Chapter 8: A New Breeze

Renko, Pāru, and Ingo landed at a peak jutting over the abyss below. Thick pillars reached up to the roof of the cliff and kept the peak from tumbling down. Tiulo walked up to them as they landed and waved. Renko hopped off and greeted him. They hugged and walked towards the center of the peak. The sun had almost nearly set and torches were dotted around. Several people stood around a raised dais in the shape of a lotus. The fires cast long shadows behind the viewing public.

"What are all these people doing here?" Renko asked. Tiulo just shrugged.

"Word got out that the Avatar was going to air bend for the first time," Pāru said. "I tried to stop them but it gets boring here after too long. We all could use a little excitement."

"Huh," Tiulo said. "No pressure or anything."

The three of them walked up to the dais. The air benders around them turned their heads to look as they approached. Up three steps stood a tall woman with her back to them. Tiulo and Pāru fell back as they got closer to the steps leaving Renko alone. The woman turned and faced Renko as he ascended. She looked like an older Pāru with longer hair. Instead of the red wingsuits sported by the younger air benders in the crowd, she sported flowing orange robes that danced in the breeze.

"Avatar Renko," she spoke with a deep voice that was pleasant to the ear. She put her fists together and bowed low at the waist.

"Welcome to the Western Air Temple. I am Baoshi a tutor here for the young air benders."

"Thank you Master Baoshi," Renko copied her bow.

"I do apologize for the lack of electricity and air conditioning," she continued. "I'm afraid these buildings are just too old for such wiring."

"I am more than comfortable," Renko replied. "I did spend my last year living on top of a volcano after all."

"Well then," Baoshi said. "The crowd is here for one thing and one thing only. Shall we give them what they want?"

"I'm ready," Renko steeled himself. "I'm ready to air bend."

Meanwhile,

Ippei sat crisscrossed on the floor deep within the Dark Hand's headquarters on the outskirts of the Fire Nation. Sitting next to him was a bald woman with dark eyes. In front of them sat the Red Haired Woman Heika. The only light in the room was a lamp that sat behind her casting her face in shadow.

"Ippei," she said. "What is your report?"

"Ma'am," Ippei stood to speak. "Our source in the Fire Nation was correct that the Avatar was leaving. He was on a White Lotus airship northeast of the Capital. We used our new fleet of airplanes to give chase but..."

"But?" Heika asked.

"But, a couple of our new airplanes were crushed like a soda can, presumably by the Avatar's metal bending. Also, the Air Nomads took us by surprise. They damaged many of our aircraft and allowed him to escape."

"It seems as if our source wasn't completely truthful," the bald woman next to Ippei spoke up. "If he really was as knowledgeable as he says he should have been known the Air Nomads would show up."

"Patience Meari," Heika gave her a dark look. "I'm sure Ippei has a plan."

The look she gave him sent a chill down his spine. The look essentially said you had better have a plan.

"Of course ma'am," he quickly said. "It's doubtful that our source was aware of the Avatar's complete plan. He isn't as close to the Avatar as we would like but he would not lie. He has something to gain from this."

"I still have not heard your plan," Heika said.

"Of course ma'am," he replied. "We cannot go after the Avatar if he is in the Air Temples. Their altitude makes them incredibly difficult to attack. We can, however, attack their many outposts across the Earth States and they travel across the continent in small groups. If we lure him to one of these outposts we may be able to capture him. Or, we could cause trouble somewhere remote and lure him that way."

"I see," Heika said. She stood and Meari stood with her. "Ippei, work with our sources across the continent and lure him away from the safety of the temples. Meari, continue with the plan in the Fire Nation."

The two nodded and turned to walk away. Ippei could feel Heika's eyes on his back. He worried about what might happen if he failed again.

At the temple,

Renko and Baoshi stood apart from each other. As Baoshi slowly walked clockwise in a circle, Renko walked opposite. Baoshi swooped her arms and a soft breeze passed through her robes. With each step, she made circles with her arms sculpting the air around her like a funnel. Renko followed her movements and felt the air move between his fingers. His heart skipped a beat as he spun that air around and around until he could hear the wind rushing past his ears.

The two kept walking and spun the wind around them like a web. A funnel formed around the two of them. The wind grew stronger and the spectators around grabbed their clothes to prevent them from blowing away. Baoshi stopped walking and pushed her hands out and around in front her. Renko followed her lead and they pushed the funnel outward. Their feet left the ground and they floated on the wind as it swirled beneath them. The crowd around them applauded as they floated back to the ground. Renko had to catch his breath.

"Wow," he breathed. "I have never felt anything like that."

"I'm very impressed Avatar," Baoshi said.

"Good job Renko!" Tiulo ran up and clapped him on his back.

"Thank you," Renko said. "Thank you Master Baoshi."

A dark haired dark eyed guy walked up to the group of them. He had a jawline that rivaled Renko's and his eyes were deep and sat beneath a strong brow. His skin was the color of caramel.

"Well done Avatar," he stuck his hand out.

"Thank you," Renko shook his hand. "And you are?"

"I'm Ahmad," he said. "I'm glad you picked up air bending so well."

"Oh?"

"Yeah, you and I will be spending a lot of time together."

With that lovely comment, he opened his wingsuit and took off into the air.