Chapter 28: When We Change

A couple of hours after their big landing at the palace, Renko found himself standing in front of a mirror trying to button an overly complicated shirt. It had buttons, zippers, snaps, and other kinds of things that made him even more irritated than he already was. He and Kuzo had hastily explained their appearance to the world leaders and the crisis that happened below them. They were listened to, mostly, but in the end, no one was in a position to really do anything. Plus, they were wet, sleep-deprived, and probably smelled a little.

So, Renko stood in a small but opulent bedroom inside the former royal palace. He had taken a decent nap and bathed. The room reminded him of Kuzo's bedroom only it was draped with yellow and green colors. It was weird being in a place like this again, even if no one of actual royalty lived there. He had gotten used to the modest dwellings of the Air Nomads or just sleeping on a skybison. There was a knock on the door.

"Hey, ya decent?" Kuzo poked his head through the door. Renko's shirt was only half done up.

"At this point, would it really matter if I wasn't?" Renko asked.

Kuzo shrugged and stepped fully into the door. His outfit made much more sense. It was a practical white dress shirt with dark crimson robes covering it like a jacket. His hair was in a bun with the shiny golden crown piece on top. He looked at Renko wryly.

"What are you wearing?"

"This stupid thing my grandma picked out," Renko said turning back to the mirror. He fumbled with another button but gave up.

"Here," Kuzo walked up to him. He squatted down and started with the bottom of the shirt. Renko realized that when he first met Kuzo, having him be so close and so low would have made him blush. Now, it almost felt natural.

"And...oh, you still have it," Kuzo had worked his way up Renko's torso but stopped when a blue stone necklace caught his eye.

"Well, yeah," Renko replied. "It reminds me of you and I've gotten used to wearing it."

"I guess," Kuzo couldn't find the words. "I guess I'm just surprised."

"Why?"

"It's just you've changed. You aren't the same. Maybe after all this time, you would have lost it."

"Well, yeah," Renko replied. "A lot has happened and we've been apart for a while. It may have gotten misplaced a few times."

"I guess, after seeing you with your little friend I assumed maybe things had changed in a different way."

"What are you talking about?"

"We don't know how long we're going to be apart. What will happen if we change so much we don't think of each other the same way?"

They looked at each other in the eyes for a moment before they heard footsteps. Renko was about to remind Kuzo that he was the one who told him to go with the Air Nomads. The door had been left slightly ajar. Ahmad walked up and he could see almost directly into the room.

"Um Renko," he said. "Can I talk to you when you have a minute?"

"Oh sorry," Kuzo said. He hurried to finish buttoning up Renko's shirt. "I was just about done anyway. Meet me in the guest quarters, Renko. I have to give you a rundown of the world leaders."

He quickly finished with Renko and opened the door all the way to let Ahmad in. He then slipped behind and closed the door on his way out. Ahmad looked at Renko confused.

"What on Earth are you wearing?" he asked.

"Sigh," Renko nearly threw his hands up in frustration. "I'm changing."

"No-no it doesn't look bad, just," Ahmad had no words.

"I'm changing," Renko stated flatly. "What did you want to talk about?"

"After we're done here," Ahmad looked him in the eye. "I'm going to ask for a different assignment at another Air Temple."

"But-but why?"

"Renko, you're very important to me but it's hard."

"Okay, first Kuzo starts talking nonsense and now this."

"That's just it," Ahmad said. "The way you look at Kuzo is the way I look at you."

Ahmad then proceeded to tell him how he felt. How, after hearing about the Summer Solstice Festival in the Fire Nation, how in awe Ahmad felt. How honored he was to be able to meet and talk to someone as strong and talented as Renko. Over time, as they flew together and studied Air Bending together, he really began to feel for him and longed to spend more time with him.

"Remember the Lady in the Water festival a little while ago?" Ahmad asked. "I should have just told you then. But, I was too afraid."

He continued.

"But now, I'm not afraid. Renko, I can't deny the feelings I have for you. But I also can't deny myself happiness. I can't have you. I think the only way I can get over that, get over you, is to give myself some distance."

"Bu-, "Renko tried to say.

"Don't its fine, I already put in the request. After we leave, I'll still keep in touch," he reached out and grabbed Renko's hand. "We'll always be friends. I just need some time."

And with that, Ahmad turned and walked out.

Renko stared at the closed door unsure of what to say or how to feel. He realized that he took Ahmad for granted and always expected him to be at his side. What was he offering in return? He had no answer.