"Why Won't You Smile at Me?"...

By Byuugyyi

"I WISH TO SEE YOUR SMILE AND GLEE! BUT, YOU CAN'T SEE THE FREEDOM WE'D BE! WELL, IN A GAME FOR YOU, I REFUS... More

An Unwanted Encounter
Just a Comforting Smile
Justified Anger
Little Things Give You Away
Determination
A Violent Promise
Dreams of the Past
What Your Lightner Would Have Wanted
A False Sense of Choice
Blood Stress
Hate at First Sight
Death By Chocolate
SPECIAL: PART ONE The Second Fool
Q&A: Announcement
SPECIAL: PART TWO Rivalry
Q&A
SPECIAL: PART THREE The Question
SPECIAL: PART FOUR Shattered Dreams
The Power to Protect
Code of a False Knight
The Void Smiles Back at Me
SPECIAL: PART FIVE Secret Destination
Guiltless Crime
Eclipse
The Power of a Name
CHRISTMAS SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT
CHRISTMAS SPECIAL
Puppet on a String
SPECIAL: PART SIX Red Skin
SPECIAL: PART SEVEN Dance with the Devil
The Handsome Menace
Babysitting Blues
Diamond in the Rough
Lifeline
Candid Catwalk
Mental Syndrome
War Memories
Hero
One Last Performance

Before the Curtains Rise

3.2K 97 495
By Byuugyyi

(Authors note: Hello! This fan-art of our boi Jevil is done by I Love Snatchy Boii! You can find them at www.quotev.com/ILoveSnatchyBoii!! I love how stupidly happy Jevil looks. Anyways please enjoy the chapter.)

The solitary scratching of a pen echoes around the room. The pen was dancing around the pages weaving an intricate picture with the power of your words. You click in your writing utensil, wiping the sweat off of your forehead. You read over your writing one last time. Perfect. Just what you wanted. You glance up at the silent clock on the wall. Three-forty was displayed on the hands of the clock.

The show was supposed to be at five o'clock. Scratching your chin, you ponder over if you should try to arrive early to that fools show. If you get there ahead of time, you might be able to take your seat before the inevitable crowd forms. You did have a VIP ticket. Maybe, that's one of its perks? Eh. Whatever you should at least try.

Closing your journal, You open up your nightstand drawer and place both the book and pen inside of it. Grabbing the golden ticket on top of the nightstand, you shamble out of your bed.

You take a glance at the ticket just to make sure you had the right time. Yep, it still says five o'clock. You steadily make your way to the damaged door and slam it behind you. You remove your hand from the door, staring at its new wounds. What an awful hole... You trace your fingers over the splintered wood, feeling the sharpness of its chipped edges. You look around the hole inspecting it. Man, if any smaller darkner wanted to they could slip into our room through that...

The corners of your mouth move downward. If you left your journal here, you would worry about someone stealing it. Sighing, You quickly enter back into your room, and grab your personal writing book and pen again, deciding that they would be much safer with you. You slip your ticket in between the pages of the book and slide the pen onto the leather covering of the book, making it much easier to carry.

Once again closing the door behind you, you take a step away from the door. You pause for a second, your eyebrows furrowed. Where was the theater again? You search your brain trying to think of the answer. Within a moment, you could feel a metaphorical light bulb illuminate over your head.

Oh, yeah, it's on the first floor, isn't it? In the hallway opposite of the cafeteria? Yes, that sounds right. Out of the things Rudinn had shown you on your first day here, the location of the theater was thankfully one of them. You sigh of relief, If you didn't know where the theater was you would have had to look all over the castle for it. It was rather nice to actually know something for a change. With a good idea of where you're going, you start your long walk to the first floor.

Strangely enough, the hallways were practically empty. Throughout your entire trip down there was not a darkner in sight. While it was nice to not have to actively avoid acknowledging any other darkner in the hallway, it also made you a little anxious. Is everyone already in line for the show? Or was there something else going on that you didn't know about?

