Chapter 34: Closing

With the ruins of the summit behind them Renko, the swamp bender, and the two air benders waited in the palace stables as air acolytes and palace staff readied the saddles of three sky bison. Pāru stood to the side speaking with her mother. The rain had mostly stopped except for a few showers across the city. The evening sunset tentatively poked through the clouds.

"So that did not go well," Tiulo said aloud. He grabbed Renko's shoulder. "Are you okay?"

"I've been better," Renko replied. He thought about telling him what he told Ahmad earlier in the day but he didn't feel like repeating himself. He didn't know what to do next. He supposes he did need to master air bending, he still felt like a beginner and had never successfully flown in a wingsuit. And he could learn to be more spiritual from the Air Nomads. His weird visions and dreams had mostly stopped but he couldn't figure out what they meant.

"I think I need to refocus on my air bending training," he added. "Air is the element of freedom but I've been trapped in my mind. Returning to the Western Air Temple could be for me."

"I think that's a good idea," Tiulo said. "But, a vacation could be good too. I have some vacation time saved up. I was thinking I might go home for a few weeks. You're welcome to join."

"I'd like that."

"What are you going to be up to Ahmad?" Tiulo turned to Ahmad next.

"I'm going to finish my training at the Northern Air Temple," he said. "In about a year I can take my test to get my tattoos. Renko, you could maybe take the test at the same time. Your air bending is a little rough but you can do it."

"I can't even fly..." he replied dryly.

"I'm sure it's just a mental block. You'll get it," he paused for a moment. "There's something at the northern temple that might help. I'll see if I can send it to you."

Renko wanted to ask what that something was but was interrupted by an alarm. The alarm rang across the palace followed by a siren that was so loud it felt as if he was getting hit in the head by a hammer. Everyone pressed their hands to their ears.

"What is that!?" Ahmad yelled over the noise.

"Idk! I think it's the air defense alarm!" Renko responded. "Let's check it out!"

The two of them climbed on Lhasa's back (one of the three sky bison in the courtyard) and with a "yip yip" from Ahmad the two were up in the air above the palace along with military and police airships.

"Something is coming," Renko said from the saddle. "I can't make out what it is."

"It looks...blue?" Ahmad responded from the reins.

Sure enough, rapidly approaching the palace was a creature glimmering sapphire blue in the fading light.

"It's a dragon," Renko said. He remembered visiting the dragon hatchery with Kuzo a while ago. He'd never forget the bright shining scales of the fully adult dragons and their massive wings.

"What's a dragon doing so far from the Fire Nation? I thought the royal family kept them secluded from the world?" Ahmad asked.

"Take us closer," Renko said.

"...you want us to get closer to a random dragon..." Ahmad replied.

"Yes."

"Well, I've made it this far in life I guess. Yip yip," he flicked Lhasa's reins and steered her closer to the winged serpent.

The closer they got the more they began to realize that someone was riding the beast. Someone who was slumped over the horns of the dragon with long tangled hair and wearing a tattered robe. The dragon itself looked worn out and tired. Its breathing was labored and the eyes that were normally the size of dinner plates were nearly squinted shut.