THE CHASE - Connor x OC (I Am...

By omnomnomfood

Sequel to "I am" Charlotte is moments away from having the biggest arrest of her career when it suddenly see... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40 - The Interview
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67

Chapter 15

331 21 18
By omnomnomfood

"Connor, wake up!" I announced, jumping up bright and early at 2:30am. "We can't be late!"

"First of all, you were the one who was sleeping...not me. Second of all, we won't be late. Nick said to be there by...Oh God! We're going to be late!"

"Exactly!" I answered. I quickly threw on a sweater and jeans, watching as Connor followed.

"But maybe...you wouldn't mind telling me...why are we heading to Nick's right now?"

"Listen, if I had to learn the Lance family traditions by surprise, you do too!" I explained.

"Oh fine," Connor said. We left out of the apartment quickly, heading down to take our very rarely used car to Nick's house. As soon as we pulled up, Nick rushed out in just his pajama pants and a white top. Christen's car was already in the driveway, as was a fancy white car. I could see lights on in Nick's rebuilt garage. I cringed thinking about Nick's poor 2004 car.

"It's really good that everyone's elected to get hitched because that means we have a ton of help this year, Charlotte," Nick called, as he rushed over.

"Even Gavin's here?" I asked.

"It wouldn't be a family tradition if he wasn't," Nick shrugged. We headed into the house where Margot was laid on the couch sleep, petting Gavin's cat Lilac. Nick gently touched her leg where the scars were from her surgery. I had barely seen Margot since the surgery, so seeing her healthy was...exciting. Nick smiled at me knowingly. We set everyone's gifts under the tree.

"Everyone is out in the garage. They're grabbing each of their stations," Nick explained.

"Stations?" Connor asked confused.

"Oh yeah, boy wonder. Charlotte here is my right-hand gal, so she's going to help me lead the charge. So why don't you head out and help Gavin grab potatoes?"

"Potatoes? Gavin? I'm not working with Gavin," Connor announced.

"Aw but why? Fun team building activity," Nick said grabbing my arm as if telling me not to intervene.

"Because Gavin tried to kill me and Charlotte in cold blood while we solved a case!" Connor announced.

"Hey, but I'm cool with Gavin," I shrugged. Nick squeezed my arm but then rolled his eyes as if accepting my interference.

"Well...if you're fine with him...then I guess we'll partner up," Connor sighed. "But get me a drink first."

Nick turned to me, as if in shock. Unbeknownst to Connor, Nick and I had extensively planned for Gavin and Connor to partner up today. Nick assured me he could handle it, but I like to think we each know our husbands better than the other. Nick shrugged, and poured Connor eggnog and mixed it with whiskey.

"So, Nick. Why am I at your house at 3am?"

"Nuh-uh. Everyone learns by surprise," Nick shook his head. "And don't bother asking Gavin. He knows the rules too."

Connor groaned. Nick smirked. I watched as Connor took back the glass of eggnog, and then proceeded to just pour straight whiskey into the cup. He smashed that back too.

"Alright, and Gavin's in the garage?" Connor asked.

"Well yeah, but I'm sure with you taking back all of that they're heading back in at this point," Nick said a little shocked. Nick was right and we watched as people filtered in from the garage.

Fiona, still quiet and stoic. Christen still smart and happy. Gavin still irritable and naive. Suddenly, at the end, Elijah Kamski.

Connor and I froze in our tracks, absolutely dead. I turned to Nick.

"Why is he here?"

"He's like Christen's best friend. You know that," He whispered. I stared dead ahead. You could've cut the tension with a knife.

"He tried to make Connor kill an android," I whispered back.

"Hey, Charlotte!" Christen said excitedly. She threw the food on the table. She jumped and gave me a hug.

"Sorry," She whispered in my ear. She backed up, still giving me a smile, clearly trying to bring back the mood.

She headed over to Connor. "It's so good to see you, boy wonder!" She yelled, giving Connor a tight hug. She yanked him by his collar down to her level. She whispered something in his ear, which took Connor aback clearly, but he looked much more settled down than he did before.

Christen gently rustled his hair.

"So uh...who's ready to cook!" Nick announced.

Everyone sort of mildly shrugged.

"Okay, so Connor and Gavin. Peel all of those potatoes. Make sure they're well peeled. You know what...Gavin, you peel, and Connor you fix all of the places Gavin misses," Nick nodded.

"Hey!" Gavin answered.

"Oh, c'mon sweetie. You know it too," Nick shook his head. "Elijah and Christen you two handle green beans. make sure they're well spiced and everything. Christen, you know the recipe. Elijah, you listen to her very carefully."

