Prologue

Prologue

A dark haired blue eyed young man sat in a squishy armchair next to a small night stand. A soft lamp sat on it and cast his usually pale face in a warm glow. His arms were draped over the chair and in one hand he held a short glass filled with amber liquid. A lemon wedge was neatly adored on its rim. A window was open and warm summer air drifted into the room. It tickled his skin not covered with a robe.

A door opened to his right. A tall dark haired person walked into the room. They wore a towel around their waist and was furiously drying their thick black hair with another. They completely walked past the blue eyed boy.

"Well hello handsome," Prince Kuzo of the Fire Nation spoke up from his seat. The other person turned suddenly and their gray eyes widened behind thin rimmed glasses.

"Hello to you too," Renko, the young Avatar, said giving up on trying to dry his unruly and curly hair.

"How was your training session today?"

"Fine," Renko said. He sat down in a chair next to Kuzo's. "I have to be honest, I need new sparring partners. Kiawe and Pele are great but after a year of training, I think I'm ready to move on to something more challenging."

"That's only because you had such a great teacher to start you out," Kuzo said with a self-congratulatory smile.

"Hey now," Renko said. He cocked his head and gave Kuzo a grin. "Let's not give ourselves too much credit."

Renko glanced at the glass Kuzo was holding and made a face.

"Please tell me that that is your first one."

"Surprisingly yes," Kuzo said looking a little embarrassed.

"How did it go with cabinet today?"

"Not well," Kuzo sat back and took a long sip of his drink. "The Prime Minister is threatening to take a declaration of war to Parliament and since I am not technically the Fire Lord they don't need me to sign it."

Renko thought back to Fire Lord Tahno, Kuzo's father, who had been injured a year ago during the invasion of the Black Hand. He lay in the hospital in a coma. He hadn't stirred.

"But the Dark Hand is not a nation. Are they looking for a war on terror? That's ridiculous."

"They want to invade Whale Tail Island and subdue any threats that may arise," Kuzo replied. "And, your dad is coming on a diplomat visit in a few days. They hope to work out a deal between the Fire Nation and the United Federation of Earth States so that we may take combined military action."

That will end well, Renko thought sarcastically.

"Also, the Party wants action taken against the assailants that attacked you in the catacombs."

Renko thought back to the three combatants that set explosives deep in the Dragon Bone Catacombs on the summer solstice. Renko and Tiulo combined overpowered them and they were taken into custody. Interrogating them had failed.

"What if I suggest to the Fire Sages that they crown you Fire Lord? As the Avatar, they have to at least listen to my suggestion," Renko said.

"As long as my father breathes he is the Fire Lord," Kuzo spoke with a harshness he didn't mean. He saw Renko raise an eyebrow.

"I'm sorry," Kuzo collected himself. "Thanks but I can't push him aside like that. Besides, the House of Commons already doesn't like me, I can't have the entire government think that I'm using the Avatar to grab power."

They sat in silence for a few minutes. Renko tried to think of something that may help Kuzo's situation but couldn't. Finally, he spoke.

"Well," he said. "If you didn't already know, Sud and several other members of the White Lotus are coming. Tiulo told me."

Renko lit a ball of fire in his palm. It pulsed like a heartbeat. Each breath the flame would grow and shrink.

"I am almost certain it's to test my fire bending."

"I know," Kuzo replied. "I have the palace planning for that and for the interview tomorrow."

Varrick International was opening a news network in the United Republic and the Southern Water Tribe. Ua Varrick wanted to begin her new venture with an exclusive "Day in the Palace" program. A program where people could get a sneak peek into the lives of the world's oldest monarchy. Inevitably Renko got roped in as well and he would be a center piece of the show.

"Will you ever stop owing Ua favors?" Renko asked. "And, maybe we begin the interview with a sparring match? The teacher and his student. It would act as my fire bending test and it would highlight how we got to know each other."

"Not a bad idea," Kuzo submitted. "I'll have the training pitch cleared for tomorrow."

He took a pause and looked at Renko's toned and muscled chest. His core was becoming more defined and his caramel colored skin looked enticing. The young metal bender had really matured the last year and was, to Kuzo's dismay, a couple of centimeters taller than the young prince.

"I know you just took a bath but," Kuzo started nodding his head to the bed chamber.

"Oh?" Renko gave a smirk that he clearly learned from Kuzo. "What are you implying?"

"You know," Kuzo gave a wink and stood up. He stretched his arms up displaying his red underwear under his robe.

"I guess I can take another one. After you my prince."