The History of Renko: Book 2...

By LightningStrike

The Avatar must master all four elements and maintain balance. The young Avatar Renko must follow in his pred... More

Prologue
Chapter 1: A Teacher and His Student
Chapter 2: Blue Eyes in the Night
Chapter 3: Reunions
Chapter 4: Meet the Press
Chapter 5: Family Time
Chapter 6: In the Skies Above
Chapter 7: The Hanging Temple
Chapter 8: A New Breeze
Chapter 9: Stay Cool
Chapter 10: Rally the Troops
Chapter 11: A Cluttered Mind
Chapter 12: An Unwelcomed Vacation
Chapter 13: What is to be Revealed
Chapter 14: Where True Motivations Lay
Chapter 15: We All Have Secrets
Chapter 16: Sidetracked
Chapter 17: Waiting
Chapter 18: The Impenetrable City
Chapter 20: A Strange Genius
Chapter 21: Ahmad
Chapter 22: En Route
Chapter 23: In the Shadows
Chapter 24: Armadillo Bear Rush
Chapter 25: Punch Through
Chapter 26: Experiments
Chapter 27: The Summit
Chapter 28: When We Change
Chapter 29: War Council
Chapter 30: Reflection
Chapter 31: A Storm is Brewing
Chapter 32: Scrambling
Chapter 33 (revised) : Frustration
Chapter 34: Closing

Chapter 19: Tension

46 3 3
By LightningStrike

"I'm Zhong, head of anthropology at Ba Seng Sei University," said the man standing in front of the Ba Seng Sei central police precinct. One could easily tell that this man was the brother of President Ridhya of the Earth States but this man did not have the face of a president. Ridhya's face was more lean and slim whereas this man had a rounder pudgier face. On top of that, the same black hair that he shared with his brother was considerably thinner on top.

Regardless of his looks, he looked at his nephew warmly.

"Renko," he said in a voice, not unlike his brother's. "It has been so long. You're taller than I am now!"

"It's good to see you," Renko said. "I'm sorry for dropping in at such short notice."

He looked over his group of ragged young people. Ahmad had a leaf sticking out of his hair and Tiulo had a glazed look in his eyes as he stared around the city. Even Renko himself looked weathered from the trip and his face could certainly use a wash. Pāru was the only one who looked sharp and presentable standing tall just like her mother.

"You don't think grandma is going to mind having three strangers staying over do you?"

"I wouldn't think so," Zhong looked thoughtful for a moment. Then he said, "It's easier to ask for forgiveness than it is for permission."

Renko smiled. He always liked this side of his uncle.

"You didn't have a hard time getting into the city did you?" Zhong asked generally to the group.

"Actually," Ahmad said. "When we were flying over we got intercepted by the police. We had to be escorted in."

"I'm not surprised," Zhong said. "The G6 summit is in a few days after all."

"The G6 summit?" Renko asked. "What is that?"

"You mean you don't know? I'm surprised," Zhong's eyes grew wide. "It's the Global 6, all 6 nations are meeting to discuss the actions of the Dark Hand and how to proceed."

"All 6?" Pāru spoke up. "Does this mean the Air Nomads are taking part too?"

"Certainly," Zhong replied. "How do you not know?"

"The monks thought that it would be best for Renko if he were detached from the world," Pāru said. "At least during his air bending training. It looks like we all got a little too detached."

"I wish someone had told me," Renko said. "If there's going to be a meeting of world leaders, the Avatar needs to be there."

"Well," Zhong said. "We can talk about that when you're all settled at grandma's."

"Right," Renko said. "This is another something I have to focus on."

After a short drive, the gang arrived at a much older part of the city. The fires from the actions of the Red Lotus in the era of Avatar Korra didn't appear to touch this region. The houses were tall and wide with green tiled roofs breaking up the tan and beige colors of the houses. Narrow alleyways separated the houses and neatly manicured lawns layout front. Zhong stopped the car in front of the house with a sign that read 'Ridhya for President' sticking up from the dirt.

"And we're here!" Zhong said cheerily.

The five of them exited the car and the front door to the house opened. A stout dark-skinned woman with thick gray hair stepped out. Her face lit up and the corners of her mouth rose in a smile. She opened her arms and said,

"Welcome back grandson."

Meanwhile

"Again."

Kuzo placed his index and ring fingers together on both hands and closed his eyes. He sidestepped and spun his arms in an intricate fashion causing sparks to shoot from his fingertips. With a flick of his fingers, lightning shot from his fingertips and thunder roared after it. The blue sparks cracked and split into the open air leaving a trail of smoke and the smell of ozone.

"Well done Prince Kuzo," a muscular man with a thin black mustache spoke. He and Kuzo stood on the same battlefield that Renko and Kuzo had their sparring match so long ago. Panting slightly Kuzo said,

"Thank you Sifu Sen."

"I was delighted to hear that you wished to resume your training," Sen said. "I know how difficult these past few months have been for you."

"All the more reason to train," Kuzo replied. "It helps to relieve the stress."

Sen looked over Kuzo's shoulder and saw Shō accompanied by two royal guards approach. He cleared his throat to get Kuzo's attention. In response, he stood straight but kept his back to his cousin. A frown appeared on his brow.

"You wanted to see me?" Shō said.

"I did," Kuzo curtly replied. "Several days ago."

"You know how busy the life of a prince is," Shō said.

"And I will soon be head of this family," Kuzo turned around. "I would appreciate it if my summons were responded to faster even in spite of the busy life of a prince."

