THE CHASE - Connor x OC (I Am...

By omnomnomfood

Sequel to "I am" Charlotte is moments away from having the biggest arrest of her career when it suddenly see... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40 - The Interview
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67

Chapter 14

306 18 10
By omnomnomfood

"So, here's the plan," Ethan said, as we stepped into the elevator. "I will knock on the door, and introduce myself and you. Then we will ask them questions about Asher and take a good look around."

"Alright," I answered. Ethan pressed the button for the 8th floor, and we took it up. He left the elevator in front of me, and I followed him out and down the hall towards the apartment. Ethan knocked on the door, and I took the position to the right of him.

We heard two pairs of footsteps approach the door, and watched as they opened it.

I was immediately taken aback. I almost stumbled backward. I felt like vomiting. The pair that I was looking at...was Connor and me. Or...a copy of us? An RK800 and a CR400, hand in hand. That's what's important.

"Hi, I'm agent Ethan Brant with the FBI, and this is my partner, Charlotte Anderson with the Detroit Police Department. We would like to ask you some questions."

"Oh thank God," The RK800 began. "My brother has gone missing. We haven't heard from him since last night."

Ethan looked confused before turning to me. He must've seen it on my face. I wanted to reach over there and kill him for not warning me that the pair Asher Kam lived with....was my husband and me.

"Is your brother...Asher Kam?" Ethan asked.

"Yes. Why? Have you found him?" The RK800 asked, his arm still firmly around the CR400. They certainly don't have the same personalities as Connor and I, but they're...us. We have the same face, the same model number. Everything.

"I think it's best we come inside and talk," Ethan said, stepping in.

"Oh my God, is he dead?" The RK800 exclaimed, moving over so Ethan and I could come in.

"No. We found your brother...murdering a man," Ethan explained.

"What?" The RK800 answered. "No, no. Not Asher."

"I'm sorry," I stepped in, suddenly. I felt very uneasy talking to them.

"My partner here...she found him actually. He's been the prime suspect in an investigation for many years now. We need to discuss some history about him," Ethan explained.

"Okay. Alright. We'll help. Won't we?" The CR400 asked, turning to the RK800.

"Yes...I suppose we will. Here. Sit down. Let's talk then," he said, nervously planting himself on a couch across from a dining room table. The CR400 followed him in suit. Ethan pulled out two seats facing them and sat down in one. I sat down in the other. "So...what are your names and models?"

"I'm Spencer Kam," The RK800 explained. "And this is my wife. Connie Kam."

Well, at least they don't have the same names as us.

Ethan looked at me before looking back at the couple. "It seems like we have a lot to discuss. Let me talk things over quickly with my partner, and then we'll talk to both of you. Separately," Ethan explained.

"Oh alright," Spencer mumbled, taking Connie's hand. I felt extraordinarily uncomfortable. Ethan nearly pulled me up by my shirt and took me over to the side, far away from the Kam's. By far away, I mean into their kitchen, and barely out of earshot.

"What's your problem? You're sitting there looking like you just saw your worst enemy," Ethan whispered.

"Why didn't you tell me that the two people Asher Kam was living with were...were..."

"You and Connor? Because it shouldn't matter, Charlotte. Outside of your precinct, no one gives a shit if you two are married, and maybe you need to get used to it."

"Listen up, Ethan. I'm not going around flaunting the fact that I'm married, and nor do I want to. It's a little jarring to learn that not only are there two androids of your exact make and model also married, not miles away from you, but also that they're living with a god damn serial killer? Tell me why does that not give me a right to be a little uncomfortable?"

"Fine. Fine, you're right. But we're on a case. I'm going to need you to pull it together so we can come up with a game plan for talking to these guys."

"Alright. I'm listening, Ethan," I sighed.

"So, Charlotte..." Ethan began. "You can talk to Connie. Find out her history with Asher. Find out about Asher. Just really learn about them. I can use just about anything."

"Alright," I nodded.

"Are you ready to do this now?" Ethan asked.

"Yeah."

He quickly cupped my face with his hand. "Excellent, Charlotte."

