christmas, December 21st to be exact. And here I am, in my own worst nightmare, Christmas shopping

I have been planning on getting Harry a Christmas gift for a while now, but my plans changed slightly when I saw the gift he bestowed upon me. How can I get him something nearly as nice? What do you get someone that has everything, especially when you have no money?

"What about a shirt or something?" Emma suggests. 

I brought her and Charlie with me since James and Mikey had something to do with Mom and Dad. I think they mentioned a doctors appointment or something along those lines. All I knew was Emma and Charlie were my responsibility so I had to tow them along with me.

I wasn't planning on going shopping today for Harry's gift. I've been looking for a little while now but nothing has sparked my interest. I think I've been secretly hoping that something magical would appear and everything would fall into place, but nothing has and now I'm panicking. Harry leaves tomorrow for England and I still don't have a gift to give him. 

"I don't think a shirt will cut it," I tell Emma, thinking about all the designer bags that Harry had littered across his hotel room the first time I went over. Plus he got me a car. How do I even compete with that? "I mean it might but I want to get him something...bigger? I don't know..."

"What about a nerf gun? Or some leggos! Can I get the new pirate set?" Charlie interjects.

I huff and roll my eyes before denying his request. Leave it to him to shake me down for a present right before Christmas. I'm not surprised though. He constantly asks me for money when I go over, even though he's so young and doesn't technically need it. He'll try to bribe me or make barters, as if I wouldn't realize his little game. 

Although I give him credit for trying so occasionally I'll slip him a five dollar bill. 

I find myself growing increasingly frustrated currently with how many people are in the mall. I didn't expect anything different, but that still doesn't help the rage I feel coursing through my body. I'm especially irate when some middle-aged lady's body slams into me so she can get to a pair of shoes. It takes everything in me not to scream.

Choose love, give love. Treat people with kindness. 

I repeat those words over and over in my mind, trying to channel my inner 'Harry'. It doesn't make sense how he's so nice and it's so genuine, too. It blows my mind and warms my heart at the same time. Why does he like me? I can be cynical and rather indifferent to people's feelings at times. I'm not an awful person, I don't think, but I'm definitely not in the same realm as Harry when it comes to 'niceness'. He deserves a saint and I can only aspire to be half that. 

"Come on," I mutter to Emma and Charlie, grabbing both of their hands. "Let's go."

I lead the two of the them out of the store we are in and out to my parked car. 

My car. 

It's so weird to say that. I haven't gotten used to it, and I don't know if I ever will. 

I'm extra careful as I pull out, nervous I'll accidentally hit something. I'm a fairly decent driver but there's always a part of me that isn't confident with certain things, and of course, with a new car, it would be my luck to do something stupid. 

As I'm driving through town, debating my next move, my phone rings. Emma's quick to reach over and grab it, answering it before I even give her the 'okay' too. 

"Hello?" she answers. "Oh, hi Harry!"

My hand comes swatting across the seat quicker than I can even say 'Harry'. I frantically hit Emma's arm, trying to get the phone, but all she does it put it on speaker. 

"Harry, you're on speaker now. My sister is in the car, eager to speak to you!" Emma announces. 

I groan. It's not that I don't want Emma speaking to Harry, but I don't want her or Charlie to blab about what we are doing. I'd rather Harry not know that we're looking for his Christmas gift. I've been trying to keep it a secret and I refuse to have it blown now. I don't want it to seem last minute and rushed. 

"Hello, love!" Harry cheerily says. He's always happy in some way or another. I actually find it quite endearing and it helps lift my mood a little. 

"Hi, Harry," I say, a smile appearing on my face. 

"Is that your boyfriend?" Charlie asks from the back seat, followed by a bunch of kissing noises in a mocking way.

"Hey Charlie, why don't you go call Abby when we get home, hmm?" I suggest in relationship to the girl that he has a crush on. "I'm sure she'd love to hear from you."

He blushes and quickly looks out the window, avoiding the conversation. 

"Are we still on for tonight?" Harry asks, an amused tone in his voice. I have no doubt that he's laughing to himself over the interaction between Charlie and myself. I think he gets a kick out of my relationship with my siblings for some reason, probably because we're almost always bantering or needling each other. I might be the oldest by a lot, but I won't hesitate to stoop down to their level. 

"Yeah. I might need a little more time but I'll keep you posted," I tell him. 

I hope I can find him a gift within the next hour. I'm desperately running out of time. I should have begun hardcore looking for a gift sooner but I honestly thought I would have found something by now. 

"No worries," he assures me. "Just let me know when I should come over. I'm free for the rest of the day." 

