Chapter 30: Reflection

Ippei stood on the balcony overlooking the palace. Even though the rain cast everything in a fuzzy gray halo his blue eyes were fixated on the location of the summit. Years ago, the Dark Hand purchased an upscale condo in the upper ring of the city and it conveniently overlooked the palace complex. After he was rooted out of the catacombs, he didn't know where else to go. Most of his team had been arrested and was locked up in jail. All that was left, beside himself, were Fogwai, Fogwai's experiment, and a few henchmen. The henchmen were from the Earth States and they were getting restless. They were younger than he was and from poor slums in cities like Zaofu and Omashu. They were not going to stand living in a posh apartment for much longer.

"Uh, boss?" one of his young henchmen said through the open door to his room.

"What is it?" Ippei replied not taking his eyes off of the palace.

"Miss Heika from the base in the Fire Nation is on the phone."

Ippei snapped his head back to focus on the henchmen.

"Did you tell her anything?" he asked in a panic.

"N-no," the young man replied.

Ippei hurried out the room and into the hallway where a phone sat placed on a round end table. He put the phone to his ear.

"Yes ma'am. Yes. Yes," he kept saying while praying she couldn't hear his heart beating rapidly in his chest. She could not know he released Fogwai from prison. At least, she couldn't know yet. And, he still had not captured the Avatar, although, he was close. Finally, she said something that made his stomach drop. She hung up the phone.

"Well?" the henchman said.

"Bring me Dr. Fogwai," Ippei said. "We need his experiments now. The plans in the Fire Nation are about to be executed. If we want to stay relevant, we'll have to do something big. "

Meanwhile, in the palace complex, Secret Service guards, Royal Guards, and police stood outside the throne room. With the amount of military and police protection throughout the city, there was no real reason to stand at high alert. None the less, everyone stood in neat rows in front of the elaborate stone doors that sealed off the throne room.

Sune stood among the Presidential Secret Service dressed in a dark suit. His hair had finally been cut short making his pointed face appear sharper. He kept glancing at one of the Fire Nation guards who looked familiar. She had very pale skin, strawberry blonde hair, and stood very erect eyes facing forward with a short metal spear in her hand. He could swear he had seen before but couldn't remember when or where.

"Take a picture it'll last longer," she said never turning her head to face him.

"Oh sorry," Sune replied sheepishly.

"Come on Sune," a grey old man in the same Secret Service suit scolded him. "Remember your military training."

"Yes sir," Sune stopped talking and turned his attention forward.

There was a creak and the elaborate doors opened. The world leaders and their guests stepped out followed on either side by their security personal. Sune turned his head and noticed Ridhya had remained with the Avatar and the Fire Nation prince. He strained to listen. It sounded like Renko was yelling something.