Chapter 2: Blue Eyes in the Night

Kuzo woke up in the middle of the night. It was dark but he could feel Renko's body against his under the blanket. He slowly slid out from the bed and found his robe. He walked out to the balcony. The nearly full moon illuminated the courtyard below him. It was oddly cool out and the breeze made the hair stand up on his arm. Renko mumbled something and turned over in his sleep. He was so cute when he slept.

"I hope it stays like this," Kuzo said quietly to himself. Things had finally started to calm down after a year and he just wanted some amount of consistency in his life. Renko had been that for a year. He turned suddenly when he heard a rustle above him. Something was making a scratching sound and it was coming towards him. He lit a fire dagger in one hand and tensed himself to strike. A low growl came from the darkness above him and two glowing eyes appeared. Two glowing cat eyes. Kuzo relaxed as Nashi dropped in front him. The tiger cat cocked her head and dropped a dead ratviper in front of him. She nudged it over to him with her nose.

"Oh..." he said. "Thanks."

She seemed to understand. She turned and sauntered over to the bed. She hopped on and curled up at the base of Renko's feet.

At least she made room for me this time, Kuzo thought. He turned and faced the outside again. If only he could freeze time. But alas, as a reagent, he had a lot to handle. Tomorrow, he will meet with the president of the Earth States. Only this time, he was acting Fire Lord. Oh, and he was dating the president's son who also happened to be the Avatar. Yeah. Kuzo turned back to face Renko asleep. But for now, he was going to enjoy the moment.

Meanwhile, on an island chain far removed from the capital, another boy with blue eyes sat awake. His black hair normally covered his face but he held it back with a hairpin. His finger absentmindedly rubbed the scar on his chin. His name was Ippei and he sat with his back facing the temple compound built centuries ago by a long-dead society. He faced the ocean with a frown sat his face. A baton lay across his lap and at the push of a button it would be charged with electricity. Every time the waves washed against the rocky beach his free hand would twitch. He didn't want to admit it but the night spooked him.

Eventually, he heard a hawk call out in the distance. He stood and stuck out his arm. The bird of prey landed on his arm and looked at him with its beady eyes. It was outfitted with a strap that held a leather pouch to carry written messages. The pouch had the clear insignia of the Fire Nation. Ippei removed the message from the pouch and read it. His face grew softer as he read. He expected a more detailed update on the actions of the Avatar but was satisfied with what he received. It appeared the Avatar's time in the Fire Nation was over. That meant two things. One, the Avatar has finished his fire bending training. And two, Ippei's time in the Fire Nation was also over.