When you reach the first floor your suspicions turn out to be sadly true. There already was a giant crowd of darkners lined up at the doors. You swear that every darkner you had ever seen at this castle was in that line. Clover was talking amongst herselves at the front of the line. You couldn't hear what hers was saying. But you could see that two of the faces looked rather agitated at each other and hers last head looked disheartened. They must be fighting amongst themselves, again. There was the group of Hathys in the middle, that you recall always playing poker during breakfast and dinner. You hope you never have to speak to them... They seem a little creepy...Then in the back of the line, was your destructive Rudinn partner.

Rudinn was holding onto a Head Hathy's tentacle and was happily chatting to them. The Head Hathy had their head turned away and was blushing heavily. Your eyes softened a little bit when you looked at them. They seem to be having a good time on their date. Good for Rudinn

Despite, the cuteness of Rudinns date, you frowned deeply and narrowed your eyes at the crowd. You shudder thinking about standing in that line. The absolute suffocation you'd feel being surrounded by so many other darkners. It would be so easy for a darkner to accidentally hit you with their arm or something as well... Nope, you can't handle that. Looking closer at the scene it appears that the doors are open in the front. And the theater staff are already letting darkners inside. Your eyes widen, the show starts in about two hours! And they are already letting darkners sit down.

God, just your luck isn't it! Of course, nothing ever goes like how you wanted it. Even better, glancing at the crowd you can see that none of them have VIP tickets. What are you supposed to do to get inside? Were you supposed to just get in the normal line or are you supposed to come back later to be seated? The possibilities were endless and infuriating.

You slap your head against the guard rail of the stairs. Your cranium caused the poor unsuspecting metal rail to crumple like a candy wrapper. You glare at the no longer usable railing, were you getting weaker? This wreckage wasn't up to your usual standards of strength...

You know what screw it! You're going back to your room. You'll come back out here when the show starts in like thirty minutes. Maybe then, the line will clear out. And you would finally feel comfortable with asking one of the theater staff your questions. You stomp back up the stairs.

Your trek back to your room had a much different tone then your trip down to the theater. The air felt incredibly thick. So thick that you could cut it with a knife. It was unbearably quiet, you could hear your very soul beating inside of you. As you climb up your third set of stairs, you can feel a knot grow in your stomach.

Something wasn't right.

It was cold and unwelcoming like you were walking into a predators domain as its primary prey. You felt like you were the first darkner shown in a horror movie. You know the one that always dies! Perhaps, you actually miss seeing the other darkners in the hallways.

A breathy whisper sounds from right behind you, freezing you in place.

You nervously glance down at the steps below you, praying that Rudinn and Seam would mourn for you if you were killed. The only thing there was the dead, cold air that surrounds you. You should go back down to the theater. At least there if you die there will be witnesses.

A puff of hot air brushes itself across your neck, then another, then another, then another...

Your soul was beating faster than it ever had before, your eyes widen as large as dinner plates.

Someone was breathing on your neck.

NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE!

Dropping your book, You immediately plunge down the stairs, angling yourself so that you hit the third floor instead of the stairs. You fell onto the castle floor on your stomach, completely undamaged from your fall. Of course, it wasn't like a drop that small would be able to lower your hp You glance over your shoulder to see who the hell was going to eat your goddamn knuckles. But when you looked up there was no darkner there.

Your angry, terrified face got switched out for a look of befuddlement. Did that really happen? Or did you just imagine that? Your eyes narrow.

No, you remember being in a situation similar to this before. You couldn't quite put your finger on it, What was reminding you so strongly-

Like a bolt of lightning, the answer finally comes to you.

Oh.

You clench your hands into a fist. That son of a...

"BWA HA HA! YOU'RE SO MUCH FUN, FUN!" That annoying jester's voice sang out from in front of you. Turning your head from the staircase, your eyes were met with the fools own yellow pinprick eyes, boring into you. Your entire body jerks back, away from the closer-then-you'll-ever-like clown. Jevil uproars in laughter. He starts floating the air and flipping around. He rubs his glove against his eye to wipe away one of his quickly growing tears.

