Chapter 9: Stay Cool

Baoshi sat across from Renko in her office. Bookshelves lined the walls along with several artifacts from past Air Bending masters. They sat crisscrossed at a low table with a swirl at its center. A teapot was atop the table.

"Allow me," Renko said before Baoshi could light the tea kettle. He stuck two fingers out and ignited them with fire. He touched them to the spark rocks under the kettle. The smell of green tea soon wafted into the air.

"Avatar Renko," she said. "I wanted to ask about the Dark Hand."

Renko sat up straighter.

"Pāru has told me that they apparently followed you out of the Fire Nation and attacked you en route to the temple."

"That is correct," Renko said. He took the tea kettle and poured her a cup. "I don't know how, but they seem to know our plans with incredible detail. We've been ambushed on a train, in the skies, and they even had counters to some of our defenses during the attack on the Capital."

"What do they want?" Baoshi's face remained still and calm.

"According to Tiulo and the White Lotus," Renko began. "The Dark Hand wants to separate Humans and Spirits. They view themselves as noble secularists against the terrors of Spiritual interference."

"I see."

"But master," Renko said. "I don't think that is the whole story."

Baoshi sipped her tea and nodded for him to continue.

"I've had a feeling that the Dark Hand are more than they say and that perhaps someone is working as a spy for them."

"Which could explain how they always have the upper hand," she responded.

"Yes. Also, I've been having these dreams."

"Dreams?"

"Yes. I'm either drowning, fighting, or experiencing something that I can't describe." He looked down at his hands.

"It's like, I'm causing or creating these things but it feels like I'm in someone else's body."

"Hmmm," Baoshi said. She pulled a newspaper from behind her and laid it on the table. On the front cover was a picture of Kuzo. He stood with the crown on his head and a robe over his shoulder. His face was stern. The heading read "Fire Nation Teams up With Earth States and Southern Water Tribe" and the subscript read "Joint military exercises to ramp up on Whale Tail Island."

Renko's heart skipped a beat when he saw the photo of Kuzo. Then, he read the header. His eyebrows drew together.

"Military exercises," he said. "They're using those words to hide something."

He looked up at Baoshi and shook his head.

"But," he said. "I'm here to learn air bending not re-involve myself in international politics."

"And how are you adjusting to life in the temple?" Baoshi asked

"Very well," Renko said. "I've felt very welcome since day one and my air bending training has been going well too."

"I'm glad to hear it," Baoshi said. "Pāru seems quite taken by you."

"Oh haha," Renko nervously laughed.