"She'll kill me if I don't," Elijah joked. Connor laughed far too hysterically, prompting everyone to stare at him.

"Anyway...Fiona, how about you make sure everything is preheated and get on hot chocolate and turkey duty," Nick nodded.

"Hot chocolate?" I asked turning to Nick.

"Gavin convinced me. Still not handing out mom's recipe though," Nick shrugged. I chuckled.

"Okay...go time, guys!" I clapped. Everyone went to their respective posts, even Connor begrudgingly.

"Okay, Charlotte...we're on cookie duty. This year, I had to double every recipe. We're talking 8 turkeys, almost a thousand cookies...like an absurd amount of potatoes," Nick explained.

"Oh god, why so many?" I asked concerned.

"I decided to do something a little stupid," Nick shook his head.

"Don't you always?" I answered thumping his head,

"We didn't have a ton of cops at the precinct this year. We lost cops in the revolution. They all moved away from Detroit. I would've had to cut my recipes in half-"

"And? Where's the complaint?" I asked.

"It just wouldn't have been the same. So I asked Markus if he wanted me to give some to the Jericho security forces. I told him just to have them sign up. I swear to you, the whole force signed up," Nick shook his head.

"Jesus, Nick. I love you, but you're so stupid," I sighed.

"I know," Nick shrugged. "Just wait till you find out how many people are coming to Christmas dinner. I couldn't even host it here."

"Wait...where are you hosting it?"

"We're doing it at Markus's place this year...but I'm still hosting it."

"Markus? You're doing it with Markus?"

"Christen asked if she could, and he was thrilled. I mean look around at everyone in this kitchen. We couldn't even fit at our dining room table if we tried. So it's everyone here. And Markus. And North-"

"Nick, you know Connor and I have to do the two Christmas thing right?" I asked.

"Oh. Right. Yeah, so everyone except for the two of you, and then Markus and North and their kid-"

"They have a kid?"

"Oh, keep up, Bolts! Start grabbing the cookie stuff while I'm talking," Nick ordered me. I sighed and got out the ingredients, starting with the eggs.

"So everyone here, Markus, North, their kid," I began for him.

"Right! And Gavin's parents, and some people Christen knows from work, and oh god...I've lost track of everyone."

"You spent all that time telling me that I wasn't listening just to not even know who alls coming?"

"Yep. Exactly," Nick chuckled beginning to mix the dry ingredients. Everyone was talking and having a good time, even Connor and Gavin, which I think took everyone by surprise. Nick and I made sure everyone kept to their recipes, and that no one killed each other. Margot was barely awake by the time plating came around but she was excited to help. By 9am, Nick had managed to plate at least a quarter of what he needed. Maybe a little less since Nick might've let Kyle steal a plate.

At 9:07, the doorbell rang and Nick excitedly ran over. "Hey, Craig! How are the kids?" Nick greeted.

Connor suddenly nodded, and walked close over to me. "He makes these for the precinct guys?" Connor asked. I nodded.

We passed out every single last one of his dishes. It never ceases to amaze me how Nick can predict almost exactly how many people will actually show up.

Everyone seemed a little shocked when the first android showed up, but no one complained. Even Gavin kept his eye roll to himself. Elijah Kamski kept himself well hidden when we were passing out food. I think he knows that he's a pretty...visceral figure for cops and androids alike, but Connor and I managed to ignore him. When the time came around, Connor and I waved goodbye and left out. Nick sent us with our gifts from everyone, and "one for Hank."

"Are you ready to go to Hank's?" I asked as we got into the car.

"Yeah," Connor nodded, but he was smiling a little.

"What's got you so cheery?" I chuckled.

"I just had a good time," he answered, turning on the car. He always drives since I'm still a little scared to.

"Even with Kamski and Gavin?"

"Well...Gavin's not so bad. I think he might even think I'm deviant this year. Kamski...well Christen said that she wouldn't be with him if he wasn't better than the guy I knew a year ago."

"With him? Christen and Kamski are dating?"

"Well...maybe," Connor sighed. "They didn't seem very...coupled up."

"Ugh. It doesn't matter, but still. I'm glad you enjoyed yourself," I chuckled.

"But I started thinking while I was there," Connor sighed nervously.

Oh God. Whenever he just says he "was thinking," or gives me a nervous sigh like that, he wants me to start the conversation because whatever it is he wants to talk about he knows I'm not going to like it.

Since it's both...I think I'm going to hate it.

"What is it, Connor?" I sighed. He took my hand as he turned down the main road.

"I uh...well..." he sighed. He gently rubbed my hand, both of our hands covered with gloves.

