Chapter 25: Punch Through

It was still dark and chilly when Renko caught up with Koa and Pāru. Both groups landed near a gate that led out of the inner wall and into the countryside beyond. The smell of old oil and burnt meat permeated the air. Kuzo held his hand aloft as a ball of fire flickered in his hand illuminating the area.

"I'm surprised she was even able to see it," Koa said. "We were so high up."

"I just flew a little closer to the ground is all," Pāru said. "But look."

She held up what looked to be a torn orange fabric with a snap on one end. Dried rose petals lay scattered on the ground nearby.

"It's a piece of clothing?" Kuzo asked.

"Not just any clothing," Pāru said. "This was part of an air bender wingsuit."

"Let me see it," Renko grabbed it from her. It felt silky and smooth to the touch.

"What else can we gather?" Kuzo looked to Pāru for answers.

"I don't know," she answered. "There are too many footprints to reliably assume they're his and it's not like we have an eelhound or shirshu to sniff him out."

"Can Lhasa try?" Tiulo looked back at the sky bison. In return, she pawed sadly at the ground.

"There's gotta be some way," Renko looked pensive for a moment. He felt a hand on his shoulder.

"We'll think of something," Kuzo said to him. "And I have a suspicion he isn't the only person missing."

Koa turned to the hot air balloon pilot everyone had already forgotten was there.

"Tap into the local police scanners," she ordered him. "Find out if any other missing person reports have been filed."

"Yes ma'am," he said. He climbed back into the balloon and started to fiddle with the radio.

Meanwhile,

"Everyone, follow me!" Konba yelled out as he opened each cell one by one. The scared people rushed out confused by the ensuing chaos that surrounded them. The green glow of the crystals illuminated their path.

Konba barreled through guard after guard to get to each cell as Ahmad lagged behind protecting their rear. He forced another gust of air down the tunnel behind them to slow down the oncoming attackers but he was getting tired.

"How many are left?" he asked as he felt his strength fade.

"Not many," Konba replied. "A couple more."

"Good," Ahmad said. "I'm already getting tired and I can't keep doing this alone."

"Just through here!"

Konba led the freed prisoners into a massive chamber filled with old stone buildings and a broken fountain in the center. The only problem was, a line of black mecha tanks blocked their escape.

"This isn't good," Konba stopped in his tracks as the tanks sparked to life. Their porthole type windows glowed a dim yellow cutting through the green light of the chamber. The ground shook as they took heavy steps towards him and the freed captives.