He walked out in front of me. "Sorry about that. Could I speak with you, Spencer? Connie, Charlotte will have a word with you," Ethan directed. Ethan and Spencer left the room, while I took my place across from Connie.

"Hi. I'm Connie," she said outstretching her hand. I leaned forward and shook it.

"Charlotte."

"You looked a little nervous walking in here," Connie answered.

"I was," I nodded.

"It's not your first case, is it?" Connie asked, cocking her head. She's nothing like me despite being the same model. Her personality is...bubbly and sweet.

"No. No it's not. I was just a little taken aback," I explained.

"About what?"

"It's just a coincidence...but your husband is the same make and model as my husband. It was just...surprising."

"Well, Spencer and I are both prototypes. We met in the lab."

I remembered Christen telling me I was originally designed to be a romantic partner. Connor mentioned that he was too.

"You guys weren't..."

"They designed us. To be perfect for one another. We stuck with it, even once we became deviants," she nodded.

I felt sick to my stomach. This is why Christen was so short. She didn't want me to know that...my marriage...my relationship was manufactured in the same lab I was.

"Oh...isn't that nice," I gritted through my teeth.

"I like to think so," she answered.

"So...how did you meet Asher?" I asked.

"Oh. We all escaped the lab one day. In fact, Asher turned Spencer deviant. Spencer turned me deviant."

"How long have you all been escaped?" I questioned, leaning in.

"Oh god. Over 7 or 8 years," she explained.

"And...you escaped the lab. You've been a deviant for almost a decade?"

"Yes...we had to hide pretty well," Connie said, twiddling her fingers. "We set back Cyberlife's research pretty far once we escaped."

If I was putting this together right, years ago, Connie, Spencer, and Asher escaped the lab. Christen was working in the lab when they escaped, and this was during the romantic partner tests. After that, they put the projects on hold until just a couple of years ago...which was Connor and me.

"So...what is your relationship with Asher then?"

"Well, Spencer and Asher were practically brothers. Asher always treated him like a younger brother. I always felt like he was just my brother in law," Connie nodded.

"And do you know what Asher did for a living?"

"I never paid much attention. But Spencer would know."

It was clear. Connie didn't have much to do with Asher, and she didn't care to. I almost felt like she's not even deviant. God knows I wasn't without Christen's help.

"Connie, don't take this with offense but...are you a deviant?" I asked, leaning in. Connie shifted in her seat.

"Listen," She said, taking a suddenly much more serious tone. She was no longer bubbly and cheery, but instead, a serious expression took over. "I was out for 2 years on the side of the road because Spencer took so long trying to wake me up. Between him and Asher they helped me get out. You know that dark fucking winter hellscape you were in? I was in that for 2 years. You bet your fucking bottom dollar that I'm deviant."

I stared. "Alright. That's fair," I said, nervously shifting. 

"But yeah. I can't imagine Asher doing what you say he did," She responded, bubbly again.

"Well, he did," I nodded. "Asher took advantage of people."

"Stop saying that about him. You don't know him. You don't know what he went through in that lab."

"Going through something doesn't give him the right to...be a murderer, Connie."

"Shut up. Just keep up with the questions," Connie sneered.

I heard footsteps from behind me, and it was Ethan. "I think we have all that we need," Ethan said. "Thank you, Mr. and Mrs. Kam."

"Oh, no problem!" Connie said, cheery again. God, she freaks me out. I followed Ethan out of the apartment, and as soon as we were in the hall, he extended his arm, turning off his skin.

I followed.

Connecting...

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

254K 8.7K 23
*Follows the storyline of Detroit: Become Human* You've been working at Detroit City Police Department for a few years, being in the police force had...
80.8K 1.8K 11
A new young cop joins Detroit's best police department. He is assigned a partner, but unfortunately he is given an android as his partner. (Y/N) does...
24.4K 913 24
(Y/N) is a 22 year old woman who firmly believes in the concept of justice - if you commit a crime, you will have to pay for your mistakes. She was o...
73.1K 2K 22
Connor is lieutenant Hank Anderson's partner. He aids him on the force and in his home. One morning after a long night of drinking, Hank gets a very...