18

Amelia

Harry and I have barely spoken two words to each other since I got in his car. I didn't know what to say and it seems like he's having trouble finding his words as well. I'm really not in the mood to see him, or anyone for that matter, but I couldn't turn him away. Not while he was at my doorstep. Besides, I'm curious as to what this surprise is that he has.

"Harry, where are we going?" I finally say, my voice breaking the silence.

Harry chuckles from relief. 

"I was wondering when you'd ask. I was starting to worry I could kidnap you without you realizing," he jokes.

I turn to face him, seeing him visibly relax at the fact I spoke. His gaze softens and his shoulders become less tense.

I roll my eyes. "This isn't a fan fiction," I mumble, and fix my gaze out the window again.

"I'm taking you to a surprise," Harry tells me, vaguely.

I groan, not being all that into surprises. 

"Harry..." I whine. 

I look back over at him and pout, causing him to laugh at my childish behavior. 

"Well you're in luck, love, because we're here," he tells me.

We pull into the parking lot of what looks like a restaurant. I crane my neck to look out the window, curious as to where exactly we are. I know we're still in New York, but I've never been to this area before. I believe we've ended up in Westchester, which is just a little bit further upstate. 

When Harry parks, I carefully open my door and step outside into the cool air.

I'm a little skeptical about Harry's plan right now. He's barely spoken to me the past couple of days and then all of a sudden he just scoops me up and drives me somewhere hours away. Who does that? On my birthday nonetheless, which I have yet to hear about from Harry.

Harry holds his hand out for me to take. I glare at it, debating silently in my head if I should take it or not. I know I might be overreacting but I still can't help but feel hurt over the fact he forgot my birthday. If it hadn't come up at dinner when he met my family, then I wouldn't have to feel this upset because he wouldn't have been able to forget it. He wouldn't have known.

I decide to stop overthinking and I hesitantly take his hand in mine, causing him to smile. He then leads me to the back entrance to the restaurant. I'm assuming he called ahead and booked us a reservation, or perhaps he just prefers coming through the back. I probably would too if I were a celebrity and got spotted everywhere I went. 

Harry opens the door for me and I'm immediately taken back when I walk in. The entire restaurant is decked out in Halloween decor. Cobwebs fall everywhere and dimly lit candles light up the inside. I can also just barely make out Halloween music in the background, "Thriller" to be exact. It's all so wonderfully cheesy and I must say I love it.

"Harry - " I start, turning to face him but he cuts me off.

"Happy Birthday, Amelia," He tells me with an awkward smile. I furrow my eyebrows while a blush creeps on my face. He didn't forget. "I wanted to do something special but also surprise you. I know you have this Halloween tradition but I thought maybe we could start a new one or at least break you out of the cycle of the last one."

My heart skips a beat from his words. 

Without responding, I take a step forward and wrap my arms around his neck and give him a tight hug, feeling his rapid heartbeat against my own. His hands squeeze my waist gently before the two of us part.