"Jevil!!" You screech out, launching yourself off of the ground.

You stand with your knees slightly bent and fists painfully clenched. You were so ready to knock this purple freaks lights out. Make him pay for all of the trauma you had gone through because of him. Taking a deep breath, you force your hands to relax.

No... Despite, how much you want to tear his soul apart piece by piece. No matter how much you want to scream at him for answers for all of the sketchy shit he's doing. You can't do it. At Least you can't while he still has your book bag in his possession.

Instead you glare at him with the fury of a thousand raging pawns. As soon as you get your book bag...

Your, eyes ignite with a fiery rage.

You will not show him any mercy.

"UEE HEE HEE! I'M SORRY, SORRY, MY GUARD! I JUST COULDN'T HELP MYSELF!" He rotates upside down in the air, giggling. "TOO EXCITED, EXCITED!" His already monstrously large smile got even bigger.

You grimace at his use of 'my guard' and growled menacingly at him."This meeting wasn't apart of our deal, Jevil!" You crossed your arms together in an attempt to shield your hands from him.

"WHAT CAN I SAY? I'M FULL, FULL OF SURPRISES!" He cups his face with one of his hands. "YOU ARE AS WELL, (Y/N)!" He sticks his tongue out and winks at you.

You roll your eyes. You "full of surprises?" Really? "Why are you here, Jevil?" You tried to state calmly, to conceal your growing rage.

He gently floats slightly closer to you. But not enough to set you off. Jevil claps his hands together and beams at you like a child that had gotten exactly what they wanted for Christmas. "I KNEW YOU WOULDN'T BE ABLE, ABLE TO RESIST PLAYING WITH ME. BUT I DIDN'T ANTICIPATE YOUR ARRIVAL BEING THIS EARLY, EARLY." He drifts closer to you, wrapping his arms around himself like an intimate embrace.

You try to step back from the approaching purple devil, but the heel of your foot ends up hitting the black castle wall behind you. You peek in disbelief at the wall behind you, you could have sworn that you had more space behind you than that. Fortunately, enough for you the entertainer stopped before he traveled into your personal bubble.

Jevil laughs and starts twirling in place, still cuddling himself with his arms."HE HE HE. SO HAPPY, HAPPY, YOU MADE ME! EVEN THE DEVILSKNIFE WAS SMILING!"

Ceasing his whirling, he stares into your eyes with that same joyful look he has always worn."BUT WITHIN THE BLINK OF AN EYE, YOU ABANDONED ME!" He places one of his hands over his mouth and giggles. "UEE HEE HEE. HOW INTRIGUING! INFORM ME WHY."

You look at him, confusion growing on your face. What is a Devils knife? And why can it smile? You brush aside your confusion and you glare at the jester again.He didn't ask you why you left. No, he commanded you to answer him. He had the nerve to command you to answer him like you were his servant or something!

Just one more thing to add to your list of questions about Jevil...

"I'm not going to tell you. Now if you'll excuse me-" You scoffed at the sense of entitlement the fool had. And you tried to move past the Jester so you wouldn't be practically cornered by him.

The jester magically materialized directly in the way of where you were walking."HOW BORING, MY GUARD!" He jests at you, his tail swaying to-and-from.

By instinct, you take a step away from the fools close form. Boring huh? You're boring for not wanting to answer this jerk's questions?! You know that this wasn't the best idea considering the position that you are in with the clown. But you could only take so much before you were done. You stomp your foot and snarl at him.

"What is wrong with you? Can't you just accept that I don't want to speak with you?" You attempt to maneuver around him, again. But just like before he appears in front of you.

He holds one finger up and wags it back and forth. "DON'T BE A STRANGER, (Y/N)." He scolds, like a teacher reprimanding some kid he found misbehaving in class. "OR, DO YOU NOT DESIRE TO HAVE THESE BACK." He floats away from you. Then, He holds both of his hands out away from him. Spontaneously, both your book bag and leather bond personal writing journal manifest individually on one of the hands.

