Chapter 31: A Storm is Brewing

Tiulo was walking back to the upper ring carrying a black umbrella to protect himself from the bitterly cold water that fell from above. He clutched a letter to his chest protecting it from the wind and rain. It gave him permission to enter the palace and meet up with Renko and others. To his back stood the three-story-tall White Lotus building. The flag depicting a white lotus flower against a blue field flapped madly in the maelstrom as it sat on top of the building.

"I think if I keep heading east..." Tiulo had to remember how to get to the palace. He stopped at a crosswalk and watched the Satomobiles zoom by. They splashed through the puddles on the side of the road soaking those unlucky enough to stand too close.

"Ugh, I don't remember," he conceded to himself. He saw a small shop across the street. "I'll just ask them for help."

When it was clear to cross he took a step. As soon as his foot hit the ground, the ground began to shake. Then, a crack ripped across the earth and a hole opened up beneath the city block in front of him. Everything, from the shop to which he was headed, to nearby Satomobiles slid down into the dark abyss below. Cracks like lightning could be heard across the city, signaling that this was not the only sinkhole.

Back at the palace, Kuzo stood out on the veranda trying to see what was happening. The flashing white and blue lights of police vehicles flashed through the city but the gray rain and black sky made it difficult to see. He turned when he heard footsteps behind him.

"Oh it's you guys," he said to the two air benders walking out. Ahmad and Pāru both came out to see what was happening.

"We felt an earthquake inside," Pāru said. "I'm guessing you felt it too?"

"Yeah but I don't think that was an earthquake," Kuzo said. He waved to a dark-skinned girl who looked like the same age as he.

"This is my sister, Princes Koyukie," he said. "This is Ahmad and Pāru right?"

"The one and only," Pāru said. She gestured to Ahmad who wore a frown. "Ignore him. He's had a rough few days."

"We all have," Kuzo replied. The four of them looked out across the city wondering what was going on beneath the haze of rain. Finally, Kuzo spoke.

"I'll gather some guards and we'll try to help the police as much as we can. That quake couldn't have been good."

"I'll join you," Koyukie said. Kuzo whistled and seemingly from nowhere, Koa and her guards in shiny gold armor appeared. They took their heavy plates off and fell in line with Koa at the head.

"Move out!" She cried as the guards sprinted down the steps of the palace and into the courtyard below. She signaled to Kuzo as she ran off after them.

"We should help too," Ahmad looked up at Pāru. "I think master Baoshi brought some rubber wingsuits. We can use them to fly in the storm."

"We'll need help. We'll look for Renko and Tiulo first," Pāru added.

"Do you mind if we come with to find Renko?" Kuzo asked.

"Uhm," Ahmad started to say but was stopped by Kuzo's sister.

"We don't have time," she said. "Let's just do what we can now. Come on."

She grabbed her brother by the arm and dragged him down to the courtyard below.

"If Renko is still at the Jasmine Dragon, I can pick him up from there," Ahmad said. "It isn't far. It'll be easy to find from the clouds."

"I'll track down Tiulo then," Pāru said. "We'll split up to help the most people we can."