Chapter 33 (revised) : Frustration

Izumi walked through the palace halls towards the bed chambers of her cousin Kuzo. Her dark hair was done up in a tight bun atop her head and she wore a modest robe made from red silk. The tail of the robe was slightly burned, a memento from her morning spent at the Dragon hatchery, and she carried with her a bowl of pet food and bowl of water. She squinted her brown eyes as she tried to balance the bowls and push open the door to Kuzo's rooms.

"Nashi!" she cried softly into the open room. The room had been recently dusted before she arrived and the staff had cleaned it after Kuzo left. When Kuzo and Renko lived here together, the place had to be tidied up routinely. She scanned the rooms but didn't see the tigercat. Perhaps Nashi had gone out hunting or was busy sunbathing. She set the food down and turned back towards the door but stopped when she saw her brother Shō walking past flanked on either side by big men in naval uniforms.

"Shō?" She asked. "What are you doing in the palace?"

"Oh uh Izumi," he stammered a little. "I didn't know you would be here."

"Well I am acting in Kuzo's place while he's away on a diplomatic mission," she said firmly. "And I have been feeding his tigercat."

"Oh right," was all he said.

"What are you doing here? I thought you were with your fleet by the Sinto Island Chain," Izumi said. "Those are important barrier islands for our nation's defense."

"I was," he said. Izumi waited for a follow-up response.

"And?" she asked when the response did not come.

"Izumi, I think you should go home."

"As soon as I am done here."

"No," Shō grabbed his sister by her shoulders. "You should go now."

The two twins shared the same eyes, but this time, Shō's eyes were different.

"Go-"

"MRRAAOUW."

The siblings nearly jumped out of their skin as the Spring-Tailed Tigercat slipped in-between their legs and meowed at them. Wrapped in its tail was a dead turtleduck. The tigercat dropped the dead creature at their feet and looked up at them expectantly.

"And take the cat with you," Shō finished. He pulled Izumi out into the hallway and shut the door behind them. The two naval men who were with him grabbed Izumi by her arms.

"If you struggle," he said. "You'll be put under house arrest."

"Excuse me?" she asked. She addressed the men holding her. "I am Princess Izumi of the Fire Nation, you will release me."

"Apologies princess," one other man spoke. "We are loyal to our Naval Commander Shō."

"Huh," she sighed softly. "Why are boys so dumb?"

She opened her mouth and roared out a stream of fire. It singed Shō's clothing to near cinders as he leaped out of the way. She twisted her arms to get out of the men's' grip and faced them. She roared again and knocked them on their butts. Her bun had come undone in the commotion.

"Oh brother," she pushed her long hair behind her ears as she turned to face Shō. "I don't know what you're planning, but I would stop now."

"It's too late sis," he said. "Phase one has already started."

When Izumi stepped back and took a fighting stance he chuckled.

"You know I'm stronger than you," he said as he took his stance.

"But you know I'm smarter," Izumi replied.

A split second later, they lunged at each other with their fists blazing and their blood boiling.