You mutter profanities under your breath at yourself for dropping your journal. But, you can't blame yourself too badly. It was just a natural reflex to drop something when petrified. A natural reflex that Jevil exploited. You shoot a glare at Jevil's happy face that could cut through steel. " Did you scare me just so that you could take that from me?"

Jevil snickers and the bookbag disappears from the jesters grasp. He gazes at the journal and places it on his chest. Using his arms to cage the book, he snuggles it against his body. "MAYBE..." He playfully looks back to you and smirks.

It was a disturbing sight, to say the least. Seeing him caress your journal in such a loving matter made you feel like you were going to throw up. You rub your temples with your hands in frustration. You don't have a choice, do you? Its either tell him the stupid reason that you left or...

Let him continue doing that to your journal.

He already knows how uncomfortable you are when other darkners are close to you. There's no point in lying to him. Although, you were not fine with telling him that you had no idea how you were supposed to get inside with the VIP ticket. It makes you sound like an idiot. He would most certainly make fun of you for that.

You shrug your shoulders and throw your hands up in defeat."All right, Jevil. Fine. You win." You announced to the all too happy to hear entertainer. His wide smile grew even larger and his yellow eyes twinkled. "OH?" He stopped snuggling the book now he was merely cradling it in his arms.

You crossed your arms across your chest once again. You met his shining eyes with your own stone cold gaze.

"Since you gave me a VIP ticket." You mutter "For some reason." under your breath before continuing. "I thought that if I came to your show early, That I might be able to take my seat before a large swarm of darkners show up."

You hold out your arm and point at Jevil accusingly, narrowing your eyes. "You out of any other darkner here should know how important my personal space is to me." You retract your arm and cup your face with your hand, your gaze falling to your feet. "My plan didn't work so I left. It's that simple."

When you try to look back up at the clown, your site is bestowed with your journal inches away from your face instead. Jevil is holding it out in front of you and is smiling cheerfully at you. You gaze worryingly at the jester's hand clenching the book, your mouth becoming a bit dry. Jevil, wouldn't just let you have your journal back would he? There had to be something concocting in that demented mind of his. You could feel it in your soul.

"HA HA HA. COME ON, MY GUARD. I DON'T BITE, BITE!" He sang, shaking the journal as if he was trying to tease you with it.

The frown on your face deepens. If he was going to do anything it's not like you could do anything to stop it. Gritting your teeth, Your hand darts to clutch the book. You tense up waiting for him to stroke your hand or touch you in some other way.

The book grows heavier in your grip as Jevil removes his hand. You raise an eyebrow at the Joker, your mouth open searching for something to say.

Jevil snickers, backing himself up. "BWA HA HA! YOU THINK THAT LOW, LOW OF ME?"

He holds his hands up to the air and flips himself upside down, his arms now holding up his tiny body."I WOULDN'T DO SOMETHING THAT WOULD MAKE YOU WEEP KNOWINGLY. THAT'S NO FUN, FUN!"

You roll your eyes at his words, there is not a chance in hell that you are going to believe that. Jevil bends his arms and launches high up into the air performing a somersault.

Running on your own instincts, you deliberately take some huge steps away from the Jokers falling body. He lands perfectly on the ground, exactly where he was before, and starts pirouetting on one of his feet. "YOU COMING TO MY SHOW WILL BE LOTS OF FUN, FUN, MY GUARD. I DON'T EVEN WANT TO PERFORM UNLESS YOU, YOU ARE THERE."

You can feel bile rising up in your throat at his sickly sweet statement. Everything he says about you just brings up even more questions about his intentions. Keeping your eyes on the spinning fool, you see that a flash of gold shine from his hands. You narrow your eyes, in contemplation.

Was that... Your ticket?

You hadn't even noticed that it was missing. You supposed you had been rather occupied with... him.