I had invited Harry over tonight to decorate ginger bread houses with my family. All of my siblings were insistent that he come over before he leaves, and Harry was all for the idea. I also secretly hoped he would come but I didn't want to push it with how tight his schedule is. He was called into a couple meetings with Jeffrey and Kid and we didn't know how much time we'd have together, just the two of us. 

"I will," I tell him. 

I suddenly get an idea as I'm driving past numerous shops and swerve into a parking lot to this vintage jewelry store. The idea hit me out of nowhere. There's a chance that nothing will come out of it, but there's only one way to find out. I figured it could hurt to look since I know Harry loves jewelry. 

"Are you get getting Harry's gift here?" Charlie asks.

My eyes widen as I reach blindly for my phone, trying to hang up. 

"Alright, bye Harry! See you later! I'm looking forward to it!" I yell, trying to cover up Charlie's question. Luckily Emma hits the 'end call button' before Harry can say anything else. It's not a big deal if he heard but I'd rather him not know what we are up to. I don't want it to seem like I just want to get him a gift because he got me one, or to think I didn't put as much effort into his gift as he did for mine. It's just that it's taken me forever to actually find something.

After I pull into a spot, Emma, Charlie and I exit and make our way into this store. It looks rundown on the outside, but the inside is actually quite nice. Glass shelves line the walls, elegant pieces of jewelry being housed inside. 

A small man with large framed glasses that make his eyes appear larger than they are, smiles at the three of us as we walk in. He reminds me of a cartoon character out of a Pixar movie.

"Hello there," he greets us with a thick and hoarse voice that sounds like he's been smoking for a majority of his life. "Can I help you with anything?"

I sigh and politely shake my head. 

"Just browsing," I answer. "I'm - uh - just looking for a Christmas gift. I know it's a little last minute but I've been struggling to find something..." 

The man kindly smiles. 

"I understand completely. I'm a little behind as well, especially for my wife. But take a look around and let me know if you have any questions," he says.

I return his smile and begin to peruse the store, looking at the various display cases. At least Christmas music is playing through the speakers of the store. It cause my stress to subside a little.

After a couple minutes of looking, I sigh heavily, nervous that I won't be able to find anything at all. But then my eyes land on something. I walk closer to it and furrow my eyebrows as I stare at it. It's pretty. I think Harry would like it. It has a masculine, yet almost feminine feel to it, which I think his fashion sense borders on. 

The rose ring sits perched on a red box. It doesn't look brand new, which I also like. It has an older feel to it which gives it some character. I wonder if it was designed to look this way or if it's been passed down from many generations. 

"Excuse me," I ask the owner of the shop. He looks over at me. "Can I see this ring?"

He stands up from the chair he is sat on and comes walking over to me. Unlocking the back of the display cabinet with a key around his wrist, he pulls out the rose ring I was pointing at. 

"It's a beauty, that one," the man comments. "I remember when we first got it. Probably a little a more than a year ago." 

I gingerly pick it up and roll it in between my fingers. It feels sturdy and has a little weight behind it. 

"If this doesn't fit the person I'd buy it for, can it be adjusted?" I ask. 

The man purses his lips as he thinks. 

"I think it can be," he assures me. "Only a size or two though. But if you're concerned, I'll allow you to refund it with no questions asked if it doesn't fit."

I slip the ring on my middle finger. It fits loosely so I think if anything it will be close to Harry's ring size. I suddenly regret not getting his size sooner. He wears rings all the time so it would be easy to find out, although I suppose I wouldn't be able to do that inconspicuously. 

"How much for it?" I ask. 

"250," the man replies, a slightly worried look on his face.

I briefly stop breathing. $250 is a lot to me. I don't particularly have a lot of money in my bank account, but at the same time Harry is worth it. He just bought a car for me and I know the ring isn't much but I really do think he'll like it. It's the only thing I've seen that really makes me think of him. 

"Okay," I say, letting out a breath I was holding. "I'll take it."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

93.6K 3.4K 31
━━ 𝗔 𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗥𝗬 𝗦𝗧𝗬𝗟𝗘𝗦 𝗙𝗔𝗡𝗙𝗜𝗖𝗧𝗜𝗢𝗡 She's got a bulletproof heart but he's got a hollow point smile. He's a gathering storm. A spark i...
Arcane By Sage

Fanfiction

1M 20.9K 108
Forced to move, Ember Evergreen has to say goodbye to her best friend. She never thought she would see him again and it broke her heart. 10 years la...
1.2M 53K 99
Maddison Sloan starts her residency at Seattle Grace Hospital and runs into old faces and new friends. "Ugh, men are idiots." OC x OC
922K 56.4K 119
Kira Kokoa was a completely normal girl... At least that's what she wants you to believe. A brilliant mind-reader that's been masquerading as quirkle...