Chapter 27: The Summit

Koa was busying leading the prisoners out of the cavern using the hole Renko punched through. Tiulo and Pāru used the air balloon to escort them up in groups of five. Kuzo and Ahmad took turns blasting the remaining mecha tanks with fire and wind until they were left in pieces on the ground. Renko, in his rage, demolished any Dark Hand structure left standing in the cavern. He tore at the metal foundations of every tent and shack he could find and then lit them on fire. Kuzo and Ahmad stopped.

"Renko!" Ahmad shouted at him to get his attention. He was startled by the crazed look in Rekno's eyes as he turned towards him. After a second of looking into Ahmad's face, Renko relaxed. He ran up and hugged the air bender.

"I'm so glad you're okay," he said as he buried Ahmad's head in his chest.

"I'm glad you're okay too," Ahmad replied.

"And me three," Kuzo stepped up. He stuck his hand out to Ahmad. "I'm Prince Kuzo of the Fire Nation. Thanks for keeping an eye on him for me."

"Uh," Ahmad didn't really know what to say. "He means a lot to me."

"He means a lot to all of us," Koa said as she approached the three guys. Her hair was a little frizzled after the frantic battle.

"The police are above ground," she said. "They are helping the civilians find their loved ones."

"Good," Kuzo withdrew his unshaken hand. "Renko, if you're up for it, we still have a summit to get to."

"After what we've seen here," Renko said. "We have to tell the other world leaders."

"I'll come too," Ahmad said.

"I don't think that's a good idea," Kuzo said. "You're a little young. Plus you must be tired."

"I'm not that much younger than Renko when he found out he was the Avatar," Ahmad replied. He was more than a little annoyed at the prince. "And yes I am tired. But who better than me to describe the conditions of captivity."

"Ahmad's right," Renko said. "Besides, I don't know where I would be without him. I've come to rely on him."

"Well, whatever it is you three decide," Pāru walked up now. "Can you let us know?"

"She's right," Koa said. "Some of us should stay and help the police. I not only swore to protect the Fire Lord and his heirs but also to protect the innocent. I have to make sure these people are safe."

"Kuzo," Renko looed directly into Kuzo's eyes. "You, Ahmad and I will take Lhasa to the palace to meet with the other world leaders."

"In that case," Kuzo replied. "Koa, go with the others to make sure the civilians get home safely and radio back to the Fire Nation. We need to make sure this same thing isn't happening back home."

With that, the team split up into two groups. Renko, Kuzo, and Ahmad all flew off on Lhasa in the direction of the old Earth Kingdom Royal Palace which used to be the seat of government when the Earth States was a monarchy. The sun had already begun to rise above the horizon and the daylight made Ahmad squint as he flew. Even with the sun rising the chill in the air made the three of them shiver. Even worse, the sky was partly cloudy. As high up as they were they could feel little ice crystal in the air. It was a sign of rain later in the day. It didn't matter anyway, Ahmad knew the palace was right in the center of the city. What no one accounted for was the heightened security surrounding the palace.