Out of nowhere, the clown does a twirling leap into the air. With all of the elegance and grace of an Olympic diver he lands right in front of you, kneeling on one of his legs, making him even shorter then he was before. His hand holding up the ticket, presenting it to you. The golden shine of the paper looked eerily similar to Jevils currently overjoyed eyes. While you looked into his eyes you couldn't help but feel there was another emotion in them you couldn't recognize. With his strange gaze on your face and his delighted smile, and the current position he was in....

It almost kind of looked like... he was proposing to you?

"WHY DON'T I MAKE YOU APPEAR INSIDE OF THE THEATER WITH MY MAGIC, MAGIC?" He shouts out, boring into your eyes with such emotional intensity that it burned your retinas. "YOU WILL NOT HAVE TO DEAL WITH THE PRESENCE OF OTHER DARKNERS!"

You quickly remove your gaze from his stare, You couldn't handle seeing that anymore."Why do you have my ticket, Jevil? Weren't you supposed to give that back to me with the journal." You say, in a stern tone.

Jevil materializes in front of your shifted gaze, keeping the exact same position. "OH? SO YOU COULD GRAB IT WHEN WE TELEPORT. YOU EITHER HAVE TO HOLD ON TO THE TICKET. OR YOU HAVE TO HOLD ON TO ME." Jevils tail sways gently back and forth behind him.

Your eyes narrow at the jester. "Why do I need to do either of that? I have seen you use your teleporting magic on items that never even came close to you!" You recall that he did wash those dishes and make them disappear during your first meeting, without so much as poking any of them.

Jevil's eyes twinkle for a second, before going back to their strange shining yellow hue. "YOU HAVE A SOUL. I NEED TO BE CONNECTED PHYSICALLY TO TELEPORT SOMEONE WITH A SOUL."

Unnerving was the perfect word to describe what you are feeling right now. Jevil stayed still in his strange little position, this is the longest you had ever seen Jevil stay in one spot. The feeling of the fools intrusive eyes staring into yours was giving you a headache. This is way too much...

"Whatever." You state as nonchalantly as you possibly could. Screw it! You just wanna get away from the horrifying look in his eyes. Jevil moves the ticket in his hand so that the end of the ticket has enough space for you to grab without even grazing his. Hesitantly, you grip the corner of the ticket, keeping your eyes glued onto his hand. The moment your skin touched the shimmering paper, you could hear that same heavy breathing from before... "CLOSE YOUR EYES, MY GUARD! YOU SHALL BE DEPARTING ON AIRPORT JEVIL, IN 3.."

You grit your teeth. There is no way in hell you were closing your eyes around Jevil.

"2..." Tightening your grip on your journal, Your body tenses up in preparation.

"1!"

The floor fell beneath you and Jevil. And an explosion of bright vibrant flashing colors erupts across the world. Millions of different shades and hues flicker all around you in a seizure-inducing pattern.

You could feel tears running down your face from the strain the rainbow mess was putting on your eyes. Glancing around this disco hellscape, you can see Jevil standing up looking at you from beyond your ticket. He had the smuggest "I told you so." look on his face.

That motherf-.

Your feet hit solid ground and you immediately fall down to the ground on your back. The entire world was spinning around you creating strange looking monstrosities in your vision. God, you feel like you just got smashed with a hammer.

Suddenly a purple looking spider-like creature came into your vision, floating above you. nIt was holding its stomach with four of its arms and cackling wildly at you.

Was that... Jevil?

Finally, the world stabilized and you could see properly again. Jevil was indeed above you, howling at your misfortunes. You clench the book and the ticket in both of your hands. You scowl at the entertainer. He doesn't even ask if he could help you or anything... No. He just laughs his little heart out.

You quickly slide the ticket into the cover of your journal for safekeeping putting on the same side as your pen, that is still somehow there. You roll over and start picking yourself off of the floor, dusting off any of the dirt or grime that had been on the floor.

Glancing around the room you can see that it is very dark, with three sources of light coming from a room beyond this one. Gazing into the closest light source in front of you, you can see a... Balcony that's hanging off into the theater.