"But you're still my little cousin aren't you?"

Kuzo's frown deepened.

"Look just calm down," Shō said. "I was out inspecting some naval ships out at sea, I headed for shore as quick as I could."

"Regardless," Kuzo's face did not grow softer. "You suggested that all of our best troops be moved to Whale Tail Island. Why?"

"Because I believe that we need to end this war on terror quickly. Our best troops can do that."

Kuzo gave him a look.

"I'm not planning anything sneaky," Shō rolled his eyes.

"No," Kuzo said. "But you are third in line for the throne."

"Is that what this is about? Kuzo, you're trying to connect dots that aren't there."

"Maybe," Kuzo started to grow doubtful. "The G6 Summit is in a few days and I need to finish preparing for it. Please do a review of all of the remaining guards in the Capitol."

"Why can't Izumi do that?"

"Because Izumi is helping me prepare and," he took a pause. "I want you to do it."

The two cousins stared each other down for a moment. Kuzo was finding himself almost standing on his toes to look Shō in the eye. Finally, Sen cleared his throat again and the two relatives remembered he was there. Shō then rolled his eyes.

"Fine," he said. "May I go now? I wanted to take Koa out tonight."

"You're free to go."

Shō turned on his heel and walked back in the direction that he came accompanied by the two guards. Sen rubbed his chin.

"My prince," he said. "You are being rather hostile."

Kuzo took a deep sigh and rubbed his fists into his blue eyes.

"I'm just tired. And it feels as if everyone in this city is against me."

"Well," Sen replied. "It may be that everyone is."

"Wonderful."

"Allow me to explain," Sen paused. "You will be Fire Lord and as such, the burden on your head will be heavy. On top of that, everyone will think that they can do a better job than you and as such, they will be against you."

"So then is there no one I can trust?"

Sen shrugged his shoulders.

"That is determined by your own judgment."

"My own judgment," Kuzo repeated. "But whatever, I still have to finish getting ready. Ua gave me a preview of her show to my aides. I figured I would have plenty of time on the flight to the Earth States to watch it."

"This will be your first time to the nation since the inauguration of their president isn't it?"

"Yeah," Kuzo said. And since I first met Renko, he thought to himself.

"I wish you a safe journey, my Prince."

That night in Ba Seng Sei

Renko and Ahmad shared a room in grandma's house. They slept on a bunk bed whose beds were only slightly bigger than twin size. Ahmad looked up at the bed above him.

"Hey Ren, are you still awake?"

"Yeah, I am," Renko said as he massaged his stomach. Grandma prepared a massive dinner for him and his friends. There were bowls filled with rice, kimchi, unagi, and every other dish imaginable. Renko was now regretting the number of dishes he had.

"Your grandma is nice," Ahmad said.

"Even when she pinched your cheeks and said how cute you were?" Renko teased.

"Well," Ahmad trailed off. Then he said, "And how many cousins do you have again?"

"Too many."

"Hmmmm."

"Will I get to meet your family someday?"

"Maybe," Ahmad said. "How do you want us to proceed tomorrow?"

"Well," Renko got off the top bunk and sat on Ahmad's bunk. He had to duck his head as he sat. "Tiulo has to check in with the White Lotus. I'm sure they're on high alert already. You and Pāru should probably take to the skies and survey the city."

"What about you?"

"I don't know," Renko admitted. "I wish Koa were here, she would know what the Dark Hand could be planning."

"Are you sure they're going to attack the city?"

"No."

Ahmad was quiet and gave Renko a look but realized that he couldn't see it in the dark. He nudged him with his foot to get his attention. Renko turned.

"Whatever you decide," Ahmad said. "I'll be here."

"Thank you," Renko nudged him with his fist. "I appreciate you being here."

Then, a realization came to Ahmad.

"Prince Kuzo will be here soon," he said. "You and he will be together at the meeting of world leaders."

"I already know what he would say," Renko said. "He would tell me to focus on my Avatar training instead of worrying about him."

"You mean worrying about the Dark Hand?"

"What did I say?"

"You said worrying about him."

"Oh," Renko said. "Well, in any case, I have to worry about both."

"Renko," Ahmad said. His eyes had adjusted to the darkness and looked the Avatar in the eye.

Renko raised an eyebrow.

"We'll worry about it tomorrow," Ahmad said. "Let's get some rest for now."

Renko nodded and moved to stand back up but Ahmad stopped him by grabbing his shoulder. Renko turned back confused.

"Don't think too deeply about this," Ahmad said as he pulled Renko in for a kiss. It was a soft kiss but it said more than what Ahmad could say. They both pulled back and stared at each other. Then Ahmad felt a blush creep on his face and he prayed Renko couldn't see it.

"Well, goodnight," Ahmad said as he turned over and pretended to go to sleep. He felt Renko place a hand on his shoulder.

"Goodnight Ahmad." 

Author's note: Hello everyone. I apologize for the lack of an upload for over a month. Please forgive me :)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.4K 100 10
Continuation of Book 1, Please read that before reading this. After discovering that she is the newest avatar. Jeongyeon and her friends head to the...
19.3K 742 17
Lin begins to explore her past and discovers what her future could hold... KyaLinLin
210 25 13
Time is funny...It helps us heal, grow, and change. But...not all of those changes are for the best. In the years leading up to her death, Avatar Kor...
50.3K 1.8K 45
Water. Earth. Fire. Air. The four elements of the world, all work together in harmony for the benefit of those born into it. However, the balance of...