"Connor if I'm going to hate it this much...just spit it out."

"I want a baby," Connor chuckled. I could see the joy on his face, and I'm sure he could see the contempt on mine.

"What a human one? One that'll die and we'll have grief about for the entirety of our eternal lives? Or an Android one who will weirdly stay a kid forever?" I asked, far more sarcastically and meanly than I meant.

"Well...you know Christen was telling me that she came up with this way for the Android kids to grow up. It's this really complex AI and upload system and she can even make genetics happen and-"

"Isn't that...creepy?" I asked.

"I...guess. But we could have a baby, Charlotte. There's nothing stopping us," he said excitedly.

"Connor," I said bluntly. "I...don't want a kid. I couldn't be a mother and...god...if they were human we would have to deal with that for the rest of our lives. If they were android we would have to deal with the kind of creepy conception. And that's all a big excuse to say...I couldn't be a mom."

"But you could! You totally could!"

"Connor, I don't want to be a mom and isn't that a bigger part of being one than being able to?" I asked. He gently let go of my hand and put both on the steering wheel. I chalked it up to the heavy snow and not to emotional hurt. I don't know if I could handle the latter.

"No, yeah. You make an excellent point."

"But um..."

"Charlotte. I want like 3 kids and a dog and...and...and!"

Whenever Connor has a buildup like that...somethings coming. He's upset.

"And a fucking family! With my fucking wife!"

There it is. I turned to him, watching his grip tighten on the steering wheel and his eyes dampen.

"God damn it. What the fuck is the point of a crying functionality other than to make me look like an asshole?" Connor asked. He reached into his pocket and grabbed some tissues to wipe away his tears.

"You don't look like an asshole...but swearing isn't really your thing. You sound like a toddler who just learned what cursing is," I joked.

Connor just cried harder. "It was funny but why did you have to say toddler!"

Oh God. We began to pull down Hank's street and Connor pulled over to the side several houses down trying to keep himself from absolutely bawling.

I leaned over and gave him a hug, and he began to settle down.

"I'm sorry. I don't know what came over me," he mumbled. It looks like that's Connor's soft spot- family. He never breaks cool, calm and collected unless something is seriously bothering him...and that's a very particular thing.

"I'm sorry too. I just...I don't know if I could handle it," I admitted.

"I know but that's the thing...I know you could. Because we would be doing it together. Your problem though is that you always think that you're going it alone, and you're not. You have people around you, but you act like you don't."

"What does that mean?" I asked, backing up.

"Every time you and Nick have to work on this Asher Kam case you act like it's your responsibility alone to solve it. And now when we're talking about kids you act like it's your sole responsibility to have the kid and take care of the kid and manage the kid, but it's not. It's ours," Connor sighed.

"Fine. Fine. I'll consider it...but not right now. Can't we just be married for like a year? Why do we need to throw a kid in the mix?"

"Fine. A year. But we have to be very clear about what we want in the meantime. I want 3 kids, a dog, and a real family."

"Connor...I want none of those things," I sighed.

"Not even a dog? Really?"

"I can appreciate them from afar but I don't know if we really need one in our house."

Connor sighed, putting the car back on the road, and began pulling up slowly to Hank's house. "Alright then," he said, turning off the car.

"Y'know what? I know I'm like renowned for my inability to compromise but hell...let's get a dog!" I announced, immediately regretting it.

"Really?" Connor asked sarcastically.

"No, really. We will get a dog. We'll head to the shelter tomorrow."

"Really?" Connor asked, excited this time.

"Yes really. We'll go get a dog. But...I get to choose the name."

"Alright then. I'm fine with that," Connor chuckled as Hank ran out. "What is with everyone running out to the car today? It's freezing out."

"Hey! You two were just sitting up there on the street? I was scared the car broke down," Hank said.

"Oh, no. Just prepping your gift!" Connor chuckled.

"Oh, well...Come on in!" Hank announced. I could hear Sumo bark from inside.

Love em from afar...not in my house...

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

141K 4.5K 23
Y/n Anderson is her name. Charming and overall a friendly personality, she's the embodiment of the phrase "doing great". Or at least that's what she...
30.4K 1.5K 18
Weeks after Markus's successful protest and the evacuation of Detroit, a trail of android bodies lead Detective Connor and Lieutenant Hank Anderson t...
367K 12.1K 40
About three months after the events of Detroit: Become Human, Connor continues to struggle with his new-found emotions. Despite CyberLife chasing aft...
397K 13.6K 174
"I'm broken." "Then you can be fixed." "You can't fix something this broken." "I can try."