You step out, into the lighting of the balcony and see two spread apart comfy looking seats. Was one of those your seat? You move in front of the chair and see an etched in 5 written across the left ones top black frame. Moving in closer to the chair, you lovingly stroke its black softness. A look of content wraps around your face. Oh, we are going to get along just fine...

Raising your eyes from the plump seat, your heart nearly stops when you see Jevils face peeking at you from the right side of the chair. He had his head nuzzled into one of his hands And stared at you with half-lidded eyes. A pure wave of fear went up your body and you scotched away from his scary expression.

Jevil giggles much more softly then you had ever heard him speak. " HE. HE. HE. MY GUARD, THERE'S STILL AN HOUR LEFT UNTIL MY SHOW, SHOW STARTS." You could sense your face going pale at the thought of him spending another hour with you.

Jevil stands back up, looks at the ceiling and places his hand on his forehead dramatically."BUT, AS MUCH AS I LOATHE TO LEAVE, LEAVE YOU, I MUST PREPARE FOR MY ACT." He glances back at you and grins even wider. "BEFORE I DEPART, (Y/N). I HAVE A SMALL GIFT TO BESTOW UPON YOU." He raises his hand and snaps his fingers. In the lap of your seat, a large soda and gigantic bag of popcorn pop into existence. You look dumbfounded at the snack foods Jevil has given you.

Jevil twirls around to face you and he tilts his head. "UEE HEE HEE! I HOPE YOU ENJOY MY SHOW, MY GUARD! I CAN'T, CAN'T WAIT FOR YOU TO SEE ME ON STAGE." His excited gaze bores into your head like a parasite, looking into his eyes, it such emotional deeps that you can't even hope to comprehend. Jevil sticks out his tongue and winks at you before disappearing.

You lift up your body up from the balcony ground and are greeted with a massive amount of darkeners below you. You could hardly even make out which darkner was which from this massive height. You turn your head away from the mob of darkners below you, worried that one of them might see you up here. The last thing you'd want is someone spreading rumors about how you got the ticket...

Glancing over to the side, you can see that there are two other balcony areas. All are at the same level as you. But the middle one has a giant solitary seat placed on it. You raise your eyebrow at that. The other balcony seems to be the exact same as the one you are currently residing in. You turn your eyes away from the other balconies and focus your attention on your own luxurious chair.

Moving over to your seat, you place the popcorn and the soda on the floor beside the furniture. You weren't overly enthusiastic about eating something that came from him.

Resting yourself down in the chair, you can feel its cushions embrace you with a comfy cuddle. While not as good as Seams couch, the chair did its job nicely. Leaning back in the chair, you hold your leather bound in front of you. You gently grab the pen from the outside and open the book. Your soul freezes in place. Befuddlement consumes your emotions, you can feel sweat starting to form on your forehead.

These aren't the pages of your journal.

These are the pages from your history book.

You flip the book to the cover, hoping to see the normal cover of the book. No, outside is still your leather writing journal. Jevil must have used his magic to switch the contents of it or something. Your soul stops in your chest, as the color of your body turns a pale white.

Jevil has your personal writing journal.

And he's alone with it for an hour.

Your breathing becomes heavier, and your soul pumps out of control.

You desperately fling open the pages of the once-writing-journal searching for something.... For ANYTHING. That vaguely resembles your pen strokes.

Not a sight like that could be found... But what was there was... You didn't understand.

Multiple of the Card Castle book's pages had the words on them scribbled out with black pen ink. Your breath got stuck in your throat. What? Why? There has to be a reason why these pages are edited. Looking at the front of the book you scanned through the first pages to see if any of them got the scribble treatment.

Your eyes widen even more than you thought was possible, every picture of a darkner printed out on the pages of this book... had viciously harsh black pen strokes cutting through their bodies. Their eyes were completely covered in the black ink.

You tried to swallow the dryness in your mouth and continued on throughout the book. Your eyes darted across the page like a ping pong ball, trying to find some sort of reason...

