Chapter 1: A Teacher and His Student

The sun began to peek its head over the horizon. Bands of light stretched up the sky as the sun rose. Kuzo and Renko stood on opposite ends of a metal plated battlefield. Two more individuals stood on either side of Kuzo. Kiawe was a dark-skinned man of about twenty and Pele was a woman with blonde hair. The three of them stood in tight-fitting sweatpants and tank tops. They stared down the field at Renko. Renko opted for cutoff jeans and a vest. He wanted full freedom of his arms.

The light from the sun hit the three fire benders and the Avatar. Renko's breathing became deeper and deeper. His heart beat faster and faster and a heat rose inside of him. He lifted his foot to strike the ground when,

"Wait!" a shrill scream tore over their heads.

A dark-haired girl in pig-tails started to shout instructions at a rather frustrated looking camera crew. Two men in video recorders threw their hands up as Ua, the pig-tailed girl, began adjusting angles and lighting features on the cameras. The heavy cameras had cranks on their sides. The woman working the boom microphone pulled out a lollipop and sucked on it in boredom. Every piece of equipment was marked with the blue sail of Varrick International.

They, with several other people, stood on a platform that jutted out over the battlefield. They stood to watch the benders fight in an excavated crater below them. Koa stood in the armor of the royal guard complete with a red breastplate and leggings. Her strawberry blonde hair cascaded down her shoulders with curls. She rolled her eyes at the interruption and scratched behind Nashi's ears. Nashi, the Spring-tailed tiger cat, sat patiently on her heels. She was as tall as Koa's elbow and her tail curled as tight as a spring. The stripes on her fur stood out as dark bands across her powerful figure. Shō stood next to her. He towered over Koa and his broad shoulders took up the space of two people.

The other group of people was Tiulo, his mossy green eyes glowing brightly in the early morning sun, and three elders from the White Lotus. Sud stood with his hands behind his back watching. An air bender and a fire bender stood amongst them. They all wore the white robes brandished with a lotus flower.

"My dear Kuzo?" Ua shouted down to him tightening the angle of the camera. He clenched his jaw and gave her a look. "Can you turn just a little to your left? Your full body isn't in the shot."

"Is that better?" he shouted up to her. "Can we go now?"

"Hmmmm..." she tweaked one last knob on the camera. "Okay! You're good to go!"

"Finally."

In a flash of heat and light, Kuzo kicked out his foot and sent a jet of fire towards Renko. Kiawe and Pele followed suit and three streams of fire headed straight for the Avatar. The metal tile glowed under the immense light and the air turned dry and hot. In an explosion of energy, Renko was engulfed in flames. All that stood was a bonfire.

The watching crowd gripped the railing and waited. Sud brought a hand to his mouth. It was a pensive gesture.

Then, out of the bonfire, three balls of fire arched out towards the three attackers. Kuzo, Kiawe, and Pele rolled to dodge the blasts. Slowly, out from the bonfire, Renko walked unscathed. He fell to one knee punching the metal ground. The metal bunched up as a quake and caused the three fire benders to wobble and lose their footing. Renko leaped forward and sent a flurry of fire towards his attackers. Kuzo deftly swatted and blocked the incoming projectiles and responded with his own flurry.

Renko dodged through them as he ran forward. He jumped and kicked downward sending a heatwave crashing down on Kiawe knocking him out. Pele whipped a band a flame from her hands and cracked it in the air over Renko's head. Renko caught the whip and the two tugged at either end to claim it. Pele won and cracked it at his feet. He jumped back and roared like a tigerdillo. A furious stream of fire raged from his mouth and overpowered the blonde leaving her steaming on the ground.