Chapter 19: Tension

"I'm Zhong, head of anthropology at Ba Seng Sei University," said the man standing in front of the Ba Seng Sei central police precinct. One could easily tell that this man was the brother of President Ridhya of the Earth States but this man did not have the face of a president. Ridhya's face was more lean and slim whereas this man had a rounder pudgier face. On top of that, the same black hair that he shared with his brother was considerably thinner on top.

Regardless of his looks, he looked at his nephew warmly.

"Renko," he said in a voice, not unlike his brother's. "It has been so long. You're taller than I am now!"

"It's good to see you," Renko said. "I'm sorry for dropping in at such short notice."

He looked over his group of ragged young people. Ahmad had a leaf sticking out of his hair and Tiulo had a glazed look in his eyes as he stared around the city. Even Renko himself looked weathered from the trip and his face could certainly use a wash. Pāru was the only one who looked sharp and presentable standing tall just like her mother.

"You don't think grandma is going to mind having three strangers staying over do you?"

"I wouldn't think so," Zhong looked thoughtful for a moment. Then he said, "It's easier to ask for forgiveness than it is for permission."

Renko smiled. He always liked this side of his uncle.

"You didn't have a hard time getting into the city did you?" Zhong asked generally to the group.

"Actually," Ahmad said. "When we were flying over we got intercepted by the police. We had to be escorted in."

"I'm not surprised," Zhong said. "The G6 summit is in a few days after all."

"The G6 summit?" Renko asked. "What is that?"

"You mean you don't know? I'm surprised," Zhong's eyes grew wide. "It's the Global 6, all 6 nations are meeting to discuss the actions of the Dark Hand and how to proceed."

"All 6?" Pāru spoke up. "Does this mean the Air Nomads are taking part too?"

"Certainly," Zhong replied. "How do you not know?"

"The monks thought that it would be best for Renko if he were detached from the world," Pāru said. "At least during his air bending training. It looks like we all got a little too detached."

"I wish someone had told me," Renko said. "If there's going to be a meeting of world leaders, the Avatar needs to be there."

"Well," Zhong said. "We can talk about that when you're all settled at grandma's."

"Right," Renko said. "This is another something I have to focus on."

After a short drive, the gang arrived at a much older part of the city. The fires from the actions of the Red Lotus in the era of Avatar Korra didn't appear to touch this region. The houses were tall and wide with green tiled roofs breaking up the tan and beige colors of the houses. Narrow alleyways separated the houses and neatly manicured lawns layout front. Zhong stopped the car in front of the house with a sign that read 'Ridhya for President' sticking up from the dirt.

"And we're here!" Zhong said cheerily.

The five of them exited the car and the front door to the house opened. A stout dark-skinned woman with thick gray hair stepped out. Her face lit up and the corners of her mouth rose in a smile. She opened her arms and said,

"Welcome back grandson."