Jevil must have done this. What in Gods name is wrong with him?

You finally came across a censored out page of the book. You tap your pen on your chin scrambling in your brain to remember what this passage was about. You bite the end of the pen.

This section was about the four kings.

You came across another blacked out page. This page used to be about the gardeners of the castle.

Another one arrived. This one was about Hathys and Rudinns.

A drop of sweat dribbles down your chin and onto the inked out page in front of you.

You understood what the pattern was now.

Any page that was about a specific type or individual darkner, was crossed out.

But there was one exception to that rule.

Near the end of the book, you found one page that was dedicated to a two darkner that was pristine, it was untouched by the jester's wrathful ink strokes.

The page about the Jokers of the castle.

The picture on the page was an image of Jevil and Seam. Seam was clearly trying to take a serious photo. But his fellow joker most certainly was not.

Jevil's left hand hooked his fingers into the left side of his mouth and was stretching it open, showing off his large pointy teeth. His tongue was sticking out at the camera and his eyes were looking in two entirely different directions. To top it all off, Jevil had his other hand behind Seam, forming little bunny ears.

They both looked so... Different...

Not so much physically. Although Seam did look much less tattered then he was now... That wasn't your focus.

Seam had a content happy smile that reached his button eyes. He looks like he might have been giggling at Jevil when this picture was taken. A far cry from the much more lonely old man that you saw earlier today.

And Jevil...

He looked like he had a genuine smile on his face. Whenever Jevil smiled at you, you felt like there was something he was hiding from you. It didn't feel like it was just a friendly smile. But in this photo, there was no such thing. He looked like he was just a happy camper, goofing off with his friend.

You breathe deeply in, releasing the tension you had been feeling throughout your body.

Underneath the picture, there was a caption. "Jevil (Left) and Seam (Right): Best Joker Friends Forever."

You blink at the caption, realizing that Jevil did not leave this page entirely uninked. Right after the written caption, Jevil had drawn a sad looking face.

You gaze at the picture mournfully and gently rub your finger over Seams slightly-younger self.

You felt so sorry for the old cat. He used to have such a strong friendship with Jevil, and from what Jevil drew he must feel a twinge of sorrow as well.

Unless... Your eyes darken heavily.

He deliberately put this in here to make you feel pity for him.

You grab the page harshly, ready to crumple up the jesters lie, but you stop yourself. A dull glimmer of hope still rests inside your soul. You wanted it to be true.

You wanted to see Seam smile like that.

Your finger traces the grin of the picture of the stuffed up doll.

You wanted him to be happy again.

You tenderly take the page and place it back in the leather bindings of the book.

Seam deserves to know what's happening. Not just apart of the truth, you need to tell him anything. He's Jevils best friend... He's known Jevil for God knows how long. Tomorrow. You're going to tell him tomorrow when you visit him for some tea. You promise that you will.

A faint creaking sound comes from far behind you. The sound of slithering and stomping against the floor piques your interest. Huh... That must be the other VIP darkners. Finally, took them a while to get here. You stretch out your arms in front of you and fold them over the top of the chair. You want to look casual and unassuming for whoever is your balcony buddy. It's not like their going to try to talk to you while your both watching a show.

Gradually, the sounds of movement from the back die down. But no one has taken up the fourth seat yet. What? Were they late or something? Well whatever, having a private balcony to yourself was a rather luxurious though. However, the identity of the other VIP holders did interest you.

You glance over to the other balconies. That tenseness you had a mere five minutes ago came back like a slap to the face. Looking at the middle of the balcony, you can see the Kings of Clubs sitting there snug as a bug in that giant seat. The King of Clubs heads looked pretty excited for the upcoming show. One had a soda hat on that he was drinking out of with a straw. And one was completely painted to look like Jevil's face. But the rest of hisselves 9 heads were not doing anything particularly noteworthy, they just looked rather pleased to be here right now.

Your sight moves away from the jolly King, a clear look of panic on your face. If the King of Clubs was sitting here... You swallow nervously. Does that mean the other Kings are going to sit here?

You glance back at the King of Clubs and wish you could see the other balcony to see who was sitting there. But, the king of Clubs's body was covering up any trace of a balcony existing there at all.

You look down at your lap your hands clutching onto one another. You've only ever really met the King of Diamonds. He was the one that hired you as a guard after all. You were anxious at the thought of meeting another one of the kings.

Your hands tightened their grips on each other.

Hopefully, you will just have the King of Diamonds in the seat next to you. He could be pretty chill as long as you don't mention anything about gems to him... You remove your hands from each other and cross your fingers in hope that the King of Diamonds ticket is number four.

The door slams behind you. Mountain-shaking steps made their way to your balcony. With every step it was like an earthquake, you had to hold on tight to the arms of the seat to stop you from falling off. You face falls, The King of Diamonds didn't have any feet that could make that sound or shake the ground like that... Nor did the King of Hearts now that you think about it...

Oh, God no! You can feel your face twist into a look of despair. The only king that was left was...

The King of Spades emerges from the shadows of the room behind you into the yellow lighting of the theater. He looked just as threatening and evil as Rudinn said he would. His face was truly one of the only ones you had ever seen that could truly rival your stone cold glare. His sharp teeth and shadowed eyes could strike fear into the souls of any darkner that dared to get in his way. The pure fury that was radiating off of him, could make any darkner cry in an instant.

...And he was going to be sitting next to you for the rest of Jevils show. This is the end of the road, might as well figure out what you want your dust sprinkled on.

Well, looking on the bright side, at least if you do perish, You wouldn't have to see Jevil again.

His massive hulking body came up to the fourth seat and sat down. You attempted to shove yourself into the seat as far as you could possibly go, hoping that just maybe, he would not see you sitting there. The King's unimpressed, and irritated gaze was trained onto the crowd, his hand resting in the palm of his big strong hands.

God, he could crush your head in like a grape with that hand. Seeing that disturbing art project of Jevil's certainly didn't help your nervous, terrified mood. He lazily rolled his head to look at you. You could feel your soul turn to dust in your chest.

"You're that new guard Diamond hired aren't you...?" He concluded you swear you could feel his eyes looking up and down your body judging you cruelly.

Ok, (Y/N). Let's just play it cool. He seems like the type that wouldn't want you to be groveling at his feet begging for mercy after he glanced at me. Despite how much his presence makes you want to.

Trying to keep a somewhat decent composer you rip yourself out of the back of the chair and fold your arms across your chest. You nod at the king giving a quick. "Correct." to his question.

He stares at you studying your entire physique like you were some type of rare exotic animal. A finger from his hand tapped his chin. His intimidating smile shifts down to a frown. "Diamond, you keep picking weaker and weaker underlings..." He states as a mere fact and turns his head away from you towards the stage.

You couldn't help. But feel a little bit insulted that he called you a weakling. However, you were much more happy that he stopped looking at you like that. You felt... a little violated by that. Of course, his stare doesn't come close to Jevil's. You can feel yourself shuddering just thinking about that mysterious look you saw in that fool's eyes.

Suddenly, the lights go out, embracing the world around you in darkness. Two spotlights turn on and circle around the closed curtains. An eruption of applause and whistling comes from the audience below you.

It was time for the show to start

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

88K 2.6K 23
Your best friend is an aspiring celebrity, who happens to hate Mettaton. But you both travel to his show to gain popularity. You loved Mettaton and h...
4K 34 3
Every time I leave now he's there. The skeleton monster with the wicked grin that promises wicked things. Always sitting in the park in the dead of n...
34.2K 700 24
(COMPLETE! Thanks ya'll for coming! :D) See the rules before requesting, thanks! All of these will be SFW, with only possibly some very light swearin...
332 10 1
TRIGGER WARNING: VIOLENCE!!! ----- Luigi's been keeping a secret. Dimentio. The man in green couldn't help but feel sorry for